First drum heads

Hi everyone, I am a beginner and I am going to buy my first batter and resonant drum heads for my Tama Stagestar Poplar set.
I want a full-focused and somewhat dark sound, easy to tune, medium or high durability, reduced overtones, good for pop rock and to start in jazz (When I delve into this genre, later I will buy more suitable batter heads)
Listening to demos on youtube and reading on forums I have chosen these heads but I have doubts and I want to know your opinions.

Snare
B: Remo Powerstroke P3 or Pinstripe?
R: Remo Ambassador Renaissance Snare Side
Toms
B: Evans G2 coated
R: Evans G1 Clear Reso, Remo Ambassador or Evans EC Reso?
Bass
B: Evans EQ4 Calftone
R: Evans EQ3 Coated White (I plan to buy this bass head later because to buy everything I only have $ 150)

Do you think they are good options?
Which should I choose?
Would you choose another head that I have not written?

Thanks in advance c:

Sorry if there is a typing error, G translator

Last edited:
My opinion on the matter is:

You should begin with a stock single ply over a stock single ply and moon gel. This means Ambassador over Ambassador, G1 over G1, or whatever Aquarian makes, etc. Pick the brand that is easily obtainable in your jurisdiction.

If you find that you constantly use the moon gel towards the center of a drum, consider a built-in control dot for your next head. If you find that you constantly use moon gel towards the edge of a drum, consider a built-in control ring for your next head. If you find yourself using moon gel all over your drums, consider a built-in control top (both a ring and a dot) for your next head. If you find yourself not using moon gel, or only using it on occasion to shape a sound for a particular track, do/buy nothing.

I often see beginners buying into sound-control'ed (and gimmick) heads and not knowing why they're making the decision. I'd love to encourage an approach that avoids that.

If you're an absolute beginner, I don't recommend getting bogged down with head selections just let. You have a lot of technique and so forth to work on before the complexities of gear and accessories will become a meaningful concern. By posing this question, you'll receive 257 opinions that pull you in just as many directions. That's unproductive at this stage of your drumming journey. Your focus should be on playing, not on heads other drummers think you should be using.

The gist: Get some heads -- any heads -- and start drumming as much as possible. You'll have ample time to customize your sound down the line.

My opinion on the matter is:

You should begin with a stock single ply over a stock single ply and moon gel. This means Ambassador over Ambassador, G1 over G1, or whatever Aquarian makes, etc. Pick the brand that is easily obtainable in your jurisdiction.

If you find that you constantly use the moon gel towards the center of a drum, consider a built-in control dot for your next head. If you find that you constantly use moon gel towards the edge of a drum, consider a built-in control ring for your next head. If you find yourself using moon gel all over your drums, consider a built-in control top (both a ring and a dot) for your next head. If you find yourself not using moon gel, or only using it on occasion to shape a sound for a particular track, do/buy nothing.

I often see beginners buying into sound-control'ed (and gimmick) heads and not knowing why they're making the decision. I'd love to encourage an approach that avoids that.

Well, that's a good way to look at it, but 1-layer heads usually have less durability than 2-layer, and I'm planning to use these heads for a long time, but thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind.

Well, that's a good way to look at it, but 1-layer heads usually have less durability than 2-layer, and I'm planning to use these heads for a long time, but thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind.

If you want excellent durability, put a Remo Coated Emperor on your snare and Remo Clear Pinstripes on your toms and bass. That setup should last a very long time.

Again, any double-ply heads should hold up fairly well. My above recommendations are just examples. I wouldn't overthink heads right now.

Regarding Durability: If you find that you are putting dents into your heads, there's a 99% chance that you need to address technique. Dents are typically seen in stock heads on economy kits because beginners lack technique, and not because the APAC heads are meaningfully less durable.

Regarding Longevity: Mylar (unused) will retain most of its integrity for about two decades.

FWIW: The current set of Ambassadors on my kit have been in use for ~2.5 years, played approximately 1/2 hour each/every day doing pop/rock. Not a single dent on them, and I expect them to last another year or so. I typically wear through the snare coating on an ambassador every year. Note that the head is fine and all as long as you're not using brushes.

Good advice already. I concur with playing what you have and theorize what different heads will do outside of what you’re getting with the stock heads. But to be simple about it, a double ply head will tune lower and have less overtones than a single-ply head.

If you want excellent durability, put a Remo Coated Emperor on your snare and Remo Clear Pinstripes on your toms and bass. That setup should last a very long time.

