First use of a click

Bobrush

As mentioned, that was indeed a clave. But, that brought to mind a song I hadn't considered before... "Blackbird" by the Beatles (1968) has a metronome clicking away through the whole song! Hard to know if drums were ever intended, or if McCartney simply wanted the 'nome be the beat or sound like a foot tapping. It doesn't sound like it was first recorded on a separate track to just act as timekeeper (as it slightly bleeds through the guitar feed on the opposite channel, indicating that it and Paul were all recorded at once) but if it was done separately, it managed to leak through the phones. In any case, it's part of the song as we know and love it, and therefore pre-dates the others I had mentioned.

So, the current favorite would be Blackbird. :)

Bermuda
Not according to Wikipedia, which quotes from Geoffrey Emerick, the engineer on the track:

The tapping "has been incorrectly identified as a metronome in the past", according to engineer Geoff Emerick, who says it is actually the sound of Paul tapping his foot, which Emerick recalls as being mic'd up separately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird_(song)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Thanks Bermuda! This gives me some great leads to delve a little deeper down the rabbit hole. And yes I am sure Keith was uber excited to be playing to a machine ... the conservative pragmatic man he was lol!
I just always think it's funny the guy who's not known for his time keeping was the first guy to play to a sequencer on stage, that he did it well, and he did it not-quite 30 years before playing to backing tracks on stage became common.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Not according to Wikipedia, which quotes from Geoffrey Emerick, the engineer on the track:

The tapping "has been incorrectly identified as a metronome in the past", according to engineer Geoff Emerick, who says it is actually the sound of Paul tapping his foot, which Emerick recalls as being mic'd up separately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird_(song)
If that's true, then Paul has a pretty amazing foot! It's able to alternate high and low taps throughout the song, staying straight even through odd time changes!

But if Wikipedia is to be believed, I'll defer to Geoff. :)

Bermuda

FYI, in his book, Geoff doesn't mention the click at all.

pmancuso

If that's true, then Paul has a pretty amazing foot! It's able to alternate high and low taps throughout the song, staying straight even through odd time changes!

But if Wikipedia is to be believed, I'll defer to Geoff. :)

Bermuda

FYI, in his book, Geoff doesn't mention the click at all.
The high low may be attributed to heel-toe.