First kit for a keen teeanger - christmas etc

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Thanks! I hadn't even realised Gumtree was in the UK (for some reason I assumed it was like Craigslist and US only). Still nervy about buying something I don't even pretend to understand properly, but would be good to be able to have some metal to hit when santa arrives etc.
Here is a small cymbal breakdown from "best" to "worst":

B20 bronze: Zildjian K and A, Sabian AA and HH
B8 bronze: Zildjian ZBT, Sabian B8 and B8 Pro
Nickel Silver: Zildjian Planet Z
Brass: Stay away from brass!

There are plenty of other manufacturers besides what is listed that make quality cymbals. The key words you need to look for are B20 or B8. Do some homework, there is waaaay too much to list and explain here.

Things to look for when buying used:

Keyholes: when the cymbal mounting hole is worn in one particular spot. It looks like a small hole on the edge of the mounting holes.

Fleabites: a small nick on the edge of the cymbal. It may be nothing, it may turn into a crack

Cracks: self explanatory, these are broken and can't really be fixed. They won't sound good.

Keyholes and fleabites don't necessarily affect the sound of the cymbal, but they do devalue it some and make a good negotiating point.

So did you buy the set? Don't worry about the minutiae of cymbal sounds, these cymbals are all at least decent and the AAX alone is worth the price, so you can sell individual cymbals and upgrade next Christmas for (more or less) free.

larkim

No, didn't get round to getting those (sorry!), and now it's ended that option is out of the window. I'm still nervy about second hand, moreso after MrInsane's comments above which mean I'd have to spend more time than I'd like actually physically visiting / inspecting 2nd hand equipment. But I've got time on my side relatively. Part of me is tempted to get a really, really new cheap set of three for about £60 so that the set is fully playable over Christmas, but expect to 2nd hand those (boxed, hardly used) for about £40 early in the New Year when the "right set" comes along. But there's no rush to do that.

There's always the possibility that Black Friday will bring along some acceptable new deals too. I'm still impressed at the £339 paid for the Natal set plus hardware; if they are better than Roadshows then that's a complete steal I think.

I wouldn't worry as much - if you have a reputable seller, everything should be alright. If you buy a new set for 60 pounds, you'll have some shiny trash can lids that you'll definitely lose money on. On the other hand, if you buy a decent used set, your son might stick with those cymbals for years. The "right set" doesn't exist - it's different for everyone and tastes change. Even cracks aren't necessarily a deal breaker. I've played great sounding rides with small cracks - you can drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it. If it only lasts for another year, that's still probably more time than you'll get out of cheap brass cymbals.

This set is a steal and should serve him well for years to come: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sabien-Xs-20-cymbals-set-used-but-as-a-studio-set-Sound-bright-and-look-great/223633784980?hash=item34119cc094:g:u4gAAOSwiSZdX56y

larkim

Not made a purchase yet, but at least the drums are now at home - I was surprised how small the boxing was, I suppose I hadn't expected the shells to be "russian-dolled" inside each other with the heads to be fitted when we unbox. I presume that should be a straightforward process, there's plenty of youtube videos showing how to replace a head and tune it up etc.

One other thing I've seen when looknig around are these "quiet" cymbals. We don't have a soundproof home and whilst we don't have any joining walls with neighbours, I guess I should at least consider quiet cymbals when we're talking home practice as the main use for the kit. Worth it or not? If they were the only cymbal purchase, I guess that's a fairly big compromise. Are there other ways to mute / quieten cymbals (e.g. clipping a cloth to them etc?)

larkim

Just to update, the kit was very well received at Christmas. Paired the Natal drums with Thomann b8 cymbals which, whilst I couldn't find any reviews of, seemed excellent value for money and a good starting point with the ability to progress from. On Christmas day, complete with hat from a Christmas cracker, he was getting well in to it https://photos.app.goo.gl/VMKE8qwQGLvAZr6D6

Added some cowbells since then and tweaked a few things, but it's all standing up to his use and abuse very well so far! We're just about getting used to the noise levels...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Just to update, the kit was very well received at Christmas. Paired the Natal drums with Thomann b8 cymbals which, whilst I couldn't find any reviews of, seemed excellent value for money and a good starting point with the ability to progress from. On Christmas day, complete with hat from a Christmas cracker, he was getting well in to it https://photos.app.goo.gl/VMKE8qwQGLvAZr6D6

Added some cowbells since then and tweaked a few things, but it's all standing up to his use and abuse very well so far! We're just about getting used to the noise levels...
Thanks for sharing-love the video! I love happy endings-you chose well. Twenty years from now he'll be talking about this drum kit and the whole life experience I bet..

wraub

I recently got my first "real" drum kit, a starter set, and I can't get enough of the thing, I play it all the time... I can only imagine your kid's face.

I have the feeling you have a very happy future drummer there.