Flat Base Hardware Opinions

The DW Ultralight and Yamaha Crosstown are the best lightweight hardware packs IMO. (The DW is 18 lbs, the Yamaha is 17 lbs.) But they're also the most expensive.

Like some of you, I don't care for the look of the Yamaha Crosstown hardware either. The looks combined with costing $40 more have me leaning towards the DW Ultralight pack.

I wanna know how much the Tama Classic and Gibraltar 8700 packs weigh but haven't been able to find that information anywhere.

Do any of you have the Tama or Gibraltar packs, and a bathroom scale?

EDIT: According to this video, the Tama Classic hardware pack weighs "8kg" which is about 17.6 lbs.

Last edited:
I have both the Gibraltar flat based stands and the DW Ultralight stands. The DWs are half the weight of the Gibraltar stands (the straight stands at least). They are sturdy enough for the standard bar gigs and won’t kill your back loading in. If weight is a concern then the DW is the best choice.

The Gibraltar ones have longer legs and thus a wider footprint. They are also a good choice.

I used to think that the obsession with flat base stands was simply nostalgia, but I have to say it's nice being able to carry all of my hardware in one hand.
Flat based is lighter, but not that light. A lot of the modern flat based stands are just as heavy as some tripod based hardware. I can carry a bag of Yamaha 600 stuff in one hand too.

Flat based is lighter, but not that light. A lot of the modern flat based stands are just as heavy as some tripod based hardware. I can carry a bag of Yamaha 600 stuff in one hand too.

My entire setup of DW Ultralight stands (hihat, three straight stands, and snare stand) weighs much less than just two of my Yamaha straight stands.

I switched from Yamaha 700 stands to the Gibraltar flat based to the DW ultralights. My back thanked me with each switch.

I used to think that the obsession with flat base stands was simply nostalgia, but I have to say it's nice being able to carry all of my hardware in one hand.

Fair enough.

I love the look of the flat-base stands too, and I considered them for quite a while. However, I'm always concerned about room because I play in a lot of different places where the room is always tight. If I play outside, it's rare that the ground is flat. I have to go with stability as opposed to looks at this point.

If I thought the Crosstown hardware was really ugly, like it was painted some weird color, I might still use it. But I like the look of it. It's true that people comment on it, but I only hear positive comments. So maybe the people who don't like it just don't say anything. But it would have to be damn ugly for me to stop using something that makes my life so much easier.

If I thought the Crosstown hardware was really ugly, like it was painted some weird color, I might still use it. But I like the look of it. It's true that people comment on it, but I only hear positive comments. So maybe the people who don't like it just don't say anything. But it would have to be damn ugly for me to stop using something that makes my life so much easier.

I really like the look as well.

Am I missing something? I just bought a few Gibraltar 8609 flat based boom stands. They can totally be used as tripod stands as well. I’m not even sure why they’re advertised as flat based. They seem just as stable when they’re in a tripod position as much as when they’re flat. So it’s best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned. I would highly recommend them.

If anyone is in the market for the DW Ultralight hardware pack, get it now from Sam Ash on Reverb. It's currently $286.88. (About $304 after taxes.) They listed it as Used/Mint, and when I got it, it looked brand new to me, (in original packaging, tags still on it), for $88 less than retail! (after tax is factored in)

It appears they have a surplus of these in stock, because I bought mine from this same listing, and yet another one popped up in its place.

I had some flat-based 60’s stands and my advice about flat-based:
Do not play on “bowed” city streets.
Do not play on uneven, brick sidewalks.
Do not play outside on lumpy grass.
Do not play on irregular, stony lots.
Do not play on uneven, barn flooring.
Do pack wooden shims of various thicknesses and widths and 1 or 2 sand bag weights.

I had some flat-based 60’s stands and my advice about flat-based:
Do not play on “bowed” city streets.
Do not play on uneven, brick sidewalks.
Do not play outside on lumpy grass.
Do not play on irregular, stony lots.
Do not play on uneven, barn flooring.
Do pack wooden shims of various thicknesses and widths and 1 or 2 sand bag weights.
Carrying around shims and sandbags kinda negates having lightweight flat based stands, no?. You’d be better off with Yamaha 600 tripods, then you can play on all those surfaces and not deal with the weight.

Yep, the DW is lighter, but it doesn’t extend down as far as the Gibraltar to become a true tripod base. And I’ve tested the DW - it is FAR less stable than the Gibraltar. It’s almost TOO light. I can’t speak for the TAMA or Pearl, although reviews I’ve seen have been mixed. If you want truly lightweight, I think the best option is the Yamaha Crosstown hardware. But if you don’t like the Yamaha for its look, the price or the issues with not being able to use a double pedal or the hi hat creeping away, you can do far worse than the Gibraltar.

The base of the Pearl 150 is reversible. Drumkey undoes the bottom joint, slide the legs off the tube, flip around then slide back on. Now its a normal tripod base with the short struts below the legs instead of above. But the legs are a bit shorter than regular tripods, so not quite as stable.

I have Sakae flatbase cymbalstands in the band-room and it works and works and works. For live-gigs, I have a bag with the even lighter Tama Classic Flatbase-Hardware. Super-Easy to carry and set up and absolutely solid hardware. I have used it for countless concerts and the hihat, cymbal stands and snarestand work extremely well.

That said, why do I still have a set of heavy Tama Roadpro-Hardware?...

+2 on the Ludwig flat based stuff. I have the DW and the Ludwig flat based stands and it’s not even close, the Ludwigs are easier to use, just as light, and the boom is much better.

Personally, I can’t stand the look of the Yamaha Crosstown stuff. Not my bag.

I've never owned any DW gear, but these have got me interested...

Back