Fixing Drum Wrap Scratches

Schraub

Hey i have some very small scratches on my drums and i used toothpaste on them and to my surprise it worked very well to get rid of the scratches or at least get them to be rarely noticeable. I only did this as a experiment but i would like to know what is the best product that you guys recommend that i could use in the future for scratch's on a red sparkle finish and a product for just keeping the drums looking good. Thanks.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
A product called Novus comes in 3 different grits for polishing out scratches,an good old fashioned carnuba car wax will polish and protect the wrap nicely.Its what lot of pro drum mechanics use.

They can be had at a lot of auto part stores.

Steve B

Schraub

I have heard of novus and i will probubly get that but as far as the car wax goes I have heard that it could lead to cracking on the finish.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Pure Carnuba wax does not dry anything out.Thats why its used on furniture,and car finishes.Car paint nowadays is plastic,and a lot of furniture finishes are polyurathane,or polyester based.
I have been using it on my vintage 76 Tama superstars which I bought new,as well as my 60's Ludwigs,and various other snare drums,like my 47 Slingerland Radio King.Nothing has dried out yet.

Steve B

Sugu

Re: Fixing Drum Wrap/Lacquered Scratches

Hey guys ... I'm from Malaysia and I'm new to this Forum...

I just got myself a brand new SONOR SFX 11 STAGE 1 drum set in gloss black. It's about a week old but i recently noticed some minor swirls/light surface scratches mainly on the Toms and Kick Drum. I've attached some photos here of my Kit, and also the scratches (squared in red).

I intend to remove them out with Turtle Wax Carnauba Express Shine but i am tad bit worried about using anything on the shells at the moment.

Would appreciate some advice from you guys before i start on anything.

Thank you so much for your time!

Cheers!

Sugu.

Sonor SFX 11 Stage 1
Roland TD-3KW.

Attachments

Lennytoons

Re: Fixing Drum Wrap/Lacquered Scratches

Hey guys ... I'm from Malaysia and I'm new to this Forum...

I just got myself a brand new SONOR SFX 11 STAGE 1 drum set in gloss black. It's about a week old but i recently noticed some minor swirls/light surface scratches mainly on the Toms and Kick Drum. I've attached some photos here of my Kit, and also the scratches (squared in red).

I intend to remove them out with Turtle Wax Carnauba Express Shine but i am tad bit worried about using anything on the shells at the moment.

Would appreciate some advice from you guys before i start on anything.

Thank you so much for your time!

Cheers!

Sugu.

Sonor SFX 11 Stage 1
Roland TD-3KW.
I just used Novus, 1,2,3 on my Pearl Session Series Deep Ocean wrap and I was pretty disappointed. The best thing I've found is Dunlop guitar cleaner with Dunlop 65 guitar polish. That covered most of the lighter scratches and made the shells really shine. Whatever you use try it first on the bottom of the bass drum, That way if anything goes askew it's a small spot noboby will see.

KamaK

Platinum Member
On a black kit...

1: Black Sharpe color fill
2: Buff. Most of the time you don't even need compound.

Sugu

Hey Kamak & Lennytoons,

Firstly thank you so much for the replies...greatly appreciated

To update you guys, i used the Turtle Wax Carnauba Express Shine on my kit yesterday...and, it DID NOT remove any of the scratches ....neither did it make it less visible.. the kit however does look more glossy and shiny and yes, carnauba wax does make the shells smoother and glossy... anyway, the supplier of the turtle wax did inform me that waxing will not usually remove scratches...

I tried a little car polish (Soft 99) and i think i made it worse! ...

I'm now considering using a better compound/polish like something from Meguairs eg: Meguairs Ultimate Compound ... ive read on some Pearl Drummers Forum that many of them actually used Meguairs car polish/deep compound and then applied Meguiars carnauba wax....

Maybe i should try that?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Different wraps have different compositions and manufacturing types. Without knowing how a wrap is made, or what it's made from, any advice beyond "A towel" will possibly result in a trip to bumwrapdrumco.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I don't have wrapped shells at this point, but has anyone considered PlastX? A headlight polishing cream may work as well. I've used those two on a variety of "plastic" based finishes which wrapping is and it has worked flawlessly.