Again, any double-ply heads should hold up fairly well. My above recommendations are just examples. I wouldn't overthink heads right now.

+100

Only you can decide the sound you want. All we can give you is opinion. I don't like Evans and play Remo exclusively. I can only say the reason I don't like Evans is....I've never liked the sound or feel of any Evans head I've played. I realize you're just beginning, so read the responses realizing that any suggestions you take may or may not translate into what you've expressed you're trying to achieve.

I may be way off here but if I play a instrument it has to sound and feel good to me. If it doesn't then what fun is it? I found that experimenting with drum heads was fun and educational to me. Helped me with tuning as well. There really is no quote right answer, you have to find it on your own. Good Luck and have fun!!!

I'm curious why Remo on the snare and Evans on everything else?

The snare choices are interesting. The Renaissance snare side head is good if you want a dryer, more papery snare sound, but isn't my first choice unless you have a drum that is naturally really ringy and bright. I've tried Pinstripes and the Evans equivalent of the Powerstroke 3 head and those aren't my first choice, but they're popular enough. That's putting two dry heads on a dry sounding shell material. I certainly don't think that snare is ever going to sound lively by a long shot.

The G2 over G1 is a popular combination. I do like the EC Reso a lot, and paired with the G2 batter should sound nice.

I've never tried that bass drum combo, but I can't find any fault in it either. Since you're asking for suggestions, I'd recommend an Aquarian Super Kick. All of my bass drums have one and I really like how they sound and they require little to no extra muffling.

I'm curious why Remo on the snare and Evans on everything else?

The snare choices are interesting. The Renaissance snare side head is good if you want a dryer, more papery snare sound, but isn't my first choice unless you have a drum that is naturally really ringy and bright. I've tried Pinstripes and the Evans equivalent of the Powerstroke 3 head and those aren't my first choice, but they're popular enough. That's putting two dry heads on a dry sounding shell material. I certainly don't think that snare is ever going to sound lively by a long shot.

The G2 over G1 is a popular combination. I do like the EC Reso a lot, and paired with the G2 batter should sound nice.

I've never tried that bass drum combo, but I can't find any fault in it either. Since you're asking for suggestions, I'd recommend an Aquarian Super Kick. All of my bass drums have one and I really like how they sound and they require little to no extra muffling.

I like a more "classic" snare sound given by Remo, while evans is something more "lively" and in some cases modern, although the differences are not many or at least that's how I perceive it, but I don't know, I liked them in the demos I heard on youtube.
Do you think an Ambassador Hazy snare side would be a better option?
Or what batter head would be suitable for Renaissance?

Last edited:
Have you tried any muffling techniques on the heads you have yet? If there is any life left in them, you might want to try that. It is useful knowledge and also costs next to nothing. Even if you get new heads tuning can still be tricky, I am still figuring it out too.
Now bass drum heads (& muffling) are a whole nuther level of confusing, and (to me,) the biggest difference in sound and volume. And they are not cheap. You might wind up spending $150 on bass drum heads.

I like a more "classic" snare sound given by Remo, while evans is something more "lively" and in some cases modern, although the differences are not many or at least that's how I perceive it, but I don't know, I liked them in the demos I heard on youtube.
Do you think an Ambassador Hazy snare side would be a better option?
Or what batter head would be suitable for Renaissance?

A Renaissance has a very particular sound. I like a little more "ping" in the snare side head for general drumset sounds, so I use a Remo clear Ambassador. The standard Remo hazy Ambassador is "the standard" for a reason, so that would probably be my best recommendation.

For snare batter heads I usually go with a single ply head with a dot or a basic two-ply coated, so in Remo heads I'd recommend a CS Reverse Dot or a coated Vintage Emperor.

This thread is already flamed out. In my opinion stop listening to us. Turn your computer off and try stuff on your own. If you don't you will be chasing your tail. Good luck.

Just remember 80-90% of the sound comes from the drum head so this decision is probably the greatest decision you'll ever have to make related to drumming. Not putting any pressure on you or anything LOL. I'd place all your choices on a sheet then blindfold yourself and just take pick a random head selection. If not happy with the selection-well it's Fate's fault not yours. You''ll be happier with a random pick than a well thought out cognitive choice-one Science paper found that to be true. That's how I picked my wife-just wandered around Georgia State University till I found a door open with this woman operating on a crayfish. Of course I asked her out immediately-who doesn't love crawdads or having electrodes implanted into your brain. Now if I had thought about well I'd still be single. Just throw caution to the wind and go for it man-you can do it!!!!

Back