Felt strip on Ludwig Coated 22" Bass Drum Head?

AModestRat

Thinking about ordering some felt to put on the front of my Element Birch 22" kick. I have a coated powerstroke 3 on the batter, with a coated Ludwig bass drum head on the front. For those that have used this combination before, how does felt on the reso/batter compare to stuffing a pillow/blanket in there? I currently have my bass tuned to a nice pitch, but it does sound somewhat "boing-y" and I'd like to have more of a thump than boing (if that makes any sense).

opentune

Platinum Member
I'm big fan of felt strip on single ply front reso. It works very well, wit PS3 batter.

I might also suggest you need not 'order' any, just go down to your local craft store who sell felt for crafts. You can buy a life supply of white felt for cheaper, and cut your own strips to desired size.

F

funkutron

Thinking about ordering some felt to put on the front of my Element Birch 22" kick. I have a coated powerstroke 3 on the batter, with a coated Ludwig bass drum head on the front. For those that have used this combination before, how does felt on the reso/batter compare to stuffing a pillow/blanket in there? I currently have my bass tuned to a nice pitch, but it does sound somewhat "boing-y" and I'd like to have more of a thump than boing (if that makes any sense).
In the sixties, we used to take a white bedsheet (get Mummy's permission first, LOL!) and take the front head off and stretch the sheet over the drum, and then put the head back on, and trim around the sheet so it doesn't show, and tighten everything back up. It gives you a nice "thud".....but now we usually have ports, I don't know how that would work out...

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Second on the buying the felt from a crafts store. You could probably get a lifetime supply for the same price as "drum" felt. Ace bandage will also work. In my experience the felt can be be placed in many positions around the reso head, and once you find your sweet spot it will not move like a normal pillow, not a specialty muffling pillow/device, can.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I love the felt strip for a bass drum. I was on a kick a while back where I wanted a "modern" sound for my 20" Rogers bass drum so I could use it in all types of musical scenarios. I ended up buying a clear EMAD because I couldn't find a coated one.

I get it tuned up and sounding how I want and it sounds just like the ambassador with a felt strip.

Also, craft store is the place to go for felt. Buy a yard or two of felt and it will last you forever.

AModestRat

Thanks for the replies guys, another question though. Have any of y'all tried felt on toms? I'll go pick up some felt and try it out today

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Have any of y'all tried felt on toms?
It sounds like dirt, way too muffled. Might work in a studio situation but not practical in a live setting.

Another benefit of the craft store felt strip is that you can cut a wider strip for larger bass drums. I use maybe a 2.5" strip for my 24" bass drum and an 1.5" for the 20" bass drum.

BarrenSavant

Do you have a PS3 style ring around your resonant head? Perhaps cut that off and then apply a felt strip. It won't dampen as much as a full ring and will give you more thump. I would even do the same for the batter side, but that's just me. I think that an Ambassador + felt strip combo on a batter side sounds way better than a PS3. The tuning range is wider, the drum is louder, and it punches in a harder, in your gut way.

M

Matt Bo Eder

It's a different sound compared to a front head with a port and material in the drum. It depends on what you're going for.

I currently have a PS3 clear batter on my bass drum, and a coated PS3 full res on the front, and I like the sound. A good thud, and enough ring to project. A lot of people don't realize that you need some ring in there so the drum still sounds like a drum 10 feet away where the audience is. If you're miking up all the time, that's one thing.

If you can try it, get two felt strips, put one on the front head, and go get a regular ol' coated Ambassador for your batter side and put a felt strip on that one. It will sound totally ugly to you, but in the audience it sounds really good when the band plays. You just have to experiment. Right now, using a PS3 batter seems to be the thing to do these days, but 20 years ago you didn't have the easy option.

mikyok

Platinum Member
It's a different sound compared to a front head with a port and material in the drum. It depends on what you're going for.

I currently have a PS3 clear batter on my bass drum, and a coated PS3 full res on the front, and I like the sound. A good thud, and enough ring to project. A lot of people don't realize that you need some ring in there so the drum still sounds like a drum 10 feet away where the audience is. If you're miking up all the time, that's one thing.

If you can try it, get two felt strips, put one on the front head, and go get a regular ol' coated Ambassador for your batter side and put a felt strip on that one. It will sound totally ugly to you, but in the audience it sounds really good when the band plays. You just have to experiment. Right now, using a PS3 batter seems to be the thing to do these days, but 20 years ago you didn't have the easy option.
Spot on sir.

I'm running a few variants of this at the moment. I'm using a coated emp with felt as a batter with a fiberskyn powerstroke as resonant on the 60s 22x14 luddy and it sounds massive. The PS reso makes it easier to mic the bass drum.

I'm experimenting with a Clear CS batter (No felt) batter and a Coated Attack Bozzio 1ply reso with felt on my late 70s/early 80s 24x16 Luddy. If I use my Camco pedal with a pearl 4 way beater (felt side) it gives it attack and boom.

Beater type will also effect the sound.

Another trick for a great bass drum sound which I had on my old 26x20 richmo was smooth amb with felt (reso) and a coated emp with the Simon Phillips rolled up towel on the batter.