Finally! New Yamaha Recording Custom Wood Snares

I think the kits (especially the toms) from the old RC series are much more popular than the snares. Around here you can often find the old RC snares at decent prices, while the toms/BDs are getting really expensive.

And for good reasons, IMHO. I'm not that found of the old RC snares, especially not the bulky parallel strainers. The new ones seems better, but are still 10 lugs...

Everything about the new Recording Custom line is superior to the previous ones. I had one of the old snares, and you're right, that strainer that extended beyond the shell with those plastic pieces was problematic, big time.

Yes, I had one of the old 14x8 RC snares too, and I didn't keep it long for the same reasons ^^.
Won't know for sure till I get one in my hands and hear it - but the new ones look really good.
I am very , very happy with my new brass 14x5.5 RC snare with my Walnut 10/12/14/18 kit though,
and I'm really not a metal snare guy...AND I don't necessarily have a need for matching snares.

So this new wood snare will have to be a knockout to get my money. I'll need a Memphis Drum Shop/ Boston Drum Center, or similar type video to really hear what's going on. Sorry Yamaha, Senri is awesome, but that video isn't telling me much about the new snares.

Last edited:
I think the kits (especially the toms) from the old RC series are much more popular than the snares. Around here you can often find the old RC snares at decent prices, while the toms/BDs are getting really expensive.

And for good reasons, IMHO. I'm not that found of the old RC snares, especially not the bulky parallel strainers. The new ones seems better, but are still 10 lugs...

They'll always be ten lugs. Yamaha adds extra weight to make the lugs heavier.
If they used less lugs, they would have to add even more weight.

Sorry Yamaha, Senri is awesome, but that video isn't telling me much about the new snares.

I was thinking the same thing. With all due respect to drum companies and star drummers, for the high-end market I think a simple honest capture at different tensions would be more relevant -- thank you Andy!

I was thinking the same thing. With all due respect to drum companies and star drummers, for the high-end market I think a simple honest capture at different tensions would be more relevant -- thank you Andy!

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang, just sent my Sweetwater rep a quote request, and then looked at the specs. 1.6MM hoops - No Thank You! That's an automatic $100+ I would have to spend on some Yamaha cast hoops to make they snare usable for me.

Dang, just sent my Sweetwater rep a quote request, and then looked at the specs. 1.6MM hoops - No Thank You! That's an automatic $100+ I would have to spend on some Yamaha cast hoops to make they snare usable for me.

Thin triple flange hoops have a great sound and feel. Don't rule them out. I would probably order a set of the aluminum die cast hoops too though. They're the perfect compromise between zinc die cast and steel triple flanged.

Thin triple flange hoops have a great sound and feel. Don't rule them out. I would probably order a set of the aluminum die cast hoops too though. They're the perfect compromise between zinc die cast and steel triple flanged.

I respect that some drummers enjoy the thinner 1.6mm hoops. I had them on my RC's for a while after I bought it new in 2012. I have since switched them to 3.0mm triple flanged hoops and could not be happier. Something about a pro level snare in that price range with $6 hoops is a turn-off to me. Maybe if the snare were in the $299 range I may consider.

Thin hoops doesn't mean "cheap" hoops. Vintage snare drums had thin triple and double flanged hoops. Many of them were made with brass too, as opposed to steel. Thicker flanged hoops have a certain feel and sound that many drummers don't find musical. I tend to favor heavy, zinc die cast hoops, but Yamaha's aluminum die cast are a nice compromise, sort of like the old Premier die cast hoops of the 70s.

Die cast hoops do require a more expensive manufacturing process, so they tend to be pricey.

Thin hoops doesn't mean "cheap" hoops. Vintage snare drums had thin triple and double flanged hoops. Many of them were made with brass too, as opposed to steel. Thicker flanged hoops have a certain feel and sound that many drummers don't find musical. I tend to favor heavy, zinc die cast hoops, but Yamaha's aluminum die cast are a nice compromise, sort of like the old Premier die cast hoops of the 70s.

Die cast hoops do require a more expensive manufacturing process, so they tend to be pricey.

Absolutely! I have a WFL snare with brass flanged hoops and the are wonderful! The ones that came on my RC, to me, were like the worldmax cheapos that DFD has for about 6 bucks.

Yes, the 1.6mm hoops on the reissue RC's are possibly the highest quality thin hoops I've seen.
They work really well with the drums and Yamaha specified using 1.6mm hoops with the new RC line as a sonic decision, not a cost saving.
Read an article where they said they tried all different types of hoops when doing the redesign, including die cast, aluminum die cast, 2.3mm and 1.6mm. All the thicker/ stiffer hoops 'changed the sound' too much.

Interestingly, I switched the hoops on my Craviotto kit to 1.6mm (from the factory 2.3mm) and I can finally dial them in now. They are not even high quality hoops.

Speaking of that - I wish I could buy high quality thin hoops - Pearl make some but impossible to find.

Back