Feel of a new pedal

Nilsdrums

Hi!

I just got a new Iron Cobra double pedal after playing on a cheap budget pedal for quite some time. It's really smooth but feels a little weird to me when playing certain things. I recently started playing with the ankle technique but struggle a little with it on this new pedal. But I have only played on it for like 2 hours this far so maybe I just need to get used to a new pedal which might take a few days? Also I haven't touched the settings yet and think I might have had more spring tension on my last pedal som changing this might help? Is it worth giving it a shot or should i try to return it/sell it and buy another pedal, like a Pearl Eliminator for example?

Is the cam the same? A round cam (rolling glide) will feel different than an accelerator cam (power glide). They have different profiles, and feel vastly different. A round cam feels the same all the way through the stroke. An accelerator type cam is egg shaped, and feels heavy at first. Once it gets past the profile change, the pedal gets "lighter" feeling.

Is the cam the same? A round cam (rolling glide) will feel different than an accelerator cam (power glide). They have different profiles, and feel vastly different. A round cam feels the same all the way through the stroke. An accelerator type cam is egg shaped, and feels heavy at first. Once it gets past the profile change, the pedal gets "lighter" feeling.
I have a Iron Cobra Power glide and i think the cam on the last one is pretty similar. It might be a little different but I'm pretty sure they are both of the accelerator/ offset cam type

I have only played on it for like 2 hours this far so maybe I just need to get used to a new pedal which might take a few days? Also I haven't touched the settings yet and think I might have had more spring tension on my last pedal som changing this might help? Is it worth giving it a shot or should i try to return it/sell it and buy another pedal, like a Pearl Eliminator for example?

Play with the settings. Returning it without trying to make adjustments is a mistake. That may not be the pedal for you, but you’ll never know if you don’t make adjustments. I was in your boat at one time with brand new ICs after using old pedals for a few years. After I messed around with the settings I loved them. Ended up using them for 15 years. If you’re not familiar with how things like spring tension and beater angle effect the feel, there are lots of videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
That you used your previous pedal "for quite some time" is revealing. Any change will be noticeable if it deviates from your imprint of muscle memory. Give the new pedal a few weeks of break-in. You might end up liking it more than your previous one.

Play with the settings. Returning it without trying to make adjustments is a mistake. That may not be the pedal for you, but you’ll never know if you don’t make adjustments. I was in your boat at one time with brand new ICs after using old pedals for a few years. After I messed around with the settings I loved them. Ended up using them for 15 years. If you’re not familiar with how things like spring tension and beater angle effect the feel, there are lots of videos on YouTube.
Actually now after another practice session of a few hours I actually start to get into it! It feels amazing when playing my regular technique(Heel up leg motion) so probably the reason my ankle technique feels so weird after this change is cause it's such a new technique for me. Probably will be better in a few more sessions. I will probably not bother to change the settings now:)

Back