Feeling exhausted when drumming..

This does not sound normal at all. You need to see a doctor.

I don't know if it is the carpal tunnel syndrome since sometimes I felt pain of my hands after practicing for a long time in early years, but I left it alone.. and it became fine after few days.. I don't know if it is the impact of the carpal tunnel syndrome..

C.M. Jones

I don't know if it is the carpal tunnel syndrome since sometimes I felt pain of my hands after practicing for a long time in early years, but I left it alone.. and it became fine after few days.. I don't know if it is the impact of the carpal tunnel syndrome..
Carpal tunnel syndrome shouldn't have an impact on leg strength or the speed with which you learn new material. Please consult a physician. It's impossible for drummers to diagnose your symptoms in an online context. Only consultation with a medical expert will provide enlightenment.

beatdat

You're only 30 years old. Nothing you wrote sounds like normal aging. So, like others have suggested, go see a doctor. STAT.

But it could be a lifestyle thing. How's your diet? Do you exercise? How about proper sleeping habits?

And what about your drum technique? Did you have a teacher or are you self-taught?

You're only 30 years old. Nothing you wrote sounds like normal aging. So, like others have suggested, go see a doctor. STAT.

But it could be a lifestyle thing. How's your diet? Do you exercise? How about proper sleeping habits?

And what about your drum technique? Did you have a teacher or are you self-taught?
I have a normal diet and exercise twice a week. I also sleep 5 to 6 hours a day. I feel relaxed when playing normally. I self-taught in early years but I have a drum teacher now.

I think it's maybe about aging problem.. since I rarely take a dayoff in 15 years of practice, and the repeated movement of wrists for hours a day may make my hands much weaker after years..

Last edited:

beatdat

I have a normal diet and exercise twice a week. I also sleep 5 to 6 hours a day.
5 to 6 hours of sleep is not a lot. Most people need more, but some don't. How do you feel the rest of the day when you're not drumming?

I think it's maybe about aging problem.. since I rarely take a dayoff in 15 years of practice, and the repeated movement of wrists for hours a day may make my hands much weaker after years..
Normal ageing should not affect your drumming. My teacher is in his 60s, and still shreds a few hours a day. I'm sure several members on here still do, too.

If it's not health or sleep related, you may have developed some bad habits in your playing over the years, which has resulted in the pain and the problems you have described. Have your teacher look at your technique; if they know what they're doing, they should be able to spot any problems rather quickly.

But go see a doctor first. Get that out of the way before you consider anything else.

Could you take a video of your playing? Carpel tunnel and leg fatigue might be a technique issue. When you're young your body can handle punishment it gets way harder as you age.

MntnMan62

I have a normal diet and exercise twice a week. I also sleep 5 to 6 hours a day. I feel relaxed when playing normally. I self-taught in early years but I have a drum teacher now.

As has been said, 5 to 6 hours is not a lot. You are young at 30 years old. When I was your age I could literally do anything I wanted, even on little sleep. And practicing 3 hours a day is not all that much either. There are people who practice far more than that everyday. I'm not a doctor, but at 57 I've seen a lot. And your issues are not age related. And they are not related to fatigue from over practicing. Vinnie Colaiuta (hopefully you know who he is) is rumored to have practiced 12 hours a day. Even if that isn't true, I wouldn't doubt that he practiced in the neighborhood of 7 to 9 hours a day. Go see a doctor. You aren't medically trained. Think about it. You're asking a medical question to a bunch of drummers on an internet forum. GO SEE A DOCTOR PRONTO.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Maybe because I am a skinny and weak person, so the aging problem becomes serious to me after years of practice...
Nope, not that either. I'm tall, skinny, and 44. After 15 years your body should have developed the necessary muscles required for drumming. Like the others said, go see a doctor. Your health should not be an online guessing game.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
See a doctor.

Too many ossible things here.

5-6- hours of sleep isn't much.

Normal diet? That could be a lot of things. What most people would refer to as a normal diet is pretty much a recipe for insulin reistance and needing half a gallon of coffee just to get up in the morning and function throughout the day. Combined, those are a recipe for burnout and that may take a while to hit, but when it does it really does.

mrjones

I have been playing drums since 15. I have played for 15 years. I practice for around 3 hours everyday. However, I started losing hand and leg strength few years ago.

I feel that my wrists and ankles do not have the strength as before and become exhausted easily. Sometimes, I can't even play a down stroke cause my wrists feel so weak.

This bothers me because I can't play the speed and loud touch that I could play before. This also affects my consistency, timing and coordination. I also learn things much slower than I used to. Do you experience the same problem? Is it about aging? If so, how do you get through this? Thanks.
You should have your testosterone checked.it effects mood , stamina,sex drive . anything good about you it effects