Finally found my perfect stick tape

S

sticks4drums

I have talked about it on here before, and thought I would put a pic up of the actual product in case anyone is interested. This is a self amalgamating tape that is very stretchy, with a tacky feel. It is used for waterproofing exposed joints on electrical cable. This stuff out lasts the sticks, unlike dips,racket tape, and stick tape that wear through quite quickly I find. Plus it never looses its tacky feel. I have very dry hands and this helps me to use a loose grip, and prevents my hands from over gripping and becoming numb. It does not leave any residue on my hands.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Ah splicing tape...That's what we call it here in PA. Yea that would work good. You can stretch that stuff pretty thin too. Almost to the point of transparency. I don't use grip, but if you need some kind of grip, I think it would work good.

Sticks, this is not the first time you've mentioned your dry hands, must be that cold dry Canadian air. You should use hand lotion.

"It rubs the lotion into it's skin"....

Lol, anybody get the reference? (Not poking you at all Sticks)

S

sticks4drums

Ah splicing tape...That's what we call it here in PA. Yea that would work good. You can stretch that stuff pretty thin too. Almost to the point of transparency. I don't use grip, but if you need some kind of grip, I think it would work good.

Sticks, this is not the first time you've mentioned your dry hands, must be that cold dry Canadian air. You should use hand lotion.

"It rubs the lotion into it's skin"....

Lol, anybody get the reference? (Not poking you at all Sticks)
You are one of my buds now. You can poke away. I just need to know "if you are working with me and not against me then you have me". I know this about you now :) Another good t-shirt.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea Sticks, when you first came here, you ruffled your share of feathers, and I wasn't sure how to take you, but now I couldn't imagine the forum without you. Yea, you're OK by me. You are to this forum, like chili powder is to chili.

You have quite a few post too, for only being here for 9 months.

S

sticks4drums

Yea Sticks, when you first came here, you ruffled your share of feathers, and I wasn't sure how to take you, but now I couldn't imagine the forum without you. Yea, you're OK by me. You are to this forum, like chili powder is to chili.

You have quite a few post too, for only being here for 9 months.
That is the French in me. I like to express myself. :) I usually get banned before people take the time to figure me out. Glad I made it past the first cut. :)

BigDinSD

Gold Member
So you can reuse this stuff? I've been on a quest myself for alternatives to the Regal Tip texture and finish. Hard to find those sticks in the local shop, even the big places.

I'm using tennis grip currently, and it's got a nice texture to it. Seems like you could reuse it though...but I couldn't estimate how many times.

With tennis grip, you always have to have additional tape to secure the ends.

I couldn't locate this tape locally under this name. Seems that brand names put their own label on it and claim you can use it on sports grips, tools, etc.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No, you don't re-use it. No need to, it's inexpensive enough. One roll would last you at least a decade. I think it's like $25.00 a roll or thereabouts. Plus your sticks will wear out before the rubber fails. It has no texture, but it is very tacky. Dry tacky too. No residue or sticky stuff necessary on this product, because it's a friction tape, the rubber holds against itself. The only possible issue I could see is the end unraveling. Some crazy glue or rubber cement on the exposed edge should do the trick.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that this is your standard electrical tape, it's not. Standard electrical tape is smooth and has sticky stuff on one side, really bad for sticks. Splicing tape is just really stretchy rubber, that's all. I get mine at an electrical supply store, but a Home Depot or Lowes may carry it.

One problem, if you play rim clicks with the butt of your stick, then the rubber will most likely deaden the rimclick, but you'd have the same issue w/ any grip I would imagine.

Last edited:
S

sticks4drums

Love you guys. :) The tape does not need to be held in place by anything but itself. You start at the but end, and once it touches itself, it does not come apart again. You can't even pull it off of itself without tearing it, which is really hard to do also. You need to cut it with scissors. When you get to were you want to finish, you just cut it straight to the stick, and wrap it on itself again. Will never unravel. I guarantee it. :)

Thud

This tape is used to waterproof satellite TV dish connections. You wrap it round the connectors on the LNB and it turns to solid rubber. Any satellite shop should stock the stuff.