First photos - In-Tense series black walnut stave

Guru Drums

First photos - In-Tense series black walnut stave kit

As always, here first. Got back from a trip early this afternoon, & just had to finish off this beauty & take some snapshots for you :) Not good light, but you get the idea.

24" x 14" x 8mm thick - 18" x 14" x 7mm thick - 14" x 9" x 6mm thick. Old school sizes, anything but old school sound. American black walnut for huge lows but with bite too. Generous graduated half roundover edges for focus & big shell involvement. This is a no holes barred explosive rock kit, but change the batter heads to coated single ply, tune it up, & it's equally at home as an ultimate big band kit. English ash segmented bass drum hoops, & the very special In-Tense aluminium shell hardware complete the picture. A surprisingly lightweight kit too :)

Of course, a full range of sizes will be available in this format, but there's something a bit special about this set :)

Attachments

• walnut01.jpg
    walnut01.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 554
  • walnut02.jpg
    walnut02.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 488
  • walnut03.jpg
    walnut03.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 479
  • walnut04.jpg
    walnut04.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 482
  • walnut05.jpg
    walnut05.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 484
  • walnutft.jpg
    walnutft.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 477
  • walnutoh.jpg
    walnutoh.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Oh my gosh !

Yes, that is what I want for Christmas !

I would really love to play this kit with the screaming loud guitars and keyboard in my band.

They don't look like loud rock and roll drums, but I bet they would sound amazing in the band.

*drooooooooooooooooooooooooool*...

Oh my gosh !

They don't look like loud rock and roll drums,
You're right, they don't look like loud drums, but that's the shocker - they're simply ridiculous! Difficult to judge size in a photo. They're big drums in the flesh, but somehow don't look big as soon as you step back. Sit down to play them however, & there's no mistaking their size :)

*drooooooooooooooooooooooooool*...
Indeed Al :)

What a gorgeous kit Andy. What's the deal with the snare, is it a stave with outer rings?

Aesthetically the segmented wood BD hoops blend well in any Shire type setting IMO, less out of place than steel in the wild.

Andy, I respectfully disagree.

Those DO look huge, even from the pictures.

Damn, I love your work.

What a gorgeous kit Andy. What's the deal with the snare, is it a stave with outer rings?
Thanks Larry :) The snare is a standard In-Tense segmented model - 14" x 5.75" English ash & ovangkol :)

Wow, those are gorgeous. I've never seen a full kit that was done as a stave/segment.

Awesome!
Cheers - of course, we're not the only ones to offer full stave kits, but non out there are like these. Very light drums with huge tone :)

less out of place than steel in the wild.
LOL! We use these hoops on our Origin & In-Tense kits for sonic reasons as well as blending in with flora & fauna typically found on most concert stages ;) ;) ;)

Steel or plain single flange ply hoops would offer a $400 saving, but don't hold tuning form nearly as well, & add weight through the use of claws.

stunning

As always amazing work
Thank you :)

Andy, I respectfully disagree.

Those DO look huge, even from the pictures.

Damn, I love your work.
I'm glad the sizes are coming across in the photo's. We found the depths used here work perfectly with the superlight forms. In a more standard construction, you'd be looking for deeper sizes to emulate the lower overtones available from this set, but then you wouldn't get the defined articulation & clear fundamental on offer here. It's an interesting combination. Old school foundation but with a massive tone injection :)

Looks awesome Andy. Didn't realize how big it was until I read the fine print.

You could add a 10", turn the 18 into a kick with that trick conversion kit and you'd have a little bop kit for jazz gigs.

Great googly-moogly! That's it! That is exactly what I am talking about! Absolutely mind-blowing. I wanna hear 'em!

Great googly-moogly! That's it! That is exactly what I am talking about! Absolutely mind-blowing. I wanna hear 'em!
I strongly advise not hearing them. Seriously bad for you in so many ways. The depth of tone is just off the scale.

Of course, you will hear them though. This is one of the new kits we're shooting in another series of honest capture videos starting July 1st. I'm not sure you can get headphones that will hold up to the onslaught though! ;) ;) ;)

Looks awesome Andy. Didn't realize how big it was until I read the fine print.

You could add a 10", turn the 18 into a kick with that trick conversion kit and you'd have a little bop kit for jazz gigs.
That would indeed be a really good flexible setup. Best of both worlds, & with only 4 drums in total :)

They look awesome! Not a big fan of the look of the bass drum hoops but they do look beautifully made, just prefer a more traditional look. I admit though, they do make Guru drums stand out from the rest.

Mark

They look awesome! Not a big fan of the look of the bass drum hoops but they do look beautifully made, just prefer a more traditional look. I admit though, they do make Guru drums stand out from the rest.

Mark
Thanks Mark :) The bass drum hoops are certainly a signature of ours. They cost a fortune to make, so we didn't take that decision on aesthetics alone, they actively contribute to the drum sound & function. On this particular model, we decided to go for a contrasting colour in the reverse of our usual direction (lighter shell, darker hoops). The choice of wood species dictated that really, & the wood species was very much dictated by the sound requirements & physical properties.

without reading all the posts why don't the toms have wood hoops as well? What is with you and those cheapo cymbals too, get some damn Paistes already!!!! Nice finish on the wood, do you ever do a high gloss finish or mostly the natural satin style like this kit?

I have a complaint...I am not happy at all...

Putting these pictures up, is like sitting me with my wife and then putting Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch in front of me stark naked ready to pounce! Its the biggest tease going...I am disgusted!

:)

Back