First Mapex - what do I have?

opentune

Platinum Member
I got this for $30 the other day. Guy wanted to give it away but I insisted on offering something.
I've never owned a Mapex, nor followed them much, but this will work for a band's jamspace.
12-14-22... China made on badge.....seems to be basswood not luan?
He said its about 15 yrs old. Any insight to the model? I cannot locate in catalogues.Thanks.

mapex05.JPG

wildbill

Platinum Member
Take a look at the bottom right corner of the badge and see if there's a letter (or letters) there.
Something like "V", "M", "Pro M", etc. They had a lot of silver badges with that shape for different lines.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I played a set of those drums for two years at my friends house for rehearsals. The bass drum and the floor tom sounded wonderful. Deep full tone. Not loud but they had a beautiful tone. It was probably due to the basswood or luan. They had the original cheapie drum heads. The rack tom was OK. Use them for rehearsal and recording and you will love them. The snare drum was not so good. I could not get a good pop/crack out of it.

Funny thing was I kept trying to get my Yamaha Stage Custom birch floor tom to sound like that Mapex floor tom and I could never do it.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think the funky wraps were all a feature of the QR series. I don't recall a lot of publicity on them, but there seem to be a lot of similar kits out there. I'd guess these were from the early 2000s, so "about 15 years old" seems about right.

opentune

Platinum Member
Thank you. Jim they do have a nice deep tone, but some pretty ratty hardware. No letters on corner of badge, only serial numbers.
I will look up the QR series.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I found on another site that those are QR, and they came in blue/green and red/orange swirl among other finishes.
Several people said they were available in the '90's.

Hey - for 30 bucks they'll more than serve the purpose.