Feeling like a showoff

alparrott

Platinum Member
I play an original version (late 90's) Yamaha Stage Custom kit. I get plenty of comments about the drumming, and nobody ever walks up to me later to say, "Why don't you have a nicer kit?" In fact, a few people have assumed it was a high-end kit, and unless I choose to tell them differently (I don't always), they'd probably go right on assuming it.

I agree with other posters here, though: You're going to get much more flack for not being able to play well than for the drums you cart in. Although if you have a huge drumkit, you'd best be able to drive it!

TWerner

The guitarist I jam with plays a $6,000 Scott Walker guitar that was originally built for Warren Haynes through a $10,000 Two Rock amp while I play along with my re-wrapped orphan drumset. The toms cost me $60 and the bass drum was $50 before refurbishing. I got that bass drum to sound amazing - with a little help. Nobody seems to mind because I got them tuned really nice and the toms have a good vintage sound, or at least I've convinced them of this. I haven't heard nothing but good remarks about my set.
I've only seen Warren play on Gibsons, but I can totally see him goofing on a Scott Walker guitar. Warren is a great player. I met him a few times at shows years back because my cousin is a friend of his and has played in his band. Warren played my strat when he was at my cousin's home years ago. Said it was nice, although I'm sure the strings were too light. It's a beautiful strat, but we both know Warren would sound better playing a first act electric from toys r us than most of us would sound on his les pauls, and only a guitar player would actually be checking out the guitars he plays during a show. I think only a drummer would notice the original poster's set.

That said, I suspect what dwforever is trying to describe isn't really that feels like he's showing off. I think is it's more the worry that others will think he doesn't deserve such a nice kit.

Thing is, DW, that kit is one of your prized possessions. The only people who might have a thought that you don't deserve your drums or are showing off, are the petty folks who would never feel they were showing off if those were their drums. Those guys probably make up 1 in 20,000 of the people who hear you play. 99 of those 20,000 know your drums are nice and think they're cool. The other 19,000 listeners would be happy for you if they understood you have a work of art for a drum kit, and that playing on it makes you happy. I wouldn't worry about that .005% !

Kudzu Monroe

Got a buddy that plays his famous "South Park" kit (not a matching piece in it) it gets a lot of comments,
he is a very animated lively player and the audience likes him.

The kit only gets attention because its so unusual ...

lsits

Gold Member
Well, my "high-end" kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch but you can bet that if I had a set of Recording Customs or Maple Custom Absolutes I would be gigging with them. They are both above my "pay grade".

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've only seen Warren play on Gibsons, but I can totally see him goofing on a Scott Walker guitar. Warren is a great player. I met him a few times at shows years back because my cousin is a friend of his and has played in his band. Warren played my strat when he was at my cousin's home years ago. Said it was nice, although I'm sure the strings were too light. It's a beautiful strat, but we both know Warren would sound better playing a first act electric from toys r us than most of us would sound on his les pauls, and only a guitar player would actually be checking out the guitars he plays during a show. I think only a drummer would notice the original poster's set.

That said, I suspect what dwforever is trying to describe isn't really that feels like he's showing off. I think is it's more the worry that others will think he doesn't deserve such a nice kit.

Thing is, DW, that kit is one of your prized possessions. The only people who might have a thought that you don't deserve your drums or are showing off, are the petty folks who would never feel they were showing off if those were their drums. Those guys probably make up 1 in 20,000 of the people who hear you play. 99 of those 20,000 know your drums are nice and think they're cool. The other 19,000 listeners would be happy for you if they understood you have a work of art for a drum kit, and that playing on it makes you happy. I wouldn't worry about that .005% !
My guitar playing bandmate is friends with Scott Walker so I'm just going off what he says. I don't have any reason not to believe him. They sure are beautiful guitars. i played his guitar once and it was hands down the most incredible feeling guitar I've ever noodled around on. Playing bar chords was like cutting through soft butter. And the amp was made by the Two Rock guys themselves, that's why it is worth so much. One of the other guitarists has a Scott Walker guitar too.

I think he's just showing off though. hehehe.

Last edited:

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Anybody else feel really awkward and shameful when they gig with their high-end kits? It just makes me feel like such a showoff and I dont want to present myself like that as a drummer.
Concerning yourself over nothing.

The only thing that would irritate me as a spectator would be seeing someone who is incompetent drumming on a £5k kit...that would bug me....but not to the extent that I would remember it bugging me 10 minutes later.

Think yourself lucky would be my advice mate...not everyone can afford even modest equipment. I'm getting by on a kit which was under £300 in total to put together...<£100 for the kit itself....£100 for cymbals.....and £100 for hardware....

My own fault.....but hell it doesn't half remind you to value stuff and you can be darned sure that when (if) my works bonus comes through in March that the first motherfking place I'll be visiting is Manchester Drum Centre.....

Otto

Platinum Member
..hmm.."showing off"...strange idea...as thats what performance is...seems pride is the main negative of the term...

At what point does confidence change into showing off?(that is, where pride becomes a negative...when it becomes comparative?)

Tukaduem

i wouldn't feel good about paying for a good kit and not bringing it to the gigs. seems a waste....

the reason we buy this stuff is so we can express the sound we hear in our heads, why only use in the practice room? this stuff was meant to be played

JoeLackey

Not necessarily. Don't try to show off with it. Just get up there, play the instrument and get off. Doing this just shows that you aren't trying to be cocky, but rather you know your products, and respect them.

opentune

Platinum Member
Anybody else feel really awkward and shameful when they gig with their high-end kits? It just makes me feel like such a showoff and I dont want to present myself like that as a drummer.
Ok, but you are showing off if you bring a cape. No just kidding.
Really, as PFOG says "just play yer drums man".
Nobody in the audience is noticing your brand names etc. They want the sound. Be yourself, feel the music and the sound, instead of any image.