Finally! My First Final Phil Collins tribute kit

someguy01

So my latest project is to set up something more like Chester Thompson's kit too, and since I (just barely) had the room I figured why not have Phil and Chester's kits side by side!

CTPC1.jpg

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC4.jpg

PC5.jpg

CT1.jpg

CT2.jpg

CT3.jpg

CT4.jpg

CT5.jpg

CT6.jpg

CT7.jpg

CT8.jpg

CT9.jpg

CT10.jpg
Pretty sure these two setups together are bigger than my house. So. Many. Drums.
Thems is some loverly Ludwigs sir!

harryconway

Platinum Member
So my latest project is to set up something more like Chester Thompson's kit too, and since I (just barely) had the room I figured why not have Phil and Chester's kits side by side!
Man those look cool !!!!!! But no kick pedal on the left bass drum?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Nope, it's a 24" bass drum I'm using as a cymbal stand essentially! :p
:ROFLMAO:
...... but without both bass drums the kit just doesn't look complete!
Spot on there. For his Genesis tour kit, ya got to have two bass drums. Looks like you use the P930 pedal. I'm using those, also. Nice pedals.;)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
:ROFLMAO:

Spot on there. For his Genesis tour kit, ya got to have two bass drums. Looks like you use the P930 pedal. I'm using those, also. Nice pedals.;)
Yeah, the P930 pedal is really great. I've been playing around with the settings lately, and while I liked it literally straight out of the box I've dialed it in a little more now and it's just a joy to play.

Hewitt2

I’ve been super lazy but I have finally gone into storage and started re-assembling my Pearl BLX kit - the exact kit Phil used for sessions like Robert Plant’s Principle of Moments and Genesis’s self-titled release.

I have all the toms and will put them together in due course but it’s pretty cool to see these items back in action! A work in progress! 👍

Attachments

• 67FBE58E-B7CC-42D5-9DD3-429EDBB301DE.jpeg
    67FBE58E-B7CC-42D5-9DD3-429EDBB301DE.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 11

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I’ve been super lazy but I have finally gone into storage and started re-assembling my Pearl BLX kit - the exact kit Phil used for sessions like Robert Plant’s Principle of Moments and Genesis’s self-titled release.

I have all the toms and will put them together in due course but it’s pretty cool to see these items back in action! A work in progress! 👍
That's awesome, I can't wait to see it all set up! :)

Yamaha Rider

Yes. The Rocker lugs are notorious for being prone to breaking. I replaced most all of the lugs with Large Classic lugs since they have the same hole spacing and are much more robust. Unfortunately the Rocker bass drum lug has a completely unique hole spacing so I just have to baby them and hope my stock of spare lugs will hold out.
There's no real tension on bass lugs is there?

Justme71

Absolutely fantastic job! I agree with DrummerJustLikeDad there’s no doubt what those two sets are side by side.
I’ve always wondered why Phil used the 15” Tom and not a 14” tom. It always made my OCD crazy not staying within the two inch interval. Any ideas to his reasoning?

I remember reading in MD Neil mentioning something about it just wasn’t good or possible to use the 14” in his setup. I’m paraphrasing poorly but it seems he didn't like something about the 14 Tom and the snare? I’ll need to go back and find it now to reread. I never found anything about Phil’s thoughts on this.
Great tribute to him for sure!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The only logic I could imagine about skipping a 14" tom and jumping from the 12" to the 15" tom is it helped fill in the gap leading to the ride cymbal. I've never read or heard any other reasoning directly from Phil so that's totally a guess.