Favorite Journey Drummer?

Bozozoid

Being a fan of every Journey Drummer I absolutely have a favorite. I can sit and talk for hours about the virtuosity of Steve..Aynsley..Larrie and Dean. When push comes to shove I have to go with Aynsley. He's just slightly unorthodox which adds so much personality to their tunes. I'm interested in wether or not you have a slight preference. Your choice isn't anti another. It's ribeye vs new York strip vs top sirloin if I can put it that way.

Al Strange

I dined out on Aynsley Dunbar and Deen Castronovo in the 80’s/90’s, mainly on their playing with other bands. I’d say Deen has been the biggest influence on my playing so he’s kind of my favourite Journey drummer, not to mention he can even sing some of those songs whilst still playing the drums perfectly!! If we’re talking pure Journey, Aynsley set the (Dun)bar but IMO Steve Smith’s legacy cannot be denied…but wow, that band has always had a ridiculous amount of talent and virtuosity behind the kit!! :unsure: (y)

bud7h4

Silver Member
I like Deen Castronovo's style best. I don't listen to Journey but I've listened to his metal playing and he's brilliant. He and Smith both played on some of those late 80s neoclassical metal projects and Steve's playing, while excellent of course, sounded very predictable compared to the Dean's (as did every other tier one drummer contributing to those records). Castronovo was on another level.

Last edited:

spelman

Atma Anur
8919140.jpg

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Very interesting to see how Narada (king of everything) does with the Journey crew.
He's already out (?).

They brought back Deen to double drums with Narda for their Chicago and NY shows.

They just did a Vegas show with just Deen and no Narda, though Schon says Narda is still part of the band.

Source: Neal Schon's public facebook page

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Steve Smith hands down. He is one of my personal drumming gods, and late 70s/early to mid 80s Journey was a huge part of that.

Got to see Journey in like 1981 or 82. I was real young and it was magical.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Bringing back Dean to double?...thats strange.
At first, I thought so too. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/deen-castronovo-back-in-journey/

121781_0_wide_ver1627601070.jpg@642

But I suspect it has more to do with Deen's vocal abilities than Narada's drumming.

From watching a few clips here and there, it seems like Neal has almost