Finally Built a 16x16 Bass Drum - Need Tuning & Muffling Advice

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey guys, so I finally converted my 16x16 Pearl Export floor tom into a kick drum.

I have a Clear Emperor Bass Drum head on the batter side and a Coated Ambassador on the reso side.

I'm wondering what you can suggest for tuning. I was messing around with it yesterday, and it either sounds cranked and boomy or flat and dead. And it lies more in how sensitive the batter side tuning is. If I get it all just tight enough, it sounds too tight. But if I loosen each tension rod by even a quarter turn, the whole head becomes far too loose.

Should I put a towel in there? I think a pillow may be too much, but a towel just to take up some space and lightly touch the two heads..

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

whoreian

yea put some muffling on that if not it'll resonate in a way that makes it not sound like a bass drum. with smaller bass drums,obv higher tunings work as for whether the batter should be higher etc thats for you to find out.typically the batter should be a little higher than the resonant head.to get more attack and to sound less boomy.

Garvin

Pioneer Member
Cut a hole in front. Use something small for muffling. Tune it all the way down on both sides. Give it a good round of turns on the reso, then bring the batter up by ear until you find where it sounds right. You might wanna try a different batter head (something a little thicker) or run a piece of felt across the batter side. That's what I've done with 16" floortom conversions and that is usually where the problem lies.

Good luck, and have fun!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Maybe it's just the two of us, But i have a 18 x 16 bass drum converted from tom and the tuning range isnt much.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yeah before you go buying heads try a 2" or so wide felt strip placed somewhere around the bottom 2/3'rds of the head on the batter and see how that sounds. If not right try adding a strip to the reso.

Don't forget you can't judge the sound of the drum from behind the kit you need to stand out front and hear it to truly know what it sounds like.

BGH

Gold Member
Did you replace the triple flanged hoops with wood hoops? If you didn't, and you still have the triple flanged, you should be using a tom head rather than an actual BD head. Could that be the issue?

?uesto

Silver Member
Yep. I used and Aquarian Performance II. A Pinstripe works ok too. The felt strip muffle might help. Thing is, its s smaller drum, and you can't expect much "kick" out of it.
Come to think of it, that may be a great idea. Possibly a Super Kick II. My uncle has an old Evans Hydraulic on his 16x16 kick. I'll definitely try something thicker (so long as the felt idea doesn't work, since that's cheaper).

Maybe it's just the two of us, But i have a 18 x 16 bass drum converted from tom and the tuning range isnt much.

What kind of drum is it?

Yeah before you go buying heads try a 2" or so wide felt strip placed somewhere around the bottom 2/3'rds of the head on the batter and see how that sounds. If not right try adding a strip to the reso.

Don't forget you can't judge the sound of the drum from behind the kit you need to stand out front and hear it to truly know what it sounds like.
I'll be trying this tomorrow. Gotta grab some felt strips from the shop. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

Did you replace the triple flanged hoops with wood hoops? If you didn't, and you still have the triple flanged, you should be using a tom head rather than an actual BD head. Could that be the issue?
Yessir. (Not wood hoops) but I've got two steel bass drum hoops on it. See picture.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
PS3 coated batter and Fiberskyn Diplomat weight reso with a felt across about 1/3 for dampening.
I use this combo on my Sonor Safari bass. I use a 3 1/2 inch port.
I found that the 16 inch bass was just to hard to control the beater bounce without a small port.

vyacheslav

I have a 16" x 16" with wood hoops. It's a Groove Percussion Travel Kit that Sam Ash offered from 2003 to 2005. It's basically a generic version of the Yamaha Manu Katche Hipgig Kit (same sizes). I added the aftermarket wood hoops. Surprisingly great sounding drums!

Anyway, I use a Remo Coated Powerstroke 4 (2 ply) on the batter, and a Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 (1 ply) on the Front. They are just regular tom heads. Played wide open, no hole, with just the pre-muffled heads. I love this combination! Fat, low and punchy, with just the right amount of ring. Not too dead, not too ringy. The tuning range of these heads is also very wide. I can get anywhere from a "Bill Stewart" high pitched ping, to a low and thuddy rock sound. Very versatile head combo. Even guitar players like it! Ha ha!

in33b3ats

I just finished my 16" x 16" Pearl Export Floor tom to Kick drum conversion. I used the pearl jungle conversion kit, a clear powerstroke 3 batter and a fiberskyn 3 FA powerstroke 3 resonant. In order to achieve the punchy boom sound that I wanted, I keep the batter very low and the reso cranked a bit high. This causes for a very low boom from the batter, and a quick, punchy return from the reso. Its the sound I like and I think it's what you're going for. The muffling was really tricky. In fact, I spent about an hour and a half working on it to get it right, experimenting with different combinations of felt and masking tape. I'm pretty sure the masking tape isn't going to last really long, but its what I had around. I started by putting only a couple pieces of 1"x1.5" felt with masking tape on the batter, slowly adding more, then added two to the reso, and finally throwing a towel against the batter. I tried just a towel touching both heads with no felt, a towel with different felt combinations on the batter and all sorts of stuff. Eventually, I hit the drum and heard the sound I wanted. I learned that you can't be too set on a technique that you've used before, because all drums are different. Don't leave anything off of the table, and try to think of nothing but the sound. I really thought I would be using next to no muffling on account of using two powerstroke 3 heads, but I was way off!

**I tried to post pics here, but they were too big and didn't feel like converting them. Instead, check them out here: http://allatseamusic.blogspot.com/

Last edited: