Finally a great throne that doesn’t weigh a ton !!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

all I care about is butt comfort for long gigs...right now, I am in the seat for 4 hours at a time, and my 30 year old Roc-N-Soc bike seat throne is just not cutting it anymore...I don't care about the weight....

is it comfy?

Justinhub2003

Man my biggest complaint with my DW 9000 Airlift throne was the weight and the footprint.

I do love the kind of bounce it gives. Ultimately I use my roc n soc more now.

Will give these a look.

Ryan Culberson

My throne now weighs as much as like my entire hardware rig thanks to the crosstown stuff - it's also the most essential piece as I'm a pretty heavy dude and I need it to be rock solid and comfy for long gigs.

I hope Yamaha comes out with a cross town base that be added to something like a Motion-pro throne: that's actually going to be my next purchase...my roc'n'soc hasn't felt great lately and I'm wondering if that's simply because of age - I've had it for a longgggg time.

EDIT:

I just google OP's throne: that sucker ain't cheap, I was going to pick one up just to try but it's $200 haha. I'd love to try it out first!
You won’t regret the Motion Pro. Best piece of equipment I’ve EVER purchased. Independent suspension for each arse cheek and the split seat design takes all pressure off the tailbone. I have two... one stays at the shed and the other is in the hardware bag. MVP piece of equipment right there.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's crazy!
When I think back at my attitude of "I must have a proper throne", I may have been somewhat incorrect. The cheap hardware store work stool on four legs, didn't swivel, was much lighter than any throne. It wasn't a stand that was trying to support the heaviest piece of the drum kit on a single pole with legs. And as I recall, that thing lasted for decades - it's still in use at my mom's old house. Since I've gotten into the habit of carrying the throne separate from the rest of the hardware, why does it have to be a throne? I may be on the lookout for a wooden stool if I can find one at the height I like. Heck, paint it black and you wouldn't even know what it was.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
4 legs is not as good if you are playing on an uneven surface . I had one and hugged it for a few years . It became my practice throne and ai went with a three legged stand .
Funny because I have the exact opposite experience where four legs improves the throne-side feel to bumpy/wonky/split stage floor. Maybe depends on the flooring issue.

iCe

I'm somewhat hesitant to have such a gas lifted throne. Afraid that after a while it malfunctions and you're catapulted up or down midway through a song haha.
Think i need to replace my trusty Worldmax throne after roughly 18 years of service. Is starting to wobble and my back really hurt after last rehearsal, so i think it's time to get a new throne. Haven't decided which one though.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When I think back at my attitude of "I must have a proper throne", I may have been somewhat incorrect. The cheap hardware store work stool on four legs, didn't swivel, was much lighter than any throne. It wasn't a stand that was trying to support the heaviest piece of the drum kit on a single pole with legs. And as I recall, that thing lasted for decades - it's still in use at my mom's old house. Since I've gotten into the habit of carrying the throne separate from the rest of the hardware, why does it have to be a throne? I may be on the lookout for a wooden stool if I can find one at the height I like. Heck, paint it black and you wouldn't even know what it was.
It's really not a bad idea. Why do we need a folding piece of heavy steel to sit on? Been sitting on wood chairs forever, and they last forever too if taken care of. I'm starting to like this idea.

NouveauCliche

I'm somewhat hesitant to have such a gas lifted throne. Afraid that after a while it malfunctions and you're catapulted up or down midway through a song haha.
Think i need to replace my trusty Worldmax throne after roughly 18 years of service. Is starting to wobble and my back really hurt after last rehearsal, so i think it's time to get a new throne. Haven't decided which one though.

Gas thrones have been around forever - I've had two Roc'n'Soc with gas and I used each one daily for nearly 15 years before moving on to another version of the same thing and I only moved on because it felt like the padding was worn down, not the gas.

What I like about a good hydro is that it moves with you just a little - kind of like a shock absorbed. Big fan.

It's really not a bad idea. Why do we need a folding piece of heavy steel to sit on? Been sitting on wood chairs forever, and they last forever too if taken care of. I'm starting to like this idea.
lol - if you can make it through a long gig on a little wooden disc, more power to you.

I need all the support and comfort I can get. (also I can't think of a single plain wooden chair that I've owned as an adult...every thing I own has padding haha)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Mr Polack if you are buttocks deprived now just wait a few years. When my wife met me I was a runner so muscular and bottom half of me was beefy at time. Now I’m considering coveralls cause I have no bottom to hold up my pants- I look like a plumber half the time. It’s become an issue I can’t sit in a tree for long periods and I just have to have a good butt cushion. good drum seat. My legs fall asleep in poor seating cause got no padding to protect those nerves. Hey maybe I’ll take my Pearl bass pillow - it’s like two lil pillows with a flexible hinge (the crack) to bend to stuff down my pants ROFL. Getting old sucks BTW though better than alternative.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Mr Polack if you are buttocks deprived now just wait a few years. When my wife met me I was a runner so muscular and bottom half of me was beefy at time. Now I’m considering coveralls cause I have no bottom to hold up my pants- I look like a plumber half the time. It’s become an issue I can’t sit in a tree for long periods and I just have to have a good butt cushion. good drum seat. My legs fall asleep in poor seating cause got no padding to protect those nerves. Hey maybe I’ll take my Pearl bass pillow - it’s like two lil pillows with a flexible hinge (the crack) to bend to stuff down my pants ROFL. Getting old sucks BTW though better than alternative.
Wonderful. I already have a hard time sitting on hard surfaces for very long. And I have the droopy pants issue already. A belt is mandatory. Maybe those padded butt panties for women to "improve" their posterior, maybe they come in men's sizes lol.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I found a similar wood stool I used to have on Amazon thats 18” tall. I measured my throne and found that from 1979 to now, I’ve only grown enough to raise it 2”! It’d be interesting to see if 18” would feel too low..... And it was only $25

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well one day, when we are all melded with technology like a cyborg, we will Have special upgrades where our stool spindle and legs telescope out our rear end- a bionic butt stool. Drum sticks pop out our wrist like Spider-Man. Metronome chip in brain. Etc.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm a big dude, and I'm pretty sure if that thing saw me coming, it would crumple out of fear. I'll stick with my Pork Pie thrones for now, but thanks for sharing. I'm sure something like that will work for your average drummer.