Finally some more steamy Kumu action

jayblazeff

Good playing !

Those drums sound FANTASTIC !! How did you record that, what mics did you use and did you add in any effects i.e. reverb to the recording ? Or was that all na-tur-al ?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I just wanted to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed that Wave. I especially liked in the beginning, right before you started playing, how you just thought to yourself for a bit, kinda like Miles. Your drums sound so fine and you recorded them superbly. But your playing is the real treat here. It's hard to make a set of drums sound good unaccompanied, but you sure did, and in fine style I might add.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Good playing !

Those drums sound FANTASTIC !! How did you record that, what mics did you use and did you add in any effects i.e. reverb to the recording ? Or was that all na-tur-al ?
Thanks! I recorded the kit with four mics: an AKG C1000 small diaphragm condenser as an overhead, a Shure Beta 91 condenser inside the kick drum and a pair of Shure SM57s under the snare drums. I recorded the sound with the Zoom H2 via an oldschool powered mixing board, and added a bit of reverb and EQ in post processing. The overhead picked up the toms incredibly well, and their low end was actually so strong that I had to cut a bit of those lower frequencies to reduce their boominess.

aydee

Platinum Member
Sweet stuff, J. As always there's groove in every note. Loved the playing. Thanks for the triple stroke ( for those that are curious its at 4:25 ).
The cha cha bell and snare additions are nice .. ( Is that a brass yamaha? ).. Kit sounds great , no surprise there, just a thought on your solo recordings.. I think they'd sound a lot nicer if the bass drum had a little boom in it,

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Sweet stuff, J. As always there's groove in every note. Loved the playing. Thanks for the triple stroke ( for those that are curious its at 4:25 ).
The cha cha bell and snare additions are nice .. ( Is that a brass yamaha? ).. Kit sounds great , no surprise there, just a thought on your solo recordings.. I think they'd sound a lot nicer if the bass drum had a little boom in it.
Yeah, the snare is a garden variety SD4440. I'll have to mess around with that kick mic placement (maybe have it face the reso head inside the drum?), gain and EQ, since it doesn't quite seem to pick up the boom I'm hearing in the driver's seat...

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
jayblazeff said:
Good playing !

Those drums sound FANTASTIC !!
+1. Some real treats coming from Scandinavia of late. Mickael's blues, now this.

Wavelength said:
How did you record that, what mics did you use and did you add in any effects i.e. reverb to the recording ? Or was that all na-tur-al ?
Thanks! I recorded the kit with four mics: an AKG C1000 small diaphragm condenser as an overhead, a Shure Beta 91 condenser inside the kick drum and a pair of Shure SM57s under the snare drums. I recorded the sound with the Zoom H2 via an oldschool powered mixing board, and added a bit of reverb and EQ in post processing. The overhead picked up the toms incredibly well, and their low end was actually so strong that I had to cut a bit of those lower frequencies to reduce their boominess.
Thanks for the playing and the info, Wavelength.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
Listened yesterday and as always, your playing is really fine tuned. Good groove, good presentation of your idea and a great sounding kit. Good job on the bell with foot but it miss little bit of double bass... LOL !!!

We could notice how much you left our dimension for an emotional expression voyage into your soul. Good use of the dynamics too.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Ok...that's it. My next drums are going to be Kumu! Nice playing too. Blend of Jazz/latino/fusion. The sound is awesome. Nothing too loud, and nothing drowned.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Snares, toms, cymbals all sound superb. Especially the toms, so beautiful, so rich. Kick a bit wooly, but I'm sure that's the recording. Your playing, well, what is there to say really. Tons of skill, feel & a naturally organic composition talent. Quite one of the most stunning posts this year.