Feet doubles on a single pedal, in "in-between speeds"...

Yzak

Hi everybody!

At first I want to say that I'm sorry in advance if this topic has been brought up before (which I'm pretty sure it has), but I couldn't find a topic which catered specifically to the query I have in mind.

Thing is I'm having a major problem with my single pedal doubles, the 16 note doubles that is. In lower BPMs, such as up to maybe around 100, I have no problems what so ever throwing those 16ths in there. And when I get to 125-130 and up, I mostly stick to the slide technique which enables me to do fluid doubles all the way up to the regions of 170-180 at the present. However when it comes to the in-between parts, specifically 105-115, I'm having some kind of major roadblock. We have some new songs which (in)conveniently are positioned in these BPMs (110 and 113 respectively) and in them I'm having problems keeping my doubles fluid. Either they come out forced or just sort of come out "untight". My theory here is that the BPM is too high here for me to simply play it relaxed, and too low for the slide technique to work as it should for me.

What I'm looking for is any possible tips for these ranges of BPM. I've seen some people write before that there are some BPMs which are a bit harder than others due to the fact that they are so "in the middle" that they are too fast in order to play it like you'd play it when it's slower, and too slow to play it fast. Now I feel I'm repeating myself but I hope you guys understand my problem.

What I've been trying to do is adjust the slide technique for slower tempos as well as been trying to work my way up from the slower BPMs where I have no problems. A theory of mine is that these BPMs are getting even harder now due to me thinking about 'em too much (when you think too much you can't relax and all that).

So long story short, any tips on what I can do here, and have you been through something similar? For the moment I'm actually rewriting my drumtracks for these songs due to me feeling uncomfortable with the 16ths. It's actually kinda rewarding because I am now exploring alternate ways to approaching these songs, but still, I'd like to master these tempos too for the feeling of being allround (which is my ultimate goal as a drummer).

Thanks on beforehand. :)

joeysnare

Silver Member
perhaps try just doing a constant stream of 16th notes so you can get the feel and spacing correct then just nix out a few strokes till your doing a constant stream of doubles. that seemed to help me when i was learning to do triplets.
hope this helps :)

I have a similar problem. The problem really is that I've only been doing heel up for about a year (out of ten years). Kick myself (or my teacher) for never showing me heel up until now.

We have a new song that has a drum part very similar to Stockholm Syndrome by Muse in the chorus. I see Dom Howard doing the eighths (or quarters, I forget) on his single bass drum with ease but I struggle like anything to maintain the tempo. It's like I can't control it and must either go way slower or just max out the speed to be able to do constant bass drum hits. My technique is mostly okay but I believe it's that I haven't practice enough or ironed out the problems. But it's very frustrating. It's like a balancing game which I fail at everytime.

intheruff

Hey Nick, it's easy! You can do it without a problem at 100, right? Soooooo, just crank up your metronome by ONE beat a day for a few weeks... my math equates this to 121 bpm after three weeks. Everyday play the groove of your new song at a slowed down pace (ya' only need the music in your head to play to it... right?) where you can snag those doubles. I'd advise to play those grooves for about five minutes at a time, doing it a few times a day like when you first get up, when you get home, and right before bed. If ya' feel like you're hitting a wall and no longer improving, then take a day off and the following day my money bets you slam it! Hope this helps...

Dedworx

i dont know about 1 bpm a day. i think thats a little too thinned out for someone who can already play fast and slow and has recognised a bpm range that needs attention.

if 105 to 115 is your weak range set the bpm at 105 and play short 16th note phrases that use a lot of bass drum doubles for several minutes per idea you want to work on. then up it to 110 and do the same, then up it to 115 and do the same.

as 16th notes, you could play 8th notes on the hi hat over the top of:
b b s - its a group of three so it repeats over the bar but its great for building your foot.

also any combination of 2 bass 2 snare in groups of 4. so:
b b s s
s b b s
s s b b
b s s b

you can practise those as linear ideas aswell, bass drum between snare or any drum.

when you already have the range you have i think its better to cover a wider range of bpm's than just sitting on one per practise, time permitting ofcourse.

using odd groupings of 5 and 7 that repeat against a simple cymbal pattern are great aswell, but what i suggested above is a good start.

intheruff

"i dont know about 1 bpm a day. i think thats a little too thinned out for someone who can already play fast and slow and has recognised a bpm range that needs attention."

I sorta' agree... but that's the point. I've done this one beat business before when the technique I was trying to learn seemed impossible. At only one beat a day I found that the difference was unnoteable (sorry, pun intended) and within a short period of time I had the beat. Usually, after a few days, I'd could accelerate the process as the learning curve steepened. But, we all discover on our own varying ways to surpass certain difficulties that impede our growth, and this has worked for me. To clarify, I'm NOT an instructor.