Favorite Journey Drummer?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Deen has a pretty good voice.

His feel on this is a little weird, but in general he has an old rock type of thing going on that I think fits the style really well.

Yeesh. Someone mentioned Jonathan Cain maybe having some arthritis? He looked positively somnambulant in almost every shot, which might explain why after the first five or so minutes they barely showed him anymore.

This thread is puzzling to me because my friends and I barely tolerated Journey when the band was making hits in the late 70s/early 80s ... Where we gathered in a grove of trees behind a supermarket in the Northeast to warm ourselves around a fire while we sent someone around to the front of the store to ask "Hey Mister, will you buy us a six-pack?" until someone actually did, we'd occasionally pull out a favorite Black Sabbath, Queen or Rush tape to play a side of Journey -- only because the girls present liked to sing along to the pop-vocal group's Top 40 hits... On those long-ago nights, I never would have dreamed that adult men would ever seriously discuss the musicians behind "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" and "Faithfully."

This thread is puzzling to me because my friends and I barely tolerated Journey when the band was making hits in the late 70s/early 80s ... Where we gathered in a grove of trees behind a supermarket in the Northeast to warm ourselves around a fire while we sent someone around to the front of the store to ask "Hey Mister, will you buy us a six-pack?" until someone actually did, we'd occasionally pull out a favorite Black Sabbath, Queen or Rush tape to play a side of Journey -- only because the girls present liked to sing along to the pop-vocal group's Top 40 hits... On those long-ago nights, I never would have dreamed that adult men would ever seriously discuss the musicians behind "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" and "Faithfully."
That is exactly to a T the experience I had with my friends growing up, only it was Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen we were listening to.

Al Strange

On those long-ago nights, I never would have dreamed that adult men would ever seriously discuss the musicians behind "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" and "Faithfully."
That is exactly to a T the experience I had with my friends growing up, only it was Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen we were listening to.
I don’t own a Journey album myself but I can quite happily discuss the playing prowess of their amazing drummers in all seriousness…🤔🙂👍

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

Well, this is wy for years I wouldn't admit to being a Journey fan.

And even the members of Journey get frustrated with the perception that they're that band who made those piano ballads all the girls went crazy for instead of a band who produced a wide range of music.

The band themselves started as a fusions band with a deep understanding of jazz and rock, and their early albums featuring playing a lot of notes. And while the focus on fusion faded, the jazz undertones remained in their music throughout their heyday.

Either way, the individual members are almost all highly musicians inside and outside of Journey.

Neal Schon was considered such a good guitarist both Eric Clapton and Carlos Santa invited him on the road when Neal was just 17. Though the emergence of Eddie Van Halen a few years late eclipses Neal's prominence among guitar players, he's still highly respected as a player through his numerous side projects.

Ansley Dunbar played with Frank Zappa (among others) prior to Journey and remained a highly sought-after drummer well after Journey.

Steve Smith is widely regarded as among the world's best jazz-fusion drummers. In 2001 Modern Drummer magazine named Smith one of the Top 25 Drummers of All Time. His career speaks for itself.

Original keyboardist Greg Rolie was already a rock via his time in Santana before Journey. Bassist Ross Valory came from a fusion background.

Sure, Journey got known for some cheesy songs, and Neal Schol himself admits he has problems with that perception, but their catalog as a whole has amazing musicianship and some amazing songs.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
It is something of a Ship of Theseus situation. (Yes even more so—I believe they currently have no founding members and really only one and a half long-term members..)
Neal Schon was a founding member I think?:unsure:
Al is correct. Neal Schon is a founding member. He is the ONLY original member remaining after Ross Valory was fired last year.

Though I can't argue that they have essentially become a cover band at this point. Jonathan Cain is the only other member who appeared on any of their well-known albums, and he didn't join the band until their 7th studio album. And as pointed out, his role seems to be reduced now with a 2nd person playing keyboards and doing backing vocals.

Neal Schon was a founding member I think?:unsure:
You are correct, he was indeed--I was saying the band Yes currently has no founding members, and Steve Howe is really the only long-term member. (Alan White only plays part of each show and is even newer than Howe, having been in the band for a mere...47 years.)

Al Strange

You are correct, he was indeed--I was saying the band Yes currently has no founding members, and Steve Howe is really the only long-term member. (Alan White only plays part of each show and is even newer than Howe, having been in the band for a mere...47 years.)
Oooh, the band “Yes”?! 😂 (y)

Well, this is wy for years I wouldn't admit to being a Journey fan.

And even the members of Journey get frustrated with the perception that they're that band who made those piano ballads all the girls went crazy for instead of a band who produced a wide range of music.

The band themselves started as a fusions band with a deep understanding of jazz and rock, and their early albums featuring playing a lot of notes. And while the focus on fusion faded, the jazz undertones remained in their music throughout their heyday.

Either way, the individual members are almost all highly musicians inside and outside of Journey.

Neal Schon was considered such a good guitarist both Eric Clapton and Carlos Santa invited him on the road when Neal was just 17. Though the emergence of Eddie Van Halen a few years late eclipses Neal's prominence among guitar players, he's still highly respected as a player through his numerous side projects.

Ansley Dunbar played with Frank Zappa (among others) prior to Journey and remained a highly sought-after drummer well after Journey.

Steve Smith is widely regarded as among the world's best jazz-fusion drummers. In 2001 Modern Drummer magazine named Smith one of the Top 25 Drummers of All Time. His career speaks for itself.

Original keyboardist Greg Rolie was already a rock via his time in Santana before Journey. Bassist Ross Valory came from a fusion background.

Sure, Journey got known for some cheesy songs, and Neal Schol himself admits he has problems with that perception, but their catalog as a whole has amazing musicianship and some amazing songs.

Neal Schon is better known for "The Real Housewives" than his guitar playing.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I said Neal Schon is respected as a guitar player. As a human being, or even a good person, well, that's another matter.