Finding Bandmates Online

zambizzi

Platinum Member
There was a thread on here, once upon a time, talking about craigslist and finding band-mates. It must have died a natural death because I don't remember anything on there breaking any rules? Anyhow, I thought I'd start something similar, again.

I'm a busy guy and I don't get out on the local music scene much...so when I look for people to jam with it's usually on Craigslist or BandMix...but mostly it's CL.

I've had a 99% disappointment rate so far but I've got a decent sense of humor, so I'm able to look back and laugh. In the past few months I've had some strange encounters, I thought I'd post them for fun and see what types of stories other have.

**********************************************************************************

Last week I had someone come over for a jam that literally had me worried for my own safety. He explained at length that he wasn't "on anything" and that his profuse sweating and ridiculous, hyper-rapid speech was due to working out for 3 hrs. straight, just before coming over. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until he got his guitar out and started playing and singing. I was completely awe-struck...I thought he was joking at first but after a few minutes I realized he had no idea how terrible he sounded. He didn't know how to tune his guitar, let alone play it...and his "vocals" were something along the lines of tires screeching, mixed with straight yelling. He clearly couldn't keep even basic time...even when I plowed through his missteps and kept the groove going. The agony continued for another 45 min. until I politely told him I had to pack it up and be done for the night. It was truly bizarre.

A few weeks ago a guitarist and his vocalist pal came by after answering an ad of mine on CL...the guy I talked to seemed pretty down to earth and he said he liked all of the same music. Great! Well, they showed up and were clearly "living the metal lifestyle" both in appearance and attitude. They wheeled in stacks of amps and got down to business...with bone-crunching volume and ferocity. I was pretty clear in my ad about *not* being a metalhead and that my gear consisted of a 4pc. kit w/ a single pedal. They proceeded to bust my balls about playing a "much bigger kit" and at least getting a double pedal, if not another bass drum. "You're a good drummer and all but that's what we need!". Thanks and good night.

About a month ago, my guitarist friend (who comes over occasionally and is quite good) located a female guitarist/vocalist on BandMix and had her come by for a jam. The playing would have been excusable if her attitude hadn't been so terrible. It was all downhill from there and every song seemed to have a middle-ages, dungeons & dragons fantasy theme...I swear she even said "unicorns" in there at one point.

There's more but those are the most interesting, so far. I realize there's no "fix" to this and that's what I get for looking online. I've found great players in the past but it's hit and miss...no way around that.

Anyone else like to share some stories?

Last edited:
haha! yes, i know all about craigslist. i got my current gig by a band contacting me through craigslist, so i know it can work.

but if you want a story, my band lost our bass player and tried to find a new one through craigslist. i couldn't believe some of the people who answered our ad! the best one was probably this very young guy from russia who'd just come to america. he was a super nice guy and a very compentent guitar/bass player. so far so good. the only problem was that he had almost zero familiarity with rock music, which is what we play. he had never heard of bands like ac/dc and led zeppelin, never mind modern rock bands (although he had at least heard of the beatles). he was mostly familiar with russian folk music and had played in a traditional band of that style in russia. when he played our songs they ended up having kind of a weird polka-ish quality to them. it was very strange. after the audition, a couple guys in our band wanted to "teach" him rock music, like jack black in that "school or rock" movie, because he did have some talent. but in the end we decided to keep looking, which is probably just as well.

Whew! I have had similiar experience on CL!

Why is it when you clearly state what you are looking for, the type of music you want to play, down to the "T" that all these people respond that don't fit what you are looking for at all! The worst is they want to come in and change what you are trying to do into what they want to do. I've had that happen several times. I must be a glutten for punishment....cause I keep looking! :)

haha! yes, i know all about craigslist. i got my current gig by a band contacting me through craigslist, so i know it can work.

but if you want a story, my band lost our bass player and tried to find a new one through craigslist. i couldn't believe some of the people who answered our ad! the best one was probably this very young guy from russia who'd just come to america. he was a super nice guy and a very compentent guitar/bass player. so far so good. the only problem was that he had almost zero familiarity with rock music, which is what we play. he had never heard of bands like ac/dc and led zeppelin, never mind modern rock bands (although he had at least heard of the beatles). he was mostly familiar with russian folk music and had played in a traditional band of that style in russia. when he played our songs they ended up having kind of a weird polka-ish quality to them. it was very strange. after the audition, a couple guys in our band wanted to "teach" him rock music, like jack black in that "school or rock" movie, because he did have some talent. but in the end we decided to keep looking, which is probably just as well.

Ha! Love it. I can just imagine a polka-waltz feel on Black Dog...that would *rawk*.

That reminds of me yet another one - a bassist as well. This dude was from Venezuela and was a really *nice* guy...but he was also mostly unfamiliar w/ any modern mainstream rock music. He would try to get us to play "La Bamba" and other oldies-era rock...which is OK...but not exactly what we had in mind. He could slap like crazy though and had really good chops so it was too bad he hadn't broadened his horizons a bit.

And yeah, BigSteve...I must be a glutton as well, I just keep trying.

another funny thing about that craigslist russian kid is he had no idea how loud rock music actually is. before we started jamming, he was adjusting his bass volume. the exchange went something like this:

bass kid plays a note
lead guitarist: "you're gonna need to turn it up"
bass kid after adjusting: "loud enough?"
lead guitarist: "louder"
bass kid after adjusting again: "loud enough?"
bass kid after adjusting yet again: "loud enough?"
bass kid after adjusting a fourth time: "loud enough?"
lead guitarist: "ok let's try that"

i hit the first cymbal crash of our first song, and he looked at me with this really startled, shocked expression like he was thinking "what have i gotten myself into?" it was pretty funny!

Noob time!

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of what Craigslist is because I hear mentioned a lot by you yanks on here and I just sort of smile, bemusedly, pretending I know what is going on lol

i hit the first cymbal crash of our first song, and he looked at me with this really startled, shocked expression like he was thinking "what have i gotten myself into?" it was pretty funny!

Too funny. "WTF!? Rock n' roll! Run!"

freebird - head to craigslist.org - it's a simple as it gets but it's wildly popular here...probably because it's free and easy to look at and use.

I have had my share of interesting experiences with Craigslist. Most the time I reply to an ad and people just straight up don't reply but once in a great while I manage to get them to reply and we set up a date to jam, they end up coming over and 90% of the time they are on something, while the rest of the time we just don't get along. I have had no success finding cool people who I actually care to call back but I'm not giving up.

Also, I have never heard of BandMix but now I'm going to have to check it out!

I finally had some luck a few weeks ago on CL after about 6 months of looking. Finding musicians is pretty tough around here (Nebraska). It seems most of the ads on CL is usually some punk kid wanting to play 'grindcore' or 'fill-in-the-blank' metal (speed, black, death...) (No offense to you metal guys...) One thing I wanted to add on here while reading the OP's comments. I met the leader/guitarist of my current band at a local cafe after I answered his ad. That way he got to check me out (and I got a feel for him too) to make sure some freak didn't answer his ad. I just wanted to suggest that to you guys if you're looking on a place like CL for a band member...you never know who may answer your ad. And like the OP, now some psycho knows where you live. To sum up, be safe out there.

Me and my sister auditioned a drummer some months ago. He could play solidly in a straight-ahead 4/4 sort of way...but when it got to anything more unexpected, things went a bit wrong. I think he was actually slightly frightened. Mind you, you might see why if you listen to what we were asking him to play...

Me and my sister auditioned a drummer some months ago. He could play solidly in a straight-ahead 4/4 sort of way...but when it got to anything more unexpected, things went a bit wrong. I think he was actually slightly frightened. Mind you, you might see why if you listen to what we were asking him to play...

Truly a unique listening experience...thanks, and I can see why the guy broke a sweat...ROFL and I do like your stuff

3 or 4 days ago i finally got a call from this guy that saw my craigslist posting. This was his like exact message he left on my phone.

"yeah, uh, im calling cause i saw your posting on craigslist. Uh, yeah, we've been playing for like 5 years and i have kind of a recording studio going in my garage. You seem pretty cool, you're into grunge and nirvana, and you're a drummer and if you're interested, then give me a call. My name is nate by the way."

anyway, i called him back and told him that im not going to be in the country for the next 2 months (im seriously not) but i said i'll be sure to give him a call when i get back (i wrote his number and name on a napkin). He was cool with it, and told me not to forget to call him.

im pumped. i finally have a good reason to pay all that money for some solid equipment, now that i know that craigslist works

Building on what brady said, I don't think it's ever a good idea to post your phone number on Craigslist (or anywhere else online). There are some bat-crap crazy people out there.

Anyhow, congrats...enjoy your vacation.

Truly a unique listening experience...thanks, and I can see why the guy broke a sweat...ROFL and I do like your stuff

Heh, glad to hear it! Yes, we have a little difficulty finding the right kind of musicians. We are currently looking, as it happens! Any UK drummers in the vague area of the South-East who might be interested in having their minds removed in this fashion?

Building on what brady said, I don't think it's ever a good idea to post your phone number on Craigslist (or anywhere else online). There are some bat-crap crazy people out there.

Anyhow, congrats...enjoy your vacation.

i'd rather be here playing with "nate", but thanks!

he sounded alright though, and around my age. I didnt expect to find anyone because everyone around where i live is into classic rock cover bands, screamo, or pop punk...

I was surprised someone else liked grunge in ohio

Back