FINALLY finished the TAMA

Concrete Pete

Hey crew,

I FINALLY finished putting together the Tama Rockstar set I got for WAY cheap a while ago--I was waiting on getting the bass-to-tom hardware to complete it. YES, the b-t-t hardware is NOT tama, but after very careful templating, boring, and fitting, it's complete.

I played the kit for the 1st time tonight, and it sounded so true and mellow that it actually made me misty-eyed. Never had a Tama before, but I'm stuck on this set now.

I have a mere 9 hours in the assembly, fabrication, polishing, and completion of this kit--WELL worth it!

Enjoy the pics:

BTW, the final cost for this kit was: I MADE around $166.00 off all the other stuff after piecing this together--BETTER than FREE!

Rock Forever,
C. P.

Attachments

BassDriver

Silver Member
How is the sound on that thing?

I would think that the power tom size wouldn't be desirable for optimum tom angle comfortability.

jer

Silver Member
The toms actually look (from the pics, anyways) more shallow than my early 90's Rockstars, mine are the DX's, so maybe the smaller lugs are just messing with my perspective.

Nice work Pete! I tell ya, every time I see your work it encourages me to put some time into the spare drums / parts I've got hanging around here.

Keep it up!

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Thanks for the kudos!

I played it last night for the 1st time, and it sounded so sweet, it damn near brought tears to my eyes!

Now I have to figure out what to do with my OTHER 2 kits, (other than stick them in my living room!) so I can move both my Harleys back in the garage!

BTW--I just made another $80 off selling some more hoops, lugs, hardware, etc., off the "scavenger kit, so I'm WAY ahead of the game!

Merry Christmas to all,
C. P.

Concrete Pete

Now I'm TORN

Hey Crew,

I've really fallen in love with the Tama Rockstar kit lately--the sound is SO incredible, and I'm going to bring it to my New Year's gig, leaving my other set (9 piece) at home.

Now the dilemma- I sent pics of it to my bro Kinney in L.A., and he said it looks exactly like his 1st kit he bought in 1983. He's driving up to Sacramento (90 miles south of me) in February, and said he'd give me $950 cash for the kit- without the throne, cymbal stands, cymbals, etc. I told him "I'd think about it". He's VERY persistent, and says he wants that kit, no matter what!

I have about $110 dollars invested in it, but it sounds so much better than my other kit(s), that I'm at an impasse. I DO need the room in my house and garage for my Harleys, and my other drums, but man......this kit is special. The OTHER impasse is that I want to keep my big kit for bigger venues, as it is a pretty big kit, plays well, and we all know that having a big kit for a rock gig is impressive to the audience. (sounds cocky, but it's true!)

What would you do in my shoes?

Cheers,
C. P.

Migaluch

Why dont you sell the larger kit and add on to the Tama Rockstar set to create one ULTRA SIZED SET!!!!

I have a Rockstar set, with huge rack toms and an epically large bass drum, so i have to deal with positioning stress. Other than that, I am proud to own a set that seems to be so revered!

Once i get new drum heads, how well can I get it to sound with good tuning?

Epically is a word!!!!!!!

P.S. My Rockstar is also white, why does everyone have white?

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

Hey Migaluch,

I think I'm gonna keep both kits--one has to enjoy diversity, ya know?

Put quality heads on that Tama, my friend--will make a world of difference, and then enjoy the quality sounds that the Tama set produces.

Yeah, white drum kits..... i dunno why, but I think a lot of folks like darker colors--maybe because they don't show scratches and dings as much? Hey, if you want to sell me YOUR white Tama set so I can make another "garage monster" set that's all Tama, let me know!

Just for the record, my work truck and motorhome are white, my Jeep and both my Harleys are black, guess I'm colorblind, huh?!?!?!

Cheers,
C. P.