Finally Finished: Vintage Premier '54 with mods

Old Dog new Cans

So, I will preface this thread by saying, this kit started as a classic 20/12/14, with a 14x4 piccolo. At the age of 9 or 10, my buddy talked his parents into adding another tom (a 13" yamaha stage custom). This modification happened around 1980, so let's leave it there, 40 years ago. . .Yes, he regrets it. But, now he has another great gigable 5 piece kit!

First just a couple before pics. These drums sat in garage for about 30 years. The heat and humidity effected ALL of the wrap.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

wait...what year are those?

is that new wrap, or did you clean the hell out of the old wrap? I love the color!

Old Dog new Cans

wait...what year are those?

is that new wrap, or did you clean the hell out of the old wrap? I love the color!
ALL NEW WRAP. These were built between 65-69. They are a '54 model. I cleaned the hell out of all the hardware for sure, lol.
Only the 12" tom is a pre-international. The Yamaha is still blue under the wrap.

Old Dog new Cans

Was the chrome rusty or just dusty?
Didn't mean to rhyme that.
I'm a poet and I didn't know it.
?
There is still a handful of rust, mostly on the bass drum claws and T-rods. The hoops were all in good shape, except for the bass drum hoops and the Yamaha hoops (they were all replaced with new hoops). If tension rods were rusty, they ended up on the bottom, or in the case of the bass--on bottom and batter side.

Beautiful work! I love seeing vintage gear brought back to life!

:)

Thank you Mr. Wolf I truly enjoyed the work. I also learned a TON about how Premier's drums are put together obviously. The snare was a PAIN IN THE BUTT! Wow, I hate that snare mechanism.

I did make a rookie mistake with the wrap. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt me. I FORGOT to move the seams under lugs or hardware. But, these WILL NOT end up in a garage for 30 years again.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

ALL NEW WRAP. These were built between 65-69. They are a '54 model. I cleaned the hell out of all the hardware for sure, lol.
Only the 12" tom is a pre-international. The Yamaha is still blue under the wrap.

I didn't realize Premiers went all the way back to the 50's...

IBitePrettyHard

Fantastic job on the restoration, the kit looks almost new! I bet your hands are happy to get a break from all that elbow grease.

After I restored my Ludwig Vistalites, my hands were sore from scrubbing lugs and rims and tension rods and acrylic shells. It was a solid 20 hours of work over a few days.

That feeling of accomplishment is great isn't it?

SomeBadDrummer

WOW you obviously put TON of blood sweat and tears into this kit! I’ve never restored a kit so I can only imagine what you have put into it, but man it looks beautiful and you should be proud of the results. Fabulous job!

Auspicious

It's absolutely awesome Old Dog, that blue finish, A1. And the white wood bass drum hoops, they go along well with the blue finish.

You can buy wrap like that at a music store?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Looks great.

Did you strip the old wrap off, or wrap over it?

That 13" Yamaha tom looks like it might be a Tour Custom.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

Nice restoration. I'm heading in that direction myself. Just haven't committed to veneer or wrap. And before that I need to find some cash flow. Such is life. Nice job!

Yamaha Rider

Love Premier stuff, love pearl wraps and love blues.
Can't help think those wood hoops stick out a bit tho... Beige and blue is a bit of a clash in my eyes.
Would black lacquer on them fit better?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I think the maple hoops and the blue look great together...but I have seen that combo many times before, so I am used to it.