Fielding opinions / recommendations for new "last kit"

Super Phil

I think Taye StudioMaple fulfills all your requirements. They have a 22x16 kick, 2 toms mounted on the bass drum (with the nifty Slide-Track mounting system), versatility to go 3 up and 2 down (or 1 up and 2 down, etc, whatever you want) It also comes with a hidden gem of a stock snare drum.
Taye also has a wide variety of fantastic-sounding snare drums if you're looking for something different from the stock StudioMaple snare.
I switched from Tama Star Classic maples to the Taye kit 2 1/2 years ago...and 250-ish performances later I still haven't looked back.

steverok

Silver Member
A little update : I did go try some Classic Maples at a local store today. I got to tune the 13x9 and 16x16 toms. They sounded really good. It seems to me the 16x16 likes to be tuned higher than where I tune that size with the drums I own. The 13x9 sounded like King Kong when I tuned it up. It did seem to lose a little when I mounted it via the Atlas mount, but sometimes I can't really trust my own ears. I think I want to try the Legacy Maples before I pull the trigger. My understanding is the LMs may be a little smoother and warmer sounding, but I imagine I can achieve that on the CMs with heads.

To tide me over, after the Cubs' World Series Championship (it still blows me away to utter such a thing), I ended up buying this really awesome Sabian Artisan 22" Light Ride. While I got a really good price on it, it's still, easily, the most expensive cymbal I have ever owned. What a sweet thing it is. Opens up new doors for me. Could even influence what drums I get.

steadypocket

Gold Member
A little update : I did go try some Classic Maples at a local store today. I got to tune the 13x9 and 16x16 toms. They sounded really good. It seems to me the 16x16 likes to be tuned higher than where I tune that size with the drums I own. The 13x9 sounded like King Kong when I tuned it up. It did seem to lose a little when I mounted it via the Atlas mount, but sometimes I can't really trust my own ears. I think I want to try the Legacy Maples before I pull the trigger. My understanding is the LMs may be a little smoother and warmer sounding, but I imagine I can achieve that on the CMs with heads.

To tide me over, after the Cubs' World Series Championship (it still blows me away to utter such a thing), I ended up buying this really awesome Sabian Artisan 22" Light Ride. While I got a really good price on it, it's still, easily, the most expensive cymbal I have ever owned. What a sweet thing it is. Opens up new doors for me. Could even influence what drums I get.
First of all, congrats on the Cubbies championship. Savor it. I have a full set of Artisans. My favorite cymbals bar none. My only regret is that I own the medium Artisan ride instead of the light ride. The medium is suited to hard rock and reminds me of the Paiste sig dry heavy ride I once owned. Doesn't pair well with my other more musical, complex sounding Artisans, but I digress.

Sounds like you're looking for a set of drums that will keep you happy and inspired through the years. You'd be remiss if you didn't explore Guru, if your budget allows. They don't currently build maple drums like your op stated you desired, but there are several species that can cover that sound palette. I have one of those "once in a lifetime" kits inbound to me, if the DHL Customs mafia ever releases it to me.

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I was hesitant about starting a thread like this, as I could see myself getting confused, ....

....The first one on my radar has been the Ludwig Classic Maples....

Regards,
Steve

Hey Steve - if you take everything to heart that's proposed in this thread,
you'll probably get really confused the longer it goes on - LOL

I say get those Classic Maples and live with them for a while, to see if they really are your 'last kit'.

Steve,

Congrats on your Cubs! I own a black galaxy sparkle Ludwig Classic Maple that's about 2 years old now. 18x22, 14x16, 9x12 & 8x10. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I also have a new black gold duco Ludwig Club Date 14x22, 16x16 & 9x13. I special ordered my classic Maple kit with the atlas mounts on all of the toms & set up is very easy and stable. After playing my 14x22 club date bass, I wish now that I would've ordered a 16 or 14x22 bass. I'm sure that the maple/poplar shell configuration has a lot to do with the warmth and low end but to my ears it's the perfect bass drum sound. Low, punchy and nice sustain. The 18x22 is also nice, I have an Aquarian superkick 2, regulator combo on it with no muffling and the sound is easily the best I've ever owned. The classic maple drums are very versatile, I've had single ply coated, clear & coated double ply & all of them tuned up easily with a wide tuning range. The drums don't choke at higher ranges or sound papery at lower tuning. If you choose a classic maple kit you shouldn't be disappointed. If you're able to, check out a 14x16 floor tom. Imho they have a wider tuning range & are more responsive to dynamics.
I've owned numerous Pearl kits, MLX, MRX & MCX, Tama starclassic maple, 60's & 70's Slingerland's and the Ludwig's are by far my favorites.