First Kit

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
Feel rather lucky to have found this so close to home, Cornwall is a long drive from anywhere!
Had my heart set on an 18" Pearl, but this 20" Stage Custom stopped me in my tracks - the way the matt wood sets off all that lovely metalwork but with a vintage feel that I hope will suit the country-rock n roll band I'm practising with for our first gig (If anyone ever gets to gig anywhere ever again, that is.)
Swapped the shouty YAMAHA front head for a plain coated Remo for the same reason.
Need a suitable crash and hats that don't wash like dustbin lids tho.
What's it sound like?
No idea! Just got bags to transport it to rehearsal (the only place I can play an acoustic kit) and our singer's gone into Corona V isolation. Lordy. 20200319_203728.jpg

There's tons of love here, already, for the Yamaha SC's ..... Nice kit !!!

There's tons of love here, already, for the Yamaha SC's ..... Nice kit !!!
Thanks Harry :)
The top drummer in my area said he'd go for one if he had to buy a new kit.
It's got to be 20 yrs old, few little knocks on the wood but the chrome is spot on. Good buy for £240?
Found a very interesting white pearl Premier kit with stunning spearhead shaped lugs on ebay for £170 while I was searching. But the pillock wouldnt answer my message about bass drum size. He then offered it for £130 but again wouldn't communicate. Had 8 watchers but never sold!

Thanks Harry :)
Good buy for £240?
You scored. Yes. Good buy. I really like Yamaha. Most all my hardware is Yamaha. I've had 3 Recording Custom kits over the years. Currently have a 9000 series (Pre-Recording Custom) kit in 18x14, 12x8, 16x16. And a Manu Katche Jr. kit ..... 16x16, 10x7, 13x12. Never owned a SC kit, but played enough of them to know them well. Good job. And welcome to Drummerworkd.

You scored. Yes. Good buy. I really like Yamaha. Most all my hardware is Yamaha. I've had 3 Recording Custom kits over the years. Currently have a 9000 series (Pre-Recording Custom) kit in 18x14, 12x8, 16x16. And a Manu Katche Jr. kit ..... 16x16, 10x7, 13x12. Never owned a SC kit, but played enough of them to know them well. Good job. And welcome to Drummerworkd.
Thank you sir, you're a gent! Encouragement much appreciated ?

Oh, speaking of hardware - how do you transport those hefty tom mounts? They're like a WW2 Sten gun, no matter which way you lay em there's always something sticking out at an awkward angle ...

..... how do you transport those hefty tom mounts? They're like a WW2 Sten gun, no matter which way you lay em there's always something sticking out at an awkward angle ...
They are, yes. I'm pretty barbaric with my stands. They lay wherever they fit, in the vehicle. I used to carry all my hardware in a special lined sailcloth bag ..... but that weighed a ton and I was a younger man. Now, if I have to make a couple trips, I make a couple trips. And I have a roller cart for distances.

Mostly I'm a 1 up, two down guy ...... so the tom tree isn't such a big deal. My Nord, however ..... I carry 4 tom mounts. I just fold 'em up and toss 'em anywhere safe.

Attachments

• yamaha tom mounts.jpg
    yamaha tom mounts.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 11
They are, yes. I'm pretty barbaric with my stands. They lay wherever they fit, in the vehicle. I used to carry all my hardware in a special lined sailcloth bag ..... but that weighed a ton and I was a younger man. Now, if I have to make a couple trips, I make a couple trips. And I have a roller cart for distances.

Mostly I'm a 1 up, two down guy ...... so the tom tree isn't such a big deal. My Nord, however ..... I carry 4 tom mounts. I just fold 'em up and toss 'em anywhere safe.
Barbaric it is then! ??

Nice colour! What's it called?

And what are the tom sizes?

thats a great score! and yep, cornwall is *ALMOST* the arse-end of nowhere, my hometown takes that crown for me atm xD.

and that premier kit sounds like a late 60s-late 70s kit, probably either a 20" or 22"
Posted some pics here:

thats a great score! and yep, cornwall is *ALMOST* the arse-end of nowhere, my hometown takes that crown for me atm xD.

and that premier kit sounds like a late 60s-late 70s kit, probably either a 20" or 22"
Cumbria, my Lord, Cumbria ...
We might be a long way from the nearest Metrolopis, but imagine the Cumbrian mountains combined with the Cornish coast in one imaginary county eh? Eat your heart out Narnia!

Cumbria, my Lord, Cumbria ...
We might be a long way from the nearest Metrolopis, but imagine the Cumbrian mountains combined with the Cornish coast in one imaginary county eh? Eat your heart out Narnia!
haha aye!! would be gorgeous! <3

Ohhh
Thanks!
Well I call it 'my darling'. :love:
It's a Stage Custom, pre 2002 I think.
You'll realise I'm new to the acoustic kit when I admit I haven't measured the toms! ?
Will do tonight.
Ohhh, you mean what's the 'colour' called! Sorry. I have no idea and not sure how to find out.

+1 to the “good buy” assessments from Gretsched and Harry. Nice find.

After the original “Stage” series, these are what are considered 1st generation “Stage Custom” series made between 1995 - 2001. 6000 series with single hi-tension lugs and 7-mm/8-ply shells:

— 1-ply outer Birch,
— 6-ply middle Luan/Meranti (aka Philippine Mahogany),
— 1-ply inner Falkata.

I can’t make out model numbers from the badges in the photo, but the finish appears to be what Yamaha called “Chestnut Stain”. Years ago I rescued a matching snare from a dumpster in the same finish.

If you look at the badges on each drum, there will be stamps of characters imprinted on the lower left and lower right of each. The group of characters on the LEFT are the MODEL number and the ones on the RIGHT are the SERIAL number.

For each MODEL number, put a hyphen (-) between the leading letters and trailing numbers and enter them into Yamaha’s Drum Vault to determine their sizes and other details:

Presuming one of the rack toms is a 12-in diameter, it’s model number should be STT-612 which would have a size of 12” x 10”.

For each SERIAL number, the 3-letter prefix before each set of numbers is a date code that identifies the year and month each drum was manufactured. Yamaha’s FAQ article on date codes is currently missing so use the process I identified in the following post to determine the build dates:

Back