Fired for COVID/ Age

C.M. Jones

I've always approached music with an ageless, raceless, demographically indifferent outlook. My drumming mantra: "If you can play, I'll accompany you." I really care about nothing else. Musicianship is my only focus.

NouveauCliche

Hi MRF. I too had the same problem. In the first part of February after 12 years I received an email telling me that because of my age (60) and some health issued, my services were know longer needed. I could see their point but, by email, I was a little hurt to say the least. They were like my kids too me.
That's crazy man - I'm sorry to hear that, but obviously you're better off without them. You'll find a better fit with people who wouldn't do something like that via e-mail.

The more I think about it the more obnoxious that gets.

AsbaSakae69

Showbiz is merciless, that's why I never tell anybody my age. Still my band gets someone else on the videos. I can live with that as long as I'm still the one playing.

crash

You got a rotten deal! Change happens, they didn't handle it very well. I've just turned 72, and I can feel my options slipping. Try to find some other people who don't care about age, or are older and just want to play. I started to play with a big jazz band, it seems to suit me. There is a learning curve, I spent a lot of time working on reading charts. There are some good chart reading books out there to get you started if that interests you. I spend a lot of time working with charts and music minus drum cds. Best of luck to you!

I feel for you. It sounds like an excuse to me too. Too bad they didn't have the balls to be honest.
Find a new gig and play on.

I brought this guy up before in another thread but it's applicable here too. George Schwindt got tossed in 2015 from Flogging Molly for a lame reason. Again, sounded like an excuse.

I took grief for not sweating on stage from a band member once. He couldn't believe I was working hard enough. Moron....
Last time I checked it was about playing the tunes well with technique, feel, dynamics and solid meter. Oh and maybe a stick twirl here or there for the show.

If you want sweat, hit the sauna.....

Al Strange

I feel for you. It sounds like an excuse to me too. Too bad they didn't have the balls to be honest.
Find a new gig and play on.

I brought this guy up before in another thread but it's applicable here too. George Schwindt got tossed in 2015 from Flogging Molly for a lame reason. Again, sounded like an excuse.

I took grief for not sweating on stage from a band member once. He couldn't believe I was working hard enough. Moron....
Last time I checked it was about playing the tunes well with technique, feel, dynamics and solid meter. Oh and maybe a stick twirl here or there for the show.

If you want sweat, hit the sauna.....
I think Joey Kramer has had similar issues with Aerosmith!! I guess it can happen to anyone?!:unsure:

D

Deleted member 525878

Screw them!
If they aren't true friends then you can't trust 'em.
I hate to say this. but, Musicians can be the most shifty back-stabbers!
Go find another band, and play on. There are plenty of sixty-somethings out there playing in bands. Amen to that!

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Sounds to me like they're using Covid related concerns as an excuse. Given their attitude, you're probably better off out of it sooner rather than later anyhow. Sorry to hear of your treatment. You may have just dodged a bullet.
That's my first thought too. Sounds like an excuse, and you're probably better off not being around people that will use something like a pandemic to justify letting someone go.

Angus Macinnes

Sorry that happened. If everyone in our band over 60 were fired we would have no band. Come to think of it our youngest player may be 60. To sad for them and if they were to come back asking you to play again the answer should be a big No!

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I hate to say this. but, Musicians can be the most shifty back-stabbers!..

Thats very true, i experienced this myself recently with someone who even calls himself a "drummer"..

But, i always comfort myself with the believe that someone can not be a jerk his complete life without at one moment, in one way or another, paying the price for that..

moxman

Silver Member
Bum deal.. sounds like they are not worth the trouble. I'm sure you will find a better band.
The sweating thing is tricky.. and concerning. Someone mentioned it as a sign of heart issues.. yikes. Now i'm going to start watching whenever I sweat!
Usually I played relaxed and don't overheat.. but a few clubs I play are notorious for being hot (lots of lights and dancing etc). I find if you can remember to drag a small fan it helps.. but some bar conditions are hard to fight.