Female drummers?

Hey, yeah the Japan trip was amazing.. I spent 3 months there overall and did a fair bit of travelling around. No videos I'm afraid Keep It Simple. Mark I don't think it's affected my kit playing really.. I was just intrigued to learn about a different style of drumming. The technique is quite different - the sticks are much thicker and most of the power comes from the arm. It's kind of like a work out really, playing the drums with your full arm is quite hard after a while... for the first few sessions the skin was actually getting ripped from various parts of my hands. Ok - I agree that's not the most feminine thing in the world :)

But it got easier and was great fun. There are loads of other types of music there too so I got straight onto the jazz and blues scenes and did a lot of playing with new people. If you have any questions about going over feel free to PM and I'll answer what I can.

Caroline

Hey, yeah the Japan trip was amazing.. I spent 3 months there overall and did a fair bit of travelling around. No videos I'm afraid Keep It Simple. Mark I don't think it's affected my kit playing really.. I was just intrigued to learn about a different style of drumming. The technique is quite different - the sticks are much thicker and most of the power comes from the arm. It's kind of like a work out really, playing the drums with your full arm is quite hard after a while... for the first few sessions the skin was actually getting ripped from various parts of my hands. Ok - I agree that's not the most feminine thing in the world :)

But it got easier and was great fun. There are loads of other types of music there too so I got straight onto the jazz and blues scenes and did a lot of playing with new people. If you have any questions about going over feel free to PM and I'll answer what I can.

Caroline

Thanks Caz will do. It'll be at least another year or so, but after that I'm hoping to travel about quiet a bit. Just getting out of Leicester would be a good start! The music scene here is not all that great.

Hey everyone,

The name is Chloe and I'm, well....34. I've just picked up drumming recently. Pretty late to drumming but it's something I've always wanted to do. *I am putting a tick to one of my 2012 resolutions.*

Drumming is relatively not that popular for ladies for where I come from. Misconception that ladies should stick to instruments like piano, violin etc. you get my hint. But hey I'm proud of choosing it.

Hope I'll be able to pick up some handy tips from the drummers here. :)

I am a girl drummer too. I find that it brings positive and negative reactions. When people first realize I play drums the general reaction is that I get laughed at (sometimes aloud in my face) sniggers, surprised, shocked, doubts and THOSE questions

"really??"
"can you properly play"
"are you any good?"
"can you honestly play a song?

Some even go as far as not believing me at all. Although I do find that this comes mostly from people that are not into music/instruments whatsoever and have zero knowledge on drumming. However my 'musician' friends (other drummers, people in bands) are pleasantly surprised and are nothing but encouraging, offer to teach me, give me tips and some even keenly ask me to join their band. I've also had men admitting to me that they are shocked and surprised when they have see me play for the fact that i'm a girl.

do any other female drummers on here get the same responses?

To be honest I totally don't have the time or inclination for that sexism crap. If I bumped into you somewhere and you said you were a drummer I'd say well holy crap, so am I, so let's talk drums. Hell you're probably better than I am so I'd be asking YOU for tips.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. We have quite a few female members here and if you'll forgive the expression, you're just one of the guys now. Cheers!

Reactions: iCe
Sex is irrelevant. Having said that many of the girls I know have a better sense of rhythm than your average bloke, thus being a lady could well be an advantage.

I too am a woman and have been playing for over 16 years now. I've always had positive reactions from people, but maybe that's because I can actually play **brushes off shoulders**

Most women I've met in the drumming world are classical percussionists (mallet players, etc.), but I've met a couple set players too.

The bonus is usually when I walk into Guitar Center the guys working there think it's pretty cool and occasionally give me random free things :)

The bonus is usually when I walk into Guitar Center the guys working there think it's pretty cool and occasionally give me random free things :)

Kinda funny semi-related. So I'm a dude, I go to guitar center to buy a new front head. There's a woman who helped me (and I'm sure most people know, at GC, generally women tend to be relegated to the front door person, most of the actual salespeople tend to be men) and she ended up porting my front head for me with some tools she had. Completely effortless, and was an amazing job. No one else has EVER done that for me, and everytime I try it, it looks like shit.

