First Custom Snare Build

acsunda

Hello all!

I recently finished my first custom drum build and wanted to share. It was made using a 5.5x14 6-ply maple shell from DFD. I stained the shell with a 50:50 mix of water and light brown leather dye, and coated it with clear gloss lacquer. The hoops were repurposed from a snare which belonged to my great-grandfather, a 1920's-era Lyon & Healy (see pic of old hoops with new shell). I sanded and stained the hoops to match the new shell. The finished pic was taken before I added the snare throw-off and wires, so it was not quite finished when I took it, but I have since added brass throw off and butt plate. Overall, I love how it turned out!

IMG_7934.jpg

acsunda

Oh, forgot to attach the pic of the old hoops and new shell. IMG_7746.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That's beautiful.

What's the notch in the bottom of the top hoop? Is that supposed to be the bottom hoop where snare cords pass through?

someguy01

Platinum Member
Hello all!

I recently finished my first custom drum build and wanted to share. It was made using a 5.5x14 6-ply maple shell from DFD. I stained the shell with a 50:50 mix of water and light brown leather dye, and coated it with clear gloss lacquer. The hoops were repurposed from a snare which belonged to my great-grandfather, a 1920's-era Lyon & Healy (see pic of old hoops with new shell). I sanded and stained the hoops to match the new shell. The finished pic was taken before I added the snare throw-off and wires, so it was not quite finished when I took it, but I have since added brass throw off and butt plate. Overall, I love how it turned out!

eceView attachment 110532
I keep playing with the idea of doing this very thing, your excellent work has made me even more inclined to build my own snare. Beautiful.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Looks smashing. Something to be proud of.

JimmyM

Gold Member
How awesome is that? Nice! A buddy of mine makes all his own drums and that's a great way to go if you have the skill. You obviously do.