Fixed hats and clutches, etc.

Mastiff

This may be a dumb question, but I just ordered my first ever double bass pedal and I'm wondering how people manage the hi-hat situation? Listening to a little Rush, it sounds like he was always just on the ride when double bassing, but it was also mostly just fills.

The options I can think of are (a) just use ride when on the double bass, (b) get a hi-hat clutch, or (c) get a second set of hats that are fixed closed at the desired tension.

Regarding (b), how common are these? Are they challenging to use in real time? Regarding (c), what kind of hardware, aside from the cymbals themselves, do you order to make that happen?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I keep my hats about 1/8-3/16" open when at rest. This provides a nice sloshy effect when running my feet. It also still allows me to play the hats as normal if I want.

I used a drop clutch for a while years ago but didn't really like it. The function is just fine unless you miss the drop arm. Sometimes it also wouldn't re-engage if I didn't press the pedal all the way. I much prefer the slightly open setup better, and have been doing so for at least 20 years now.

You can also put your foot on both pedals and get the double bass/hats keeping time effect.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I play a single bass, but the practice kit I play has a drop clutch. I sort of like it b/c I always close my hats whenever I get up. It saves me at least 3/4 of a second whenever I get up from my seat. Sort of silly, but I do like it.

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
The options I can think of are (a) just use ride when on the double bass, (b) get a hi-hat clutch, or (c) get a second set of hats that are fixed closed at the desired tension.

Regarding (b), how common are these? Are they challenging to use in real time? Regarding (c), what kind of hardware, aside from the cymbals themselves, do you order to make that happen?
I have a Gibraltar closed hi-hat attachment (also known as an "x-hat"), and it works great! It comes with a mounting clamp that can be attached to a cymbal stand, and you can turn the metal wing nut on the bottom to adjust the tension. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9707XB--gibraltar-by-hat-with-gearless-brake-adjustment?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788276&rkg_id=0&product_id=9707XB&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Drums%20&%20Percussion&adgroup=Drums%20&%20Percussion%20-%20Drum%20Hardware&placement=google&adpos=1o2&creative=203982059425&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3dul3uLz4gIVE_5kCh2aHgZMEAQYAiABEgL59PD_BwE

alparrott

Platinum Member
This may be a dumb question, but I just ordered my first ever double bass pedal and I'm wondering how people manage the hi-hat situation? Listening to a little Rush, it sounds like he was always just on the ride when double bassing, but it was also mostly just fills.

There's a few more options. You mentioned Neil, and for the majority of his career he simply didn't try to play much double bass and hi-hat at the same time. But he did tap his foot back and forth between the two on occasion. He also had his hi-hat pedal at an angle away from his left bass drum pedal for some time in his earlier career, allowing him to turn his foot, close the hats with his left heel and still do a hit or two with his left bass drum during certain figures.

Also worth noting is the Tama Cobra Clutch, which is a little device that basically locks the hats into place with a foot movement. Its most notable user is probably Gavin Harrison, whose double bass chops we need not debate in the slightest.

DrkPhx

You definitely need a drop clutch. I have two hi hats (both with drop clutches); a Pearl remote hi hat on the left side and Mapex Falcon on the right side. Took some getting used, but I really like it and I can play double bass with an open or closed hat.