Fired for COVID/ Age

mrfingers

So my band decided that since I am the oldest, most COVID susceptible band member I had to go...also they were planning on playing more high tempo songs(ex.: Sex Type Thing) and didn’t think 3 sets of those would be possible with my age(72.5). We used to play southern rock...no big deal for me and we’ve gradually added more up-tempo (150-175 bpm) songs, also not a problem for me but I do sweat A LOT. Evidentially not a good sign for the band members!
End of rant.

Disappointing. How long have you been in the band?

Regarding covid - the drummer is probably the most isolated member of the band. And over 70’s don’t catch/spread the virus more than younger folk, although they are more likely to get seriously sick if they do catch it. Either way, disappointing.

I'm sorry! It's very much their loss though. We are having a similar discussion in my band, although the member has real issues that do prevent his participation, unlike you.
Hope you are able to keep performing in a different situation.
James Brown said, "always let them see you sweat. "

Saw Steve Gadd at a similar age, he's still a lively old bugger. Don't beat yourself up, get another gig. Not many players who can claim to be more experienced.

Last time I checked drummers sweat lots, hence why we have fans as standard. It's a physical job.

Screw them! You served the songs, yet for some reason they wanted you gone & just needed an excuse. Go out & find another group to play with & show them up!! You got this brother!!

I agree with Andy, I think they wanted to get rid of you for other reasons. Don't feel bad. Find another band.
But you should get a treadmill heart test just to make sure you have no issues.
When I was 67 years old I started sweating when I played and I never used to sweat when I played. Found out I was having heart issues.

So my band decided that since I am the oldest, most COVID susceptible band member I had to go...also they were planning on playing more high tempo songs(ex.: Sex Type Thing) and didn’t think 3 sets of those would be possible with my age(72.5). We used to play southern rock...no big deal for me and we’ve gradually added more up-tempo (150-175 bpm) songs, also not a problem for me but I do sweat A LOT. Evidentially not a good sign for the band members!
End of rant.

A good band is like a family - and that certainly isn't how you treat a family member.

You'll be better off without that band in your life - upwards and onwards!!

Sounds to me like they're using Covid related concerns as an excuse. Given their attitude, you're probably better off out of it sooner rather than later anyhow. Sorry to hear of your treatment. You may have just dodged a bullet.

My thoughts exactly.

One of the bands I play in does a lot of Southern rock in addition to country. I wanted to go more country, but the band leader wanted to go more rock. One of the last songs I learned for the band is "Sex-Type Thing." I used to be a big fan of STP, but I really dislike that song. Just because I'm a fan of a band doesn't mean I want to play it.

I also agree that you dodged a bullet.

Crazy admitting blatant age discrimination, but I agree seems a weak argument and time to leave. I wonder if you were in a famous band could you have legal recourse since it was based on age? Seems anyone that moronic you’re better off without. I’d give them hell they are a bunch of morons and that if they wanted to find a new drummer have the balls to be honest and up front after ten years of faithful service.

Sad to read this. Maybe they are gonna start playing deep-dive bars, foggy with ‘Rona for little or no $$$.

It seems a lame excuse to me, so like has been mentioned, they likely wanted a different image with the shift in music. I’d wait for them to come crawling back (They will), then tell them they are too immature for your level of intellect and that you seek more stimulation.

Last edited:
Hi MRF. I too had the same problem. In the first part of February after 12 years I received an email telling me that because of my age (60) and some health issued, my services were know longer needed. I could see their point but, by email, I was a little hurt to say the least. They were like my kids too me.

Back