Favorite/Least Favorite Finishes

Piano Black and Clear, worst ever.

Best, Favorite...there are many

I like natural wood the best, but do like some champaigne sparkle, and ludwig blacky oyster and other pearl wraps. But natural wood is #1.

These are two of my favorites right now
My least favorite has to be that Pearl kit for the Super Bowl....simply awful

Attachments

• 71fb387f-ab10-4029-b2f8-a1970119294f_677x449.jpg
    71fb387f-ab10-4029-b2f8-a1970119294f_677x449.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 11,329
  • SonorProlite01.jpg
    SonorProlite01.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3,147
Color really doesn't matter much. I just need to see the wood grain.

Favourites are :
Gretsch Espresso Burst wrap
Gretsch Caribbean Blue lacquer
Gretsch Dark Walnut Lacquer
Ludwig Birdseye Maple exotic lacquer
Yamaha Black Swirl lacquer ( Club Customs)
Yamaha Orange Swirl Lacquer

Least Favourites
Champagne sparkle
Green Sparkle
Red Sparkle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 572
These are two of my favorites right now
My least favorite has to be that Pearl kit for the Super Bowl....simply awful

I really like both if the kits you posted. I suppose Ringo's Oyster Shell kit is one of my favorites and Orange Vistalites (not sure if this counts, I guess the orange part does).

Currently my favorite finish is DW Exotic Candy Black Burst over Olive Ash Burl with black nickel hardware. Don't own them, but they sure are easy on the eyes. Close second is Matt Chamberlain's Craviotto kit in Ginger Ale Sparkle finish. Least favorite is Ludwig's Rainbow Sparkle wrap. I could grow old with any of those colors individually, but not all together.

Attachments

• DW Exotic1.png
    DW Exotic1.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 935
I absolutely loathe any burst, fade, or crap like that, probably more than the ubiquitous wine red or solid black wrap. I also personally am not a fan of drum sets looking like fine furniture, but that probably is because I gigged a ton and know that kits like that get dinged and damaged when they are actually gigged. (Having a nice kit with some exotic finish that sits in the basement makes no sense to me.)

I also hate any hardware that is painted or powder coated. Look, leave the friggin' hardware chrome and move on.

Personally I love sparkle finishes, oyster finishes, and maybe some of the strata finishes.

Last edited:
I also personally am not a fan of drum sets looking like fine furniture, but that probably is because I gigged a ton and know that kits like get dinged and damaged when they are actually gigged.
Depends on how they're finished. Thin veneer, high gloss lacquer - sure, easily damaged, & difficult to repair. A solid shell finished with wax however, is pretty resilient, & the easiest out of all finishes (including wraps) to repair. Simply get the sandpaper out, & apply another couple of wax coats - buff to finish :)

I typical have pretty simple tastes. Solid colors or simple wood finishes appeal to me. However, this set calls to me!

Least favorite is anything in mother of toilet seat and not really feeling any of the clear, acrylic sets.

And so we see why there are so many different finishes! Lots of differing opinions. I will say that I would take a set in a finish I hate if a top of the line kit were given to me!

Back