First time with a double pedal

WallyY

Platinum Member
It's been almost a half century of playing drums with a single pedal.

I've maybe played a double pedal for less than one minute in my whole life.

This is a big deal for me! Guilt.
I sort of feel like I cheated on my drumset!
Or that I'm about to!

It just arrived from Alto Music. They said it was used in mint condition. It looks new in box.

Time for the long slog of learning how to play it!

I'm pretty excited.

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Awesome, welcome to the two foot club!

A piece of advice, make sure your slave pedal sits on the floor mirrored to the main. What I mean is your left and right feet should be equidistant from your center. If you sit down, your right and left foot should form an isosceles triangle with your center, and your forward looking position bisecting the triangle.

Don't just try to shove it into your setup without doing this. It will play hell on your weak foot and your body as well.

WallyY

Platinum Member
That's good advice!
I think I need more time with setup.
I'm thinking this might have been a bad idea.

It seems I have to collapse my snare stand until it's nearly teetering before I can get the pedals close enough fo the hihat to not be a big manspread away from me.

More work indeed! and I'll try a couple of different hihat stands and snare stands to see if I can get it comfortable.

So far it feels like a big mess!

The pedals play nice though!

I've always been able to move my hihat a little bit here and there for comfort, but now it seems it needs to be planted in it's own area. It's a bit stifling.

beatdat

That's good advice!
I think I need more time with setup.
I'm thinking this might have been a bad idea.

It seems I have to collapse my snare stand until it's nearly teetering before I can get the pedals close enough fo the hihat to not be a big manspread away from me.

More work indeed! and I'll try a couple of different hihat stands and snare stands to see if I can get it comfortable.

So far it feels like a big mess!

The pedals play nice though!

I've always been able to move my hihat a little bit here and there for comfort, but now it seems it needs to be planted in it's own area. It's a bit stifling.
The comparable Tama hi-hat stand can tilt, which helps placing the hi-hats in a closer position for playing, but doesn't really help with the pedal placement.

But, if you extend the connecting rod as much as possible, maybe you can place the slave pedal on the outside of the hi-hat? I've heard of some people doing that, but don't know if you need a particular hi-hat stand (e.g. two-legged).

WallyY

Platinum Member
The comparable Tama hi-hat stand can tilt, which helps placing the hi-hats in a closer position for playing, but doesn't really help with the pedal placement.

But, if you extend the connecting rod as much as possible, maybe you can place the slave pedal on the outside of the hi-hat? I've heard of some people doing that, but don't know if you need a particular hi-hat stand (e.g. two-legged).
Cool!
I'll check out that stand again. The last time I looked at one, it was in Guitar Center and the stand was bent, so I didn't get to see if it had a good feel.

Looking at Gavin Harrison's setup, I can see it's my hihat that is causing the problems. I have the same snare stand and pedal he has, and his hat and snare are close enough.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Or that I'm about to!

It just arrived from Alto Music. They said it was used in mint condition. It looks new in box.

I'm pretty excited.
Did they just drop the box like that in front of your house? That's funny.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Did they just drop the box like that in front of your house? That's funny.
Yep, Label slapped on the side,
but that's the back door.

The delivery guys usually bring stuff around back because I add "Please deliver to back door" in the address line. Sometimes it's ignored.

wildbill

Platinum Member

Or that I'm about to!

I'm pretty excited.

I did the same thing, and felt the same way about it.
I did it just for the challenge of learning something new.
I spent an hour or two most days of the week for about two years before I felt I was where I wanted to be with it.

Now I'm back to a single pedal - LOL

But.........

exploring all the different techniques, did make me better with using just my right foot on a single pedal,
as well as having better control of my left foot, and a having a new skill should I ever need to use it.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
I added a double pedal for the first time about five years ago. After 30+ years of playing and never really caring about owning one, I decided it would be fun.

When I started taking lessons, my teacher was big into double bass drums. I was trying to learn to play jazz and Afro-Cuban rhythms from him, so I had no use for it at the time. But he would somehow always find a way to sneak in a few minutes of double bass exercises anyway, and I acquired a few basics.

I'm glad my teacher made me work on those things. I have a lot of fun with that thing, even though I use it in practice sessions way more than on actual gigs. Enjoy!

WallyY

Platinum Member
You guys who started late are giving me inspiration!

I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it and I can add the left foot into my normal complexities and it's sounding more cohesive.

I had a sense of post purchase depression, something I rarely ever feel when I get a new piece of drum kit.

At first I felt like a fraud, but I think I just need to squelch my bias' and get on with it.

I notice my hihat is suffering if I put attention to the left pedal.
Setting the hihat legs so the pedal fits well puts the left leg too close to my left foot for my usual jaunty splash feel.
I think I might need a two legged hihat to take advantage of space.

I'm catching myself going back to the hihat and finding the hats open.
I need to retrain my brain to stay on the hats and get off the pedal and back to the hats right after I use the pedal.

These are things I didn't consider before I made the jump.

I think I can pick this up quickly.
Heel-toe will be a slog. Mr. Lefty needs some forced compliance!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
After a bit you will find yourself splitting your left foot between the hats and the slave pedal. Heel on the hats, toes on the slave. Or splitting the difference and operating both at the same time. I really don't think the double pedal (or extra kick) gets the respect it deserves. It's so much more than just running singles. Glad you are enjoying it.

hippy chip

Silver Member
A 2-leg hi-hat is definitely good to have if you plan to use double pedals---I have 2 of these PDP HH-820 stands, and they are excellent!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I set up the kick and pedals and work around it.

2 leg highhat can get right beside it, my 3 leg i'll slide the slave inside the legs, or it has to go far left.

the snare isn't really an issue. sometimes i spread my double pedal out an extra inch on the connecting rod for more space but i usually tuck one snare leg under the rod. or spin it a bit..

there can be a slight angle on the rod,, they are built for that. just keep it symmetrical on both sides to prevent lag.

You could always post a picture or video and we can try and help you.

You will have some serious fun when it comes to fills using a double pedal.

double pedal work really helps my independence on the hats, Keeping time and doing independence stuff on the hats helps my double pedal work so it's all good.

You COULD also invest in a hihat clutch, or a set of Xhats for a closed set if you want to do some double stuff and not have an open hihat....

I wish I had 3 feet.