Finish Peeling off of Ludwig LB552 Bronze Supraphonic

steverok

Silver Member
Hi Everyone. Looking for some help with my Ludwig LB552 14 x 6.5 bronze Supraphonic that I purchased used in 2013. There is tarnishing all around the top edge of the drum, and what looks to be many areas of the finish actually peeling off, as can be seen on the left area of this photo. I don't know the year of manufacture, but it does have the P33 buttplate, without the lug gaskets. It was not like this when I got it, and, during my tenure as owner, it has spent most of its time in my closet. Looking for information about what this is all about and why this is happening to me.
Ludwig LB552 Bronze Supraphonic #3 - pitting.JPG

The shell has a clear coat, and it looks like the clear coat is wearing off, leading to the shell beginning to patina.

That looks to be where the snare was held when it was being moved around (by you or the previous owner). The outer varnish got worn through and that's why the metal is now exposed to oxygen?

As to what you should do, I'll leave that to others.

OK, so what you are telling me is that my drum will have lots of "character" ? I guess, as long as it sounds the same, and doesn't become too ugly, I can live with it, but if there is something I can do to stop it, I'll do whatever is within my ability.

The bronze itself will be fine. It may patina, but it's the same alloy as a cymbal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The integrity of the shell itself wont be compromised. If you are really worried about it, strip the coating and recoat it.

If you have a music store in town that is able to refurbish band instruments they might also be able to strip and re-lacquer the shell for you if you don't want to try it yourself.

Wouldnt worry about it...keep that area polished with a bit of wax and use gloves when picking it up in the future....seems the clear coat isn't terribly hard wearing which is pretty poor on such an expensive instrument.

Back