First gig tips??

double check all screws and bolts to make sure they're tight (but not overright). I've never played a gig as a drummer, but i have as a guitarist, and one time our drummer's bass drum beater came out mid-song.

You're probably already ready. Just three things to remember:

1: Have a good time.

2: Have a good time.

3. Have a good time.

Otherwise, it's not worth it!

I just thought of another good tip- one that had to be learnt the hard way of playing out in crap holes....

If at some point during your performance some drunk d!ck decides to yell out 'helpful' advice to you... usually along the lines of "Play more cymbals", "More cowbell" "kick the bassdrum harder" etc.....

The best course of action for your performance and the sound of your band is to do the complete opposite of what the moron is screaming at you to do.

Just an FYI- drunks do not make good sound-techs

double check all screws and bolts to make sure they're tight (but not overright). I've never played a gig as a drummer, but i have as a guitarist, and one time our drummer's bass drum beater came out mid-song.

that's good advice. it seems like whenever i have to play someone else's kit, something falls apart or comes undone in the middle of the performance. so yeah, check to make sure everything's tight, especially cymbal tilters. i hate it when all of a sudden a cymbal goes vertical on you in the middle of a song. also make sure the bass drum is firmly stuck in place, either with the spurs or by some other means. you don't want it creeping away from you constantly.

If it is someone elses kit you may want to bring your bass pedal if you are used to it. The pedal may not have the same feel as yours and that can scew you up ( you won't want to adjust the pedal to suit you either). Even if you don't need it and leave it in the car, it couldn't hurt.

know the songs backwards and forwards. And also just smile and enjoy playing! Every crowd loves a band who actually enjoys playing for them

I had my first gig last year and had great advice:
Look up and at the audience, it is important you do not look down at your playing.
Smile.
Also, look at the other musicians in your group as they can signal things to you.
Bring water, a towel (sweaty hands) and spare sticks (sorry if this is all obvious advice)

Imagine everyone in their underwear. Especially the hotties.

dont you do that anyway?! ha ha!

no really.
if you've got enough sticks just place them allover the back of the stage (within reach of course) i once filled in for a band who drummer went walkabouts and we were closing the set and in like the 2nd verse i lost grip of the stick and it went flying up the back of the stage, and i didnt have any handy! so yeah, if you have enough put them everywhere you can grab - under the floor tom, on the bassdrum, under the stool, on the amps...

Definately check out the lighting level before hand if you refer to notes, tabs or music. My night vision is horrible so if I have any written info that I need to refer to and I know I'm playing in low lighting, I copy into larger font. Oh, and I want to hear how it went in excrutiating detail. Good Luck!

to make a gig go well, requires confidence. if your confident, it will flow like water. smooth as you like.

another thing, dont worry about your stage sound. we did this the first 2 or 3 gigs, we thought we sounded crap on stage and so our hearts wernt in it. but ignore the stage sound, to the crowd you will be brilliant.

Definately check out the lighting level before hand if you refer to notes, tabs or music. My night vision is horrible ...... I copy into larger font. ...!

Same here - In low light my eyes are toast!.

I have a silver drum kit so I wrap white xmas lights around the drums and rack, I can see my notes and the floor around me when its dark, also the silver sparkle looks really good from the crowds position when lit up.

Back