Fill in "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.

Hi,

There is this one fill in "Space Oddity" by David Bowie that I'm not so sure about. It is the fill going into the first chorus. The fill only has 3 beats to it, but the song is in 4/4 time. Does the fill start on beat 2 of that measure, or is the measure in 3, or something else? There is no measure of rest at the end of the measure, so after the last beat of the fill, it goes back to beat 1. Any comments would be good. Thanks.

opentune

Platinum Member
might help to put up a u-tube of the song and highlight the time (i.e. 1:15) where you referring.

MisterZero

You mean the fill at 1:04? The drummer hits a tom, then another, then a small roll? It has more than 3 beats to it. It's tough to nail down exaclty where the beats are. This may be better off learning thru "feel" rather than counting.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've always wondered if that fill was where the tape was cut and spliced, and the engineer didn't quite line it up right.

It just sounds so unintentional.

I recall an interview with one of Eric Clapton's drummers, I think it was Jamie Oldaker, who said one of the fills on an Eric Clapton record was never played that way, it was the result of the engineering splicing two different takes mid-fill together. Every time I hear Space Oddity, I wonder if that is the same kind of thing.

opentune

Platinum Member
I've always wondered if that fill was where the tape was cut and spliced, and the engineer didn't quite line it up right.

It just sounds so unintentional.

I recall an interview with one of Eric Clapton's drummers, I think it was Jamie Oldaker, who said one of the fills on an Eric Clapton record was never played that way, it was the result of the engineering splicing two different takes mid-fill together. Every time I hear Space Oddity, I wonder if that is the same kind of thing.
Good thought. And of course that kinda thing will drive cover drummers nuts!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It's right in time and I don't detect any edits. In fact, the drummer is clicking his hat to mark time through the transition, just listen for that. You'll find that the first tom hit is on one. If you're counting a slow 4 (with the backbeat on 2 & 4) it's a 1-bar fill. If you're counting double time, it's a 2-bar fill.

Once you hear it, it's not such a mystery.

Bermuda

Last edited:

Three

Bermuda's got it.

If you're counting a slow 4 (those hi hat clicks being thought of as 8ths), then the first tom is on is on 1, the first rack tom on the "and of 2."

This isn't quite the correct orchestration around the toms but the tab below shows the rhythm in relation to the pulse/count.
Hope it's of some help and I apologise greatly for the fact that it's tab and not proper notation :)

T1|o - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
T2|- - - - - - o - - - - - - - - - |
FT|- - - - - - - - - o o - o - oooo|
__|1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |