First Time In 30 Years

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Here it is lads. My first Remo head in 30 years. First time I heard a head snap, crackle , and pop in 30 years. Tuned right up, and sounds fine. Now we will test the durability. Not against the UV2 tom heads I just bought, but against my knowledge to the time frame of the Evans snare batter heads. I notice one other thing, The Remo is not as white as the Evans head.

Attachments

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I’m using Evans on my modern kit and Remo on my 60’s kit. The Remo coating is lasting really well, much better than a few years ago.

They definitely have a different feel, one feels softer, like the stick sinks in a bit deeper.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I still really like Remo heads. I know Bermuda and others have had trouble with the two ply heads, but I've been lucky, I guess. Part of that is, I use predominantly single ply heads anyway.

As for the coating, I never had a problem with Remo's coating. I'm the actual rare bird that has seen more chipping and wear on Evans and Aquarian heads. But then, I'm also that rare bird that doesn't give a crap about how the coating looks, anyway. Sound is what matters.

Anyway, hope you enjoy that Emperor, Grunt!

cdrums21

Gold Member
I too am a Remo guy. Evans makes great heads and I have used some on occasion, but I prefer Remo. I have used them for so long that I am intimate with the way they sound and feel. I had trouble with the coating for a while and in the process of trying to address it with Remo, I have become friends with their sales manager Brian, and have offered information and sent used heads that had premature coating loss to him in an effort to try and fix the problem. To my knowledge, they have been working diligently to correct the coating issue and it seems that they have curtailed it for the most part. I find that the coating seems to stick better to the opaque mylar as opposed to the clear, but the heads I have gotten over the last year or so have been noticeably better. Nice brown patina rather than a bald spot after 15 minutes.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Here it is lads. My first Remo head in 30 years.
If anyone here in Upstate NY wants to try out Emperors and has a 13/14/16 config, ping me. I strongly disliked how they presented on my kit, and have two complete barely used sets (in boxes) I'd be willing to part with for a beer and a good story.

RickP

Gold Member
I am back to using Remo after ten or so years of being an Aquarian user . I still like Aquarian heads , but there is not a great selection near me die to no current distributor in Canada .

I am very pleased with Remo heads as they have a certain feel to play and they seem to have the costing issues they had in the past ( Pie logo days ) begins them . I use coated over clear Ambassadors on rack Toms and Coated Emperors over clear Ambassadors on floor Toms . I like the coated PS3 or Fiberskyn PS3 FD for the bass batter

I really dislike the majority of Evans heads ( the exception being the G12 White coated and Power Center reverse dot ). They sound very harsh and plasticy to my ear .

johnwesley

Silver Member
I have used nothing but Remo since I started drumming (on an actual drumset) in 1964. I've tried others but Remo rules as far as I'm concerned. Coated ambassadors are my "go to" heads. They sound great, last a long time, and are resistant to Corona virus. Shhh. Don't pass that info along or you'll find them out of stock quicker than hand sanitizer.

Remo coating is fine now, I've been using their stuff again for the last 2 years after using Evans for the 10 or so years before that. I've been happy with them so far.

opentune

Platinum Member
I really dislike the majority of Evans heads ( the exception being the G12 White coated and Power Center reverse dot ). They sound very harsh and plasticy to my ear .
My experience as well. The only Evans heads I have now are from buying used drums off somebody who had them on.
To my ears the Remo head is far more 'musical' and less 'muted' . Those youtube videos comparing 200 heads on a snare really show the vitality of a remo head compared to others of the same type, thickness.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have used nothing but Remo since I started drumming (on an actual drumset) in 1964. I've tried others but Remo rules as far as I'm concerned. Coated ambassadors are my "go to" heads. They sound great, last a long time, and are resistant to Corona virus. Shhh. Don't pass that info along or you'll find them out of stock quicker than hand sanitizer.
pretty much me too...except for since '76. I have tried random heads over the years...Evans for a while, Aquarian once...and they immediately came off. I just know how to manipulate a Remo, and I know what, and how it will interact. At my school, we only use Remos as well, so I have experience with all of their stuff. And I also have tried other heads in the past (been there for 30 years), but always fall back to Remos.