Feeling Beat Up After Playing..Anyone Else Get This?

TomasHakkesBrain

I recently started to get muscle strains (and have started to put on a lot of muscle) after a 3 hour drumming session all over e.g. back, thighs, neck. I do full warm ups upper and lower body and dont exert too much aggression and my technique is good. Ive never felt many pains at all before. Anyone else get this?

I recently started to get muscle strains (and have started to put on a lot of muscle) after a 3 hour drumming session all over e.g. back, thighs, neck. I do full warm ups upper and lower body and dont exert too much aggression and my technique is good. Ive never felt many pains at all before. Anyone else get this?

The holy trinity. Stretch, warm up, and hydrate. Leveraging those three things, you should be an aspirin away from feeling normal again. If not, consult a doctor (Both a GP and a Sports Med).

Does your throne have a backrest?

One or two sets. No. Three or four sets.......yeah, next day I feel it. What can I say, I'm old.

Diet can also be a factor.

Everyone is different, but in general, better eating leads to feeling less beat up afterwards.

Try Magnesium ( a decent brand thats in Chelate form)...good for muscle cramps. Take it daily not like a painkiller)

I agree with KamaK and DED - stretching, warming up, and staying hydrated during a long gig are crucial, and being mindful of diet and what/when you eat before a gig are very helpful too. I used to do power shakes with bananas (potassium) and protein about 45 minutes before leaving for the gig, then hydrated throughout with water or 1/3 Gatorade/water mix. I might have one beer the whole evening, depending on hydration levels.

Back