FEMALE DRUMMERS: YOUR FAVES & WHY?

s1212z

I remember seeing Cindy Blackman in 97' with Ravi Coltrane. I think it was only a few days or couple weeks or so after Tony passed and she was still playing Sonor back then. I just remember being fixated on her ride technique and hand positions and then going home and trying to emulate. It was a great performance. Then I got her again may ~12 years ago with Jack Bruce, John Medeski and Vernon Reid doing an Emergency! tribute....even better than I remember and engulfed in taking the chances I remember Tony doing, was so great to see. I remember Sheila E's clinic with her brother and had great showmanship, stole the show for entertainment factor and played awesome too.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I remember seeing Cindy Blackman in 97' with Ravi Coltrane. I think it was only a few days or couple weeks or so after Tony passed and she was still playing Sonor back then. I just remember being fixated on her ride technique and hand positions and then going home and trying to emulate. It was a great performance. Then I got her again may ~12 years ago with Jack Bruce, John Medeski and Vernon Reid doing an Emergency! tribute....even better than I remember and engulfed in taking the chances I remember Tony doing, was so great to see. I remember Sheila E's clinic with her brother and had great showmanship, stole the show for entertainment factor and played awesome too.

I did the exact same thing after seeing the "Are You Gonna Go My WAy" video!!! Weird!

and then 20 something years later, did it with Anika Nilles' bass foot and hands as well....

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Everybody wants to be special now, but doesnt want to be singled out. How does that even work?

I'm honestly surprised we can even still use the word female because it has the word male in it.

I shall now identify as velociraptor. Its non gender specific. But dont say velociraptor drummer, as it implies not all velociraptors are as good of drummers as non velociraptors.

Why don't we have a "Your Favorite LGBTQ Drummer?" thread?

If all drummers are human, and all humans are male or female, then all drummers are male or female. It's that simple, we dont need to draw lines.

The above are all thoughts that enter my head everytime I see the word female or girl in the thread title.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It is a minefield. But you know what? It has to be talked about, so some mental legs may get blown off. I know that my wife's approach to life is literally and perfectly 180 degrees opposed to how I look at life. Which is great, I'm glad it's that way.

Drives me nuts sometimes but it turns out that males desperately need the female perspective. IMO, females don't need the male perspective as much as males need the female perspective, because females are generally constructive where males are generally destructive by comparison. But females benefit from the male perspective just like vice versa. We are bookends, and we look at things from different perspectives. It's supposed to be that way. I don't know why that upsets people. It's just the way it is, why fight it?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That nerve being the assumption that women can't be logical. My wife has fought that her entire professional career, as has my sister. It's nonsense and when it's stated it raises the ire of every strong and independent woman I know because it's simply not true.
Can't count the number of crybaby guys that I've worked with that couldn't follow a line of logic if you gave them a map and highlighted the route, but boy do they act out like emotional children when you challenge them.
Can't be logical and not being logical are not the same thing. Logic does not always work, just like emotions don't always work for a given situation.

Hey there's going to be different opinions, and I'm not giving up what is true in my life to spare someone else's feelings because it's not PC.

Whoever gets butt hurt, it's their issue.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

It is a minefield. But you know what? It has to be talked about, so some mental legs may get blown off. I know that my wife's approach to life is literally and perfectly 180 degrees opposed to how I look at life. Which is great, I'm glad it's that way.

Drives me nuts sometimes but it turns out that males desperately need the female perspective. IMO, females don't need the male perspective as much as males need the female perspective, because females are generally constructive where males are generally destructive by comparison. But females benefit from the male perspective just like vice versa. We are bookends, and we look at things from different perspectives. It's supposed to be that way. I don't know why that upsets people. It's just the way it is, why fight it?

I wonder if this whole movement to deny description is rooted deeper in the fear of dealing with touchy subjects...wanting to avoid the
"work" of dealing with uncomfortable/difficult subjects...like a psychological defense. Rather than embracing and celebrating difference and limitation...and accepting that it is a thing, we stick out heads in the sand, get rid of pronouns and run from it, thinking that it will be gone when we do...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

Because it's a sticking point that isnt necessary. You didnt have to clarify that your wife is female, it's a given.

I see nothing wrong with celebrating your favorite drummers, regardless of anything. But once we add a qualification to the word drummer, that becomes a point of discrimination, regardless of good or bad.

We dont qualify with age, race, religion, hair length, number of arms, or anything else when celebrating drummers. Why is gender the exception?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Let's all wear 2 piece bikinis while playing anime death metal double bass!
Two piece is implied, why must you qualify it? It's a bikini, of course its 2 pieces.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wonder if this whole movement to deny description is rooted deeper in the fear of dealing with touchy subjects...wanting to avoid the
"work" of dealing with uncomfortable/difficult subjects...like a psychological defense. Rather than embracing and celebrating difference and limitation...and accepting that it is a thing, we stick out heads in the sand, get rid of pronouns and run from it, thinking that it will be gone when we do...
I think so. Avoidance is easier. People more often than not, do what's easiest. Which is the very worst approach for certain human issues.

I kind of like touchy subjects. OMG it's only words, what's the worst that can happen? Don't answer that haha. Being easily offended...I wouldn't want to be the type of person that's easily offended. Life is hard enough without having to get past my own mental obstacles I'm constructing on purpose.

