First jam tonight. Advice? Tips?

I'm really glad it went well.
One thing I've learned as I get older, I always play at home for an hour before gigs and rehearsals or such. That tends to work the kinks out for me so when I get there, I don't need 4 or 5 songs to get warmed up and loose on. It's made a huge difference for me.

I will try this before our next jam!

I owe a big thank you to this community. Last night was a blast, and they want me back next week!

We did mostly classic rock covers like Handle with care, Brown eyed girl, Crossroads, Authority song, etc. I kept it very simple and moved the kick around for different songs. It was really fun working out with the band to figure out how to count everybody in and things like that.

And, as you all said, being relaxed was the key. First few song, I was so stiff, and was unsure of my tempo. Then a few songs in, I felt more comfortable, and maybe even felt that elusive "pocket" for a moment or two.

The house kit was an import Mapex 1 up 1 down. I felt super comfortable with it pretty quickly. They mic'd the kick and nothing else. Kick drum sounded thunderous. It allowed me to kick with less effort to be heard than otherwise. I liked that.

And this helped me tremendously! Just knowing the changes and anticipating it with a crash was so satisfying. I felt like I was directing the band.

Overall, it was a fun experience. I can't wait to do it again next week. Now, how do I prep for next week? What can I do to prepare myself better?

That is awesome Rummy! Way to get out there and do it. Keep swatting and having fun

I owe a big thank you to this community. Last night was a blast, and they want me back next week!

We did mostly classic rock covers like Handle with care, Brown eyed girl, Crossroads, Authority song, etc. I kept it very simple and moved the kick around for different songs. It was really fun working out with the band to figure out how to count everybody in and things like that.

And, as you all said, being relaxed was the key. First few song, I was so stiff, and was unsure of my tempo. Then a few songs in, I felt more comfortable, and maybe even felt that elusive "pocket" for a moment or two.

The house kit was an import Mapex 1 up 1 down. I felt super comfortable with it pretty quickly. They mic'd the kick and nothing else. Kick drum sounded thunderous. It allowed me to kick with less effort to be heard than otherwise. I liked that.

And this helped me tremendously! Just knowing the changes and anticipating it with a crash was so satisfying. I felt like I was directing the band.

Overall, it was a fun experience. I can't wait to do it again next week. Now, how do I prep for next week? What can I do to prepare myself better?

Excellent ! Glad it went well and most importantly you had fun ! As for next week , just work on anything you felt weak on or wasn’t happy with . Get on the kit as much as you can and work on staying steady and consistent . Play along to the songs you did and any you will be doing next week . As time goes on you’ll get more and more comfortable . Happy and excited for ya ! Great feeling ..... isn’t it ?

Excellent ! Glad it went well and most importantly you had fun ! As for next week , just work on anything you felt weak on or wasn’t happy with . Get on the kit as much as you can and work on staying steady and consistent . Play along to the songs you did and any you will be doing next week . As time goes on you’ll get more and more comfortable . Happy and excited for ya ! Great feeling ..... isn’t it ?

I tried to put some time in last night, you know, to go over the songs we did. But man, my right leg was not cooperating. I had never played 3 hours straight before, and honestly I was surprised I hung in there for all 3. I think I'm going to rest another day, and go right back at it over the weekend.

It really was a great feeling, and I can't wait to do it again.

The first real jam I attended happened on a Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend, and literally lasted all afternoon and into the evening. We weren't playing non-stop, but there were definitely some long stretches there.

One of the things that I noticed was that the longer we played, the looser and more fluid I got, although my right ankle started to misfire some by the end.

Do you know how sometimes things just come together in just the right way to make for a fantastic day? This was one of those days. We tried to duplicate it on another year, but it just didn't have the same vibe that it did that one time.

Jams can be a really really good time. We jammed all kinds of tunes - Skynyrd, Doors, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix - just a lot of old classic rock jams. I didn't even know a lot of them, but it didn't matter - I laid down groove as best I could and we had a great time.

All of this talk makes me want to get back behind the drums - I haven't drummed much at all as of late.

I tried to put some time in last night, you know, to go over the songs we did. But man, my right leg was not cooperating. I had never played 3 hours straight before, and honestly I was surprised I hung in there for all 3. I think I'm going to rest another day, and go right back at it over the weekend.

It really was a great feeling, and I can't wait to do it again.

3 hours at one time without a break is quite a haul, especially for someone who hasn't been doing it. I play every weekend, and I notice a difference once i get past 1:15-1:20 in one set. I know many can go longer and not notice it, but that comes with many hours practice at it. My advice would be to see if they're willing to take a short break after say 90 minutes or so. Even 5-10 minutes will refresh you quite a bit. And I think you'll find your playing is better for it.

3 hours at one time without a break is quite a haul, especially for someone who hasn't been doing it. I play every weekend, and I notice a difference once i get past 1:15-1:20 in one set. I know many can go longer and not notice it, but that comes with many hours practice at it. My advice would be to see if they're willing to take a short break after say 90 minutes or so. Even 5-10 minutes will refresh you quite a bit. And I think you'll find your playing is better for it.

I should have clarified my comments. We did take quick 2 minute water breaks here and there. I would get up, stretch my lower back, and arms and drink some water.

I should have clarified my comments. We did take quick 2 minute water breaks here and there. I would get up, stretch my lower back, and arms and drink some water.

Remember , a lot of base/kick parts can be simplified without hurting the song or even be noticed by 99% of those in attendance . It will save your leg and allow you to play longer and more comfortably until you build and train leg and ankle muscles and developed fine motor muscle memory and strength . Many times doubles can become singles in many songs , or at least in some parts of a lot of songs to give those muscles a rest and aid in the length of play . Play with the songs , you’ll hear where this can be done pretty easily . It’ll all come in time as you practice and develops the muscles . Your using all kinds of parts that gotta work together ,...... muscle , ligaments tendons and nerves .

Back