First attempt at recording, here goes

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So, I'm little nervous putting this here but here goes.

First real attempt at recording over a track. Found a great youtube channel Freedrumlesstracks. Found this funk groove and gave it a go. Some little spots that could be cleaned up playing wise but I think it turned out pretty decent.

Drums DW Performance, Cymbals-Zildjian. Combination of A, A Customs, K Custom Hybrid
Audix DP7 mic kit
Yamaha mg166c mixer
USB hookup directly out of mixer into an ASUS ROG laptop using audacity. (wanted to use protools first but was having issues with not being able to get it to recognize the usb connection to my mixer and couldn't get a sound on it.)

https://youtu.be/9h9Dv3I3CEc

KamaK

Platinum Member
Good stuff. It takes a lot of courage to begin sharing stuff. I think you did great.

Peace, Love, and Goodwill.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Good stuff. It takes a lot of courage to begin sharing stuff. I think you did great.

Peace, Love, and Goodwill.
Thanks man, appreciate it. Yeah not going to lie definitely nervous putting something out there but that's how we grow and improve right ;-)

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Really good, Konaboy! I enjoyed it. Great looking DWs - thinking about some live action down the road?

M

Matt Bo Eder

That sounds great. Good job! I couldn't help but visualize an adult film with that music, though. If it had more wah-wah pedal on the guitar it'd be spot on ;)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Sounds great! The sound is natural and mixed nicely.
Is that the recording that you were talking about in your thread about latency?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
My question in that thread wasn't about latency, someone else brought that up. It was.more about what to listen to as a monitor so I could try and get all the levels coming out of my mixer to.sound even in the DAW. Since.om running usb directly from my mixer I'm limited in adjusting volumes after recording. Took a lot of trial and error yesterday to get the mix you heard

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Really good, Konaboy! I enjoyed it. Great looking DWs - thinking about some live action down the road?
Did the bar band thing for a while 20 some odd years ago. Play for my church every week now. Still a rock player at heart. Been wanting to "create" more lately, miss that part of playing in a traditional band. Figured adding my own spin to songs was adding good place.to start

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Wow that sounds fantastic-very well played-tasteful. I was checking out that site just the other day.

Thanks, I played around with "adding more stuff" to it but it just didn't feel right. This track I think the "less is more" principal applies.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Did a very minor EQ adjustment to the drum channel, dropped the mids down some and that's pretty much it. I also knocked some of the lows out on my mixer on the toms and bass

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Pretty good recording there mate, decent playing too. Nothing to be worried about in terms of playing! I think you have a very solid understanding of what you're doing recording-wise.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Pretty good recording there mate, decent playing too. Nothing to be worried about in terms of playing! I think you have a very solid understanding of what you're doing recording-wise.
Thanks Duncan. Truth is I got lucky i think. Other than knowing mic placement I have very little understanding of recording other than basic levels and eq adjustments