Finally Finished: Vintage Premier '54 with mods

Old Dog new Cans

Yeah they have a model '54 and '58 that I learned about. I honestly don't know if that was the year the model was created or what.

Love Premier stuff, love pearl wraps and love blues.
Can't help think those wood hoops stick out a bit tho... Beige and blue is a bit of a clash in my eyes.
Would black lacquer on them fit better?

I'm hopefully going to be able to give my buddy that option--or similar. I actually still have the OG bass hoops. They were originally grey with the same wrap inlay. I plan on stripping the paint in the next few months and re-painting them black! So, yeah I was wondering the same thing about the natural finish hoops. But I still think it looks good.
Looks great.

Did you strip the old wrap off, over wrap over it?

That 13" Yamaha tom looks like it might be a Tour Custom.

Interesting Bill. The inside of the Yamaha looked like the birch Tama bass drum I have sitting. It's very solid. the finish on the inside looks like a satin lacquer or something.

Oh no, the wrap was peeling terribly. Jimb----lifting for sure.
It's absolutely awesome Old Dog, that blue finish, A1. And the white wood bass drum hoops, they go along well with the blue finish.

You can buy wrap like that at a music store?

This wrap was purchased from Precision Drum Co. HIGH quality product and service there. Andrea on the phone is quick and awesome. No BS.
(y)

WOW you obviously put TON of blood sweat and tears into this kit! I’ve never restored a kit so I can only imagine what you have put into it, but man it looks beautiful and you should be proud of the results. Fabulous job!

I have a nice feeling of accomplishment for sure. The difficulty came with the snare mechanism, which I saved for the end. Hand polishing all of the small metal parts. I had to find a few things like spur legs, a couple tension rods, and the snare wires cost $100.

To amend my comment to Yamaha Rider. . .I was actually able to dissolve most of the rust. But the finish in those spots was destroyed. I purchased a kitchen stainless steel appliance cleaner, mixed that with goo gone, some Mr. clean and vinegar and DW40. Basically stuff I had. The S.S. cleaner did an amazing job on loosening rust--I'd let it soak for 12-24 hrs.

Old Dog new Cans

If anyone is wondering about the badges. . .I did NOT save the originals. I ended up buying 3/8" by 11mm vents from DFD. And, I used this procedure almost exactly. Worked great. I put 4 cuts in each grommet. It made me nervous as hell to drill through the badges and shells and THEN, hammer the inside of the shell in order to flatten the grommet. But, in the end, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I put a new 1/2" in the Yammie.

Lennytoons

Beautiful work. Those drums look fabulous. I would leave the bass drum hoops natural. To me it gives them a custom look. If you do black I would use inlays but I still like the natural look better.

Old Dog new Cans

Beautiful work. Those drums look fabulous. I would leave the bass drum hoops natural. To me it gives them a custom look. If you do black I would use inlays but I still like the natural look better.

The hoops you see on the bass are new. I still have the originals to restore. So in the end, he'll be able to choose! But yeah, the naturals look awesome in my eyes. A nice offset for sure with the darker blue pearl wrap.

Sweet ! Would love to hear them. I think Premier made some truly fantastic drums, at all levels, in the 80s and 90s, but have never heard vintage Premier drums.

If he ever gigs them, I'll do my best to get a recording. He won't even appease his bandmates and practice on them (too much dirt in the band room maybe?, lol). He'll never let them get funky again.