200th post.

Man, imagine a female and male drummer banging. The neighbors on the other side might tap their foot to the rythmn instead of complain.

I don't know what the problem is with some people and their comments and remarks towards female drummers.
I have been playing drums for 33 years. I am also a man. I transitioned to female about 6 years ago. Can anyone see where I am going with this?
The point is, there are plenty of female drummers out there that haven't been playing half as long as me but they are so much better than me. Just because they're female doesn't mean they're not good.

Keep drumming my adopted sisters.

I have been playing drums for 33 years. I am also a man. I transitioned to female about 6 years ago. Can anyone see where I am going with this?

Yup. Saw a similar ordeal in the Mapex->Gretsch conversion thread last week. Large transitions like that are often a quantum leap in terms of perspective. You'll find that fanatics cannot change their mind, nor the subject.

Reactions: iCe
Yup. Saw a similar ordeal in the Mapex->Gretsch conversion thread last week. Large transitions like that are often a quantum leap in terms of perspective. You'll find that fanatics cannot change their mind, nor the subject.

I didn't see that post. Could you post a link to the thread for me.

Not only am I a proud female drummer...but I am one who became one at 39. Mid-life crisis? Perhaps.

What happened two years after I took up and maintained regularly scheduled lessons at a local store? I got a job there as a sales associate.

What am I going to do with the drum skills I have learned? Not sure yet.

To be honest I totally don't have the time or inclination for that sexism crap. If I bumped into you somewhere and you said you were a drummer I'd say well holy crap, so am I, so let's talk drums. Hell you're probably better than I am so I'd be asking YOU for tips.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. We have quite a few female members here and if you'll forgive the expression, you're just one of the guys now. Cheers!

I think i couldn't have said it any better!

You know you're a drummer when you look at the hi-hat and the crash first, then the snare and then notice it's Marilyn Monroe :ROFLMAO:

If you don't already know them, check out the Iron Maidens! The singer has a great voice and still she sings very much like Bruce, bit still retains her own raw voice when she sings (by lack of better words)

The only thing that really bothers me is that the singer never changes the words...they are all EXACT. Seems a little weird to me, like if a guy were to sing Heart tunes verbatim.

Not sure what you mean with that? That she doesn't improvise? My LZ knowledge is limited to a couple of songs, so the rest of their catalog is unknown to me haha

My Hats are Off to to all Drummers, but especially the Female Drummers. If you the wish to see one that creates her own covers on Youtube, checkout Sina Drums. A 20 year old, cutie pie from Austria (I Think), plays wonderfully and plays old Rock tune covers : Journey, Beatles (she tips her cap to Ringo) , The Who, Dire Straights, etc.....

Not sure what you mean with that?

I'm not speaking for him, but I assume that he means that when the gender is switched regarding vocalists, the gender isn't switched regarding the lyrics.
But I think Zep's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" would sound odd if the genders were switch in the lyrics, but would certainly imply lesbianism if not (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm not speaking for him, but I assume that he means that when the gender is switched regarding vocalists, the gender isn't switched regarding the lyrics.
But I think Zep's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" would sound odd if the genders were switch in the lyrics, but would certainly imply lesbianism if not (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Oh yeah that makes sense haha. Sometimes i get confused when that happens and turns our it's a cover. Which i don't mind, i barely listen to lyrics and much more to the 'wholeness' of a song and try listen to what is happening on all the instruments and let it all soak in.

When i was a kid my dad got a cd "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin" with cover songs. Kate Bush sings Rocket Man and i couldn't understand why she was a rocket man. Years later i discovered the concept of cover songs and that that song was a cover hahah

Back