First Gig With New Jazz Trio Tonite Set Lists

timmdrum

Silver Member
The red = VF Live Wire yes! They're louder. The blue brushes are just plastic bristles I use them when I'm only stirring the soup on snare and not doing anything with cymbals: Promark B400. They're pretty much just like VF Jazz rake brushes from what I can tell. But they're blue. They retract like the VF, too.
Where are brushes of any color shown? Am I missing something? Has a pic been removed?

timmdrum

Silver Member

A J

My drumming style is fully rooted in the rock genre. Jazz is way beyond what I could ever contemplate. But... I must admit that I LOVE playing a compact 2-piece kit: bass, snare, hats and cymbal.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
My drumming style is fully rooted in the rock genre. Jazz is way beyond what I could ever contemplate. But... I must admit that I LOVE playing a compact 2-piece kit: bass, snare, hats and cymbal.
This weekend will be our next gig at same upscale champagne/ wine venue. Several people in audience of our 1st gig there last month tested positive for COVID, so we could not practice the next week following COVID protocols. I tested negative and so did bass and singer, but guitar player and his wife tested positive. So we missed another week. Then our singer was out of town at a music festival. Which brings us to this week. We'll practice Thursday and play Saturday. But I'm finding most jazz musicians that play gigs don't need much practice as a band. They know all the songs and it's mostly beginnings/ endings and keys they work on with singer at practice.

We may drop two vocal songs/ adding two more, and adding two instrumentals that bass and guitar know very well. I'll just be swinging behind them.

For Saturday I don't even think I'm taking the small kick drum; there is a short brick wall in front of us and I don't think anybody can hear the kick. May be just be snare/hats/ one ride.

Reactions: A J

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Can the band hear the kick?

If so, take it, regardless of whether or not the audience can. You can keep the band together better, which should mean a better performance. The audience would hear that, wouldn't they?

:)

If you look at pic of us set up at venue, you can see I'm on one end. Bass next to me and guitar on other side of bass. Singer way on other side. The kick is just a very thin like 4" wide Farmer kick single head. Not enough room for normal kick. The space is only about 4 feet wide maybe.

Guitar can't hear me. I'll ask bass; I don't think he could hear me but I'll ask.

A J

This weekend will be our next gig at same upscale champagne/ wine venue. Several people in audience of our 1st gig there last month tested positive for COVID, so we could not practice the next week following COVID protocols. I tested negative and so did bass and singer, but guitar player and his wife tested positive. So we missed another week. Then our singer was out of town at a music festival. Which brings us to this week. We'll practice Thursday and play Saturday. But I'm finding most jazz musicians that play gigs don't need much practice as a band. They know all the songs and it's mostly beginnings/ endings and keys they work on with singer at practice.

We may drop two vocal songs/ adding two more, and adding two instrumentals that bass and guitar know very well. I'll just be swinging behind them.

For Saturday I don't even think I'm taking the small kick drum; there is a short brick wall in front of us and I don't think anybody can hear the kick. May be just be snare/hats/ one ride.

Last month, the rythm guitar player and I played two 4-hour gigs (Friday and Saturday) with Covid. We both felt lousy but soldiered on. Neither of us knew we had it till the day after.

Definitely bring a kick drum... ANY kick drum. Even if the audience doesn't hear it well, it will help keep you solid.