Discussing touchy subjects is a great opportunity for growth. Assuming the participants can keep their emotions at bay and approach it...wait for it...logically. In this matter.

It's also the most wonderful opportunity to stick my head in sand, and put up my defenses, discussing delicate subjects...totally my choice.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I don't hold to the idea of "touchy" subjects because that implies some form of censorship maybe afoot. I think the only way to bring things out of the darkness is by shining light on it. Everybody is unique-no matter gender, etc. We are biological entities and some things are just factual-we develop sexually under control of our sex chromosomes (there are sex chromosome abnormalities and just development anomalies from some teratogens too so even that not straightforward), and different levels of hormones and then throughout our life cycle different hormones and what not activate different pathways-we also develop socially and introspectively our gender or gender roles (both susceptible to different cancers or health ailments by gender. Stereotyping is an inane effort to create categorizes often when there isn't one (we do it with "race"). The sex chromosome are interesting because women inherit two X sex chromosomes but only one is active-so one is turned off and condenses to be inactive-known histologically as a Barr body I can see in your neutrophils in a blood stain. It does so randomly so women are a chimera of different X gene alleles being expressed in different tissues. But there is the preponderance of normal development and then the exceptions to the rules-that are no less for being different.
Well anyways back to categories. We've done that with "race" which now is recognized purely as an ignorant social construct (having nothing to do with skin tone or anything else) and scientist want to change nomenclature to ethnicity/ancestry because that reflects our bag of genes and global travel. There are systemic issues I see we can address-forms always ask race and sex. I don't really see the need for a job application if candidate meets the needs. Even medically what you identify with may have nothing to do with reality. You may identify as white or black and turns out you either have little African ancestry as self-identified "black" or significant African and identify as "white" (the 23andMe US regional study found that. They found 2% of initial group Identified as "black" but had less than 1% African ancestry so they dropped them from study. The same for gender if you had androgen insensitivity or Swyer syndrome (I think that's the common name-46 chromosome dysgenesis something or other-crap memory).
Anyways both cases male but generally don't develop normally so usually raised female-and yes women have discovered years later they are actually genetically male but have always thought female (never diagnosed). We are all unique. Biologically there is a long record of research looking at differences between groups in intelligence, etc-and for many years that was jaded research dominated by the idea that European ancestry males superior in everything it seemed. Funny how that bias was even present in their research outcomes "we see" now because they got the outcome they believed to be true. That isn't good science-or even science. I actually see that happening now politically exploiting science for points. Dang one step forward one back it seems.

Anyways ascribing a gender to a drummer could be treacherous because that might not be the gender they ascribe. It reminds me of interviewing for a Post-doc I knew the prof and he had lost his wife. I was waiting in his office for him to return and notice a pic of an young attractive female I assume to be one of his daughters. I was planning on asking him about his daughters-I remember when his wife died he had 2 or 3 daughters. Well in our conversation he turns to pic and points out this is his wife. Hot dang saved by the bell-I was just fixing to mention how beautiful his daughter has grown up to be. One of my first cousins was male for decades-married and raised two sons but now is totally female. She is a lawyer. That was a touchy family topic but I got on my soap box with family encouraging acceptance-they were all trying to find which side of family to blame for it. "Didn't their great uncle on his father's side wear dresses-OMG it got crazy. I don't know I guess I've always thought I was on the AB side of normal -ABnormal LOL. So perhaps that why I can relate or feel the need to defend LOL. But it isn't Abnormal just different-which we are different anyways so a distinction of no distinction.

s1212z

Two piece is implied, why must you qualify it? It's a bikini, of course its 2 pieces.

Feel free to search the internet for male bikini options to educate yourself otherwise. :sneaky:

AYEON has well over a 1 million subscribers and 80/20 drummer has like 80k but no one seems to like him. Nonetheless, tough to compete with that YT traffic

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Crap that was a long diatribe-dammit this short concise stuff is going to take me a bit. I made an attempt at paragraphs so I get brownie points for that. It was so long a ramble I think I forgot to make a cogent point. Except we are all different-Viva la Difference. That's the short version I guess.

s1212z

I was being sarcastic.
As was I, no harm intended 🙃

To you point, music itself is a great equalizer. Listen to record and either a cat can play or not and that is all that matters. There so many immensely talent female musicians; Hiromi, Esperanza Spalding, Tal Wilkinson just to name a few...I don't know what I kind of stone age we live in that we need to overstate this fact. But getting more more people involved in drumming is a good thing and if this type of attention is an inspiration for younger girls to start playing, than so be it. However the YT world seems to think differently, internet says you need to be 3 y/o asian female to have a successful drum career nowadays. I don't think this is necessarily healthy long-term these aspiring drummers, I wonder how their careers will pan out. Buddy never looked back on the prodigy days fondly, that is for sure.

K Chez

Tit tops sure make the recording sound better! If that's your move to be "unique", then sorry that's a fail in my book. Being noticed because your half naked playing the drums isn't the same as being respected because your a solid drummer. Falling back on sexuality to get noticed is lowest common denominator mentality.

toddmc

Gold Member
It was only a matter of time before Ayeon et. al. made an appearance.
Thread lock in 3...2...1...