First time studio experience recording drums

poika

Silver Member
A few weeks ago I was asked to play drums for one cut for an upcoming record for a friend of mine. I have played other instruments and sang but I had never played drums on a recording session before and I really didn't know what to expect, so I was kind of nervous. The band plays a mixture of folk/jazz/whatever but they needed a really hard, rocking sound for this song, and that's just the stuff I enjoy playing so they asked if I'd like to do the song - So yeah, it was a no-brainer!
I was also asked to bring my Vistalites, which was cool.

The start of the day was not the best. About five hours of sleep, I drive to the rehearsal space to pick up my drums to find out the electric door is broken. So I have to haul the stuff all the way through to the other side of the building to get it out. Then I try to buy a coke from a coke machine - and I get the wrong beveridge. Next thing, I get lost while driving to the studio. And while there, when I start setting up my drums, the first thing I start to tighten - the bass drum spur - the screw thread breaks up on me!
At this point I just leaned back, took a deep breath and re-assembled myself. Fixed the bass drum in place by folding up my jeans underneath it. It was sturdy, I was happy, and from there on things started rolling nicely.

We recorded the whole band simultaneously (drums, bass, two guitars) and it surprised me how different it was playing when you have headphones on and you hear yourself (and everyone else) through the headphones. It's certainly different, and it's something that I hadn't really ever thought of, I'm so used to playing without micing.

We got the song done and everyone was pleased, and I had a great time. I'm anxious to hear the final mix, once the album gets done, to see how the drums and me are going to sound. I'm going to post a link for anyone interested in my playing or in how the Vistalites sound once the album comes out.

Anyway, it was a huge relief to get it over with, succesfully. Now I'm really waiting to get to go in with my own band and lay it down.

Anyone want to chime in on how their first recording experience went?

poika

Silver Member
Haha, yeah, I have to have comfy clothes on while playing so I make sure to bring some with me. A pair of shorts and a worn pair of Rod Lavers will do.

Thanks for the compliment!

coolhand1969

Wow, they asked you to bring Vistalites to the studio, something many have said could not be done, hope it went well. My first studio gig was in Nashville. I got a call from a sound tech who had worked with my band live. Seems the drummer and this is a cliche, was completely hammered. I was just told to bring what I needed and I was going to do one song. I took my sticks and kick pedal (which I am particular about). I listened to what they had and did 3 takes, the first was bluesy, the second poppish, the third harder. I left out almost all fills. Everyone listened and liked the blues take, I did it 2 more times with the fills and this was it. I was out by sunrise. It must have gone well enough as I continued to get calls (Not enough to make a living), almost always after 12:00am. I enjoy the studio, not as much as playing live, but it is fun in its own way.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Can't believe that machine gave you the wrong beverage! That would've screwed up my entire DAY ;)

Glad it went well!

poika

Silver Member
Wow, they asked you to bring Vistalites to the studio, something many have said could not be done, hope it went well.
They sounded good in my ears in the control room, but I'll be waiting with interest to hear the final mix. With Vintage Emperors, the sound is surprisingly warm - it just takes some power for them to open up but that's the way I like playing so it's all good.

Can't believe that machine gave you the wrong beverage! That would've screwed up my entire DAY ;)
Sometimes, when all you need is a Coke - a Fanta just won't do!