Finally went to a clinic

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Today I went to a GC drum clinic in Cerritos (CA). It was with a local guy named Chad Whackerman & a German guy named Thomas Lang. You've probably heard of them both, I'm sure. It was quite the experience.

I got there a little early to get a seat. It was pretty full by the time it got started. Lots of drummers.

Chad started the clinic. He did an amazing drum solo. Then a mini technique session/lesson with just a snare drum. Then he spoke a little about his history, his gear and did a lot of Q&A, which was very generous of him. He finished up showing us some off-time beats, etc.

There was a little downtime in between drummers. The store manager gave away a few sticks, drum keys and Evans snare heads (G1 coated).

Then Thomas Lang got up there and did his thing. Let me tell you, this guy is absolutely amazing on drums. His coordination is incredible and he has lightening fast feet and arms. <<MINDBLOWN>> He talked about his gear a bit more than Chad did. I had to go before he got into the Q&A part. I had to get ready to go play a gig myself.

All in all, a great experience. I would highly recommend it. Funny thing, turns out, Chad is a friend of my band leader. If I would have got a free snare drum head, I would've asked him to sign it.

I've been meaning to go to a clinic at some point. Twelve years, and still plenty to take in from others. Seems like you had an overall great experience.

I've been meaning to go to a clinic at some point. Twelve years, and still plenty to take in from others. Seems like you had an overall great experience.

Oh yeah, for sure man. If you ever get a chance, do it. Very cool experience. I was meaning to go to one a couple years ago when Bermuda did one, but I couldn't make it.

I never hear too much about them here in Texas, but there's gotta be some in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I'll give it a look again.

I have been to many here in town. Our local stores manager is a drummer
and seems to have no trouble finding drummers that are willing.

If you go to some of the company web pages you will find a list of artists and many post their tour/clinic schedules there. But if you get a chance, go

Every time a major band comes to South Australia (not often!) their drummer seems to do a clinic next day. I've gone to one every couple of years, and come away inspired, but also a little depressed about how little I can do.
I've seen Chad Smith, Mark Schulmann (Pink), Greg Bisonette, Dave Weckl, Virgil Donati and several others since the 90's.

One of favourite moments was when Greg Bisonette, who was touring with David Lee Roth at the time, interrupted his heavy metal demo to play a jazz swing solo using only brushes and hands. I realised how versatlie some of these guys really are.

Lucky! Every time I go to a clinic, I end up sitting there for 6 hours with a bloody hand in a stupidly full waiting room that has probably no other drummers in it.

Clinics are great I really wish we had more of them. I loved watching lang a couple of years ago, he really is a beast. I even went to his drum camp in Melbourne and he didn't just talk about drums but included many personal experiences and philosophies that were relevant to succeeding at whatever you aim to do, drums or otherwise. Very versatile and interesting bloke.

Every time a major band comes to South Australia (not often!) their drummer seems to do a clinic next day.

I also live in Adelaide. Any idea when the next Drumtek clinic is? Seems they have not run it for nearly 2 years.

I also live in Adelaide. Any idea when the next Drumtek clinic is? Seems they have not run it for nearly 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Hi Galadrm, Derringers seem to be running most drum clinics these days. A couple of weeks ago they featured Ben Todd, who's home for a break from Cirque De Soleil. They have an "Events" heading under "Drums" on their website.

Lucky! Every time I go to a clinic, I end up sitting there for 6 hours with a bloody hand in a stupidly full waiting room that has probably no other drummers in it.

Last Sunday I banged the back of my head on a pipe as I was picking up a snare drum + stand. I recoiled forwards, and mashed my face into the rim of the snare. So I spent the rest of the afternoon at a clinic waiting for treatment for a cut nose, cuts around my right eye, a bruised (black) eye and mild concussion. Interestingly, they closed up the cuts with superglue rather than stitches. They also gave me a tetanus shot.

I guess all this qualifies as a "drum clinic".

Superglue, 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate, was used for surgery long before it was used on Barbie Dolls. Hope you are healing.

"Hope you are healing."

Thanks. Almost healed now. Had a black eye all last week. Received lots of smart comments at work about the wife and frypans...

The bridge of my nose still hasn't quite healed, but the eye looks fine now.

I definitely don't recommend head-butting a metal snare. Was really painful, especially on the bone by my right temple. It wasn't even my drum! I was helping someone else move a kit in a confined space.

I think Superglue was invented for the soldiers in WW2 so that they could close up wounds. My dad used to use it on his fingernails because he did a lot of picking on his autoharp.

The doctor who treated me commented how he's getting a first aid kit ready for a family holiday, and bought some everyday superglue from the grocery store just in case he or his kids received a cut. The composition was the same as the medical grade stuff. The warning "bonds skin on contact" was exactly what he wanted.

Pretty strong fumes though.

Back