Favourite Drummer, Bass player Combo

Wow, unless I overlooked something, I'm surprised no one mentioned Bernard Purdie and Chuck Rainey. They really hook up on that Aretha Franklin album "Live At The Filmore West" I mention these guys because although a lot of guys have recomended some great Jazz guys which I love, but you said you were checking out Flea and Chad so in that vein but more Funk/R and B and less Rock, these guys on that record are the shit.. Ray Charles is also on that recording plus King Kurtis.. They cover "Love The One Your With" and there is this Break that Purdie does that is soooo bad ass and then Rainey kicks it in and it's ridiculous..Hope you check it out and like it..

Wow, am I the first to say it: Ringo and McCartney! No joke, that instantly popped into my head when I read the topic. So many great feels. A lot of variety, too.

Not that I'm opinionated, BUT... NO NO NO... ya'll got it way wrong! Garabaldi/Rocko without comparison. TOP
MAN, I gotta agree man, they got that THANG goin' on there.

The Porcaro Brothers from Toto were monsters!! Mike Porcaro, is Toto's bass player and the late great Jeff Porcaro was the drummer. Even another Porcaro brother, Steve plays keyboards . . . ALL of them MONSTERS on their respective instruments.

RIP Jeff!!

Wow, am I the first to say it: Ringo and McCartney! No joke, that instantly popped into my head when I read the topic. So many great feels. A lot of variety, too.

Wow,

Matty. Good one there!

I believe you are the 1st.

Maybe we should all have these cats on our lists, huh? ;-)

Certainly not saying any "best evers" or even really personal favorites, but Ahmir Thompson and Leonard Hubbard of The Roots have some really tight moments.

Oteil Burbridge and Butch Trucks, from the current Allman Brothers Band.

Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones
Richard Davis and Roy Haynes
Charlie Haden and Ed Blackwell
Ron Carter and Tony Williams
Charles Mingus and Dannie Richmond
Drew Gress and Nasheet Waits
Mario Pavone and Mike Sarin
William Parker and Hamid Drake

I nominate this list. Britt, if you don't have it, get the Thomas Chapin box set (unless you have all the discs individually).

I will add:

John Edwards/Mark Sanders
John Edwards/Eddie Prevost
Paul Rogers/Tony Levin
Michael Formanek/Jim Black
Reggie Workman/Elvin or Tony

Well...

I believe Mike Portnoy and John Myung deserve mentioning.

;-)

+ :
Charlie Watts ~ Bill Wyman / The Rolling Stones.

Alex Van Halen ~ Michael Anthony / Van Halen.

Nicko McBrain ~ Steve Harris / Iron Maiden.

Scott Travis ~ Ian Hill / Judas Priest.

Phil Rudd ~ Cliff Williams, AC/DC.

Nick Mason ~ Roger Waters, Pink Floyd.

Lars Ulrich ~ Rob Trujillo / Cliff Burton, Metallica.

Brian Downey ~ Phillip Lynnot, Thin Lizzy...

Eh...

I like these two combos a bit more...

Clive Burr and Steve Harris

&

Les Binks and Ian Hill

;-)

Eh...

I like these two combos a bit more...

Clive Burr and Steve Harris

&

Les Binks and Ian Hill

;-)

I tend to agree. For the first time, another DW colleague (You, in this case) says that likes Les Binks, He did an outstanding drum-work on Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather, albums. Songs such as: Rock Forever, Green Manalishi With The Two Pronged Crown, Saints In Hell, White Heat/Red Hot, Heroes End, Beyond The Realms Of Death, Better By You Better Than Me.

Regarding, Clive Burr I love his drumming on Killers and The Number Of The Beast: Wrathchild, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Genghis Khan, Invader, The Prisoner, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Gangland, Run To The Hills...

By the way, Thanks a lot! I got inspired, due to you...

I tend to agree. For the first time, another DW colleague (You, in this case) says that likes Les Binks, He did an outstanding drum-work on Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather, albums. Songs such as: Rock Forever, Green Manalishi With The Two Pronged Crown, Saints In Hell, White Heat/Red Hot, Heroes End, Beyond The Realms Of Death, Better By You Better Than Me.

Regarding, Clive Burr I love his drumming on Killers and The Number Of The Beast: Wrathchild, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Genghis Khan, Invader, The Prisoner, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Gangland, Run To The Hills...

By the way, Thanks a lot! I got inspired, due to you...

Wow!

Thanks, iw.

I appreciate that.Glad I could do that for ya! ;-)

Hope it can continue.

Oh...

And you certainly can't forget Les Binks' monster drumming on Priest's "Unleashed in the East".

Love his drumming on that one!

Peace

Wow!

Thanks, iw.

I appreciate that.Glad I could do that for ya! ;-)

Hope it can continue.

Oh...

And you certainly can't forget Les Binks' monster drumming on Priest's "Unleashed in the East".

Love his drumming on that one!

Peace

Let us enjoy the pictures!!!! Peace & Prosperity always....

Thanks & Regards,

Attachments

• les binks.jpg
    les binks.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 422
  • juds2.jpg
    juds2.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 403
  • judas1.jpg
    judas1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 402
  • judas.jpg
    judas.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 407
Well...

I believe Mike Portnoy and John Myung deserve mentioning.

;-)

Ya think? LOL. Yea, good call. I am not a 'passionate' Dream Theater fan (a little too key-boardy at times for me), but those boys can sure play. Portnoy is a beast.

Oh wait, don't forget Nicko Mcbrain and Steve Harris from Iron Maiden

Back