First time in EIGHT years.. I have drums set up at my place.

Road Bull

Silver Member
So I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and purchased my first home. One of the main factors that finally made me want to do it besides the economics of the thing, was to have a place where I could play my drums again. I have been living in an apartment for the last eight years and the only time I could play my drums is at band practice, or at a show.

I just set up part of my old Tama Granstar nine piece kit last night. I only play about four or five pieces these days. It was a kit that my Dad co-signed a loan in order to get when I was a freshman in high school. It let me buy a kit that was way nicer that what I could afford at the time and pay it off monthly. I worked hard, payed it off, and learned about managing money. So it was fitting that This should be the first kit set up in my new home.

I already introduced myself to my closest neighbor. He was pretty cool. He asked if loud motorcycle noise bothered me. I grinned and said not at all. I asked what he had. He said Harley Davidsons, what else is there? I told him that I play drums. And he said cool, and that he didn't mind at all. There is something to be said about starting out on the right foot.

So I just got done playing and I don't see any red and blues outside. Man it feels good to be able to do that.

Attachments

• TamaDrumRoom.jpg
    TamaDrumRoom.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 376
  • TDR2.jpg
    TDR2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 307
  • TDR3.jpg
    TDR3.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 313
Congrats El Toro, on the house, the drums and the decent neighbor.

Congrats on owning the home! And having drums to play is an added bonus! My neighbors don't seem to mind if I play, but I wish they were a little louder too! A motorcycle neighbor seems like a good thing to have ;)

Congrats on the house. I guess I'm spoiled. I've always had drums at my house. You'll enjoy that a lot. I like your kit. I've alway thought Granstars were great drums. I think they are the equivalent of the performers today. Which I think are Tama's best sounding kit.

Congrats on the house. I guess I'm spoiled. I've always had drums at my house. You'll enjoy that a lot. I like your kit. I've alway thought Granstars were great drums. I think they are the equivalent of the performers today. Which I think are Tama's best sounding kit.

Thanks guys!

I am lucky enough to have a few drum sets. This lets me keep my main kit, my Ludwig Classic Maple, over at my guitarist's house. The Granstars will always have a place in my heart. I also have the Artstar Custom Maples sitting in bags upstairs. What I didn't have, was a lot of extra hardware. I picked up a brand new DW 5000 Hi-Hat and a new Roc-N-Soc spindle throne. My next 50 meter target is picking up a new DW 5002 pedal. But for now, I am using a 1991 era, HP45,(?) single kick pedal that still works like a charm.

However, I am trying to slow my spending down. It seems that nothing happens in a house for under a few hundred dollars. I had to make the decision to buy a lawn mower today. Besides wishing it was a drum gear purchase, it felt pretty good to be outside mowing my lawn. It was about to get into stall length and it was probably my last narrow window of time that the weather would hold before I would have to start combing it instead of mowing it..

Congrats on the house Bull! its good that the neighbors are cool with you playing.

Granstar is looking good. Dw5002 are really good, you going AD4 or TD4?

Congrats on the house Bull! its good that the neighbors are cool with you playing.

Granstar is looking good. Dw5002 are really good, you going AD4 or TD4?

I think I am leaning towards The TD4 over the AD4. I used to have the older single chain with base plate version of the Accelerators. I have DW 9002s on my Ludwig kit, but the more I play with the 5000 series at stores, the more I prefer them to the 9000s. I think I have my 9002 set up in the "Turbo" cam position. I can never seem to find both in the same store to play around with. I did find a set of both types at our local Don Benntte Drum Studio, but I didn't get to get too dialed in. I imagine I can agonize over this purchase for a little while.

Do you use the 5000s? If so what do you like?

Congratulations on your house and neighbors who are cool with your drums.

Wishing you many years of joy.

The drums are such a frustrating instrument. Very hard just being able to find a place to practice, very hard to carry, expensive

Just a beautiful post, i am currently saving to buy my first home purely for that reason, playing my electronic kit at home is nice but nothing beats playing a real kit and i am dying to be able to set up my kits and play.

thanks for putting it in words wonderfully the joy you feel

Congratulations man. There's nothing like the freedom of playing your own kit in your own house. Here's to a happy life.

I used to take my drums out to the beach and play... in the winter. Ye old Squeak King required constant douches with WD-40 as did the hi-hat stand. But it was fun and it was kind of natural. I used to set my congas up out there too, much easier. Now I have a garage and the reality is I can only play between 8am and 10pm. Which is cool but I am restricted by whatever law they call that.

Nice!

One day I will hope to live somewhere where I can actually set up my kits. Unfortunately I live in a small flat and can't set anything up here beyond my guitars. It's a buzzkill that I can't play the drums at the moment! Especially when you realise the landlord doesn't care and have to clear outside drains with your bare hands... *ahem* (sorry).

Congratulations mate. It's so good to have an understanding neighbour too, that makes all the difference in the World.

Thanks guys.

My last living situation where I could set them up where I lived was when I lived with two other drummers. The company that managed the little house that was surrounded by large apartments started constant rate hikes till it became impossible to live there. We all scrambled to find places to live. I found what I thought would be a temporary apartment. It was run down, kind of small, but it had parking,(which is a big deal here), and was located right in the middle of everything.

Little did I know that I would be there without being able to set my kit up for that long. At one point I wondered how much of a drummer really was. They just started to seem like something I owned.

What picked me up out of the doldrums was when I decided to start looking for people to play music with. I would find some guys, rent a reversal space by the hour. I did that for a bit before I found the band that I am in now. So I have been able to play consistently at practices for almost two years.

This just made me want a situation where I could do what I love again. But as everyone knows, buying a home is not easy, and a bit more difficult being a single person. I was fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of a VA loan due to my prior service.

So on my way to bed, and then in my way to work, I slow down as I pass by my drum room when my kit catches my eye and I smile.

Being able to play your acoustic drums is one of the many things that make the hassle of owning a house worth it.

Enjoy it - quick - before something breaks down - LOL

I think I am leaning towards The TD4 over the AD4. I used to have the older single chain with base plate version of the Accelerators. I have DW 9002s on my Ludwig kit, but the more I play with the 5000 series at stores, the more I prefer them to the 9000s. I think I have my 9002 set up in the "Turbo" cam position. I can never seem to find both in the same store to play around with. I did find a set of both types at our local Don Benntte Drum Studio, but I didn't get to get too dialed in. I imagine I can agonize over this purchase for a little while.

Do you use the 5000s? If so what do you like?

Yes i use a dw5000 TD4. What i like about it is that its smooth and stable. I like the moving arm where the tension screw hooks up to. It moves in conjunction with the spring and shaft. The 2 moving pivots that hold the bassdrum with the clam are a cool feature too

i also owned for a short time, the double dw5000. They were also smooth like the single. Same moving arms. Stable.

I like the weight on them too!

bdc15891-e973-47c6-94e1-9ff80100a71a_652x600.jpg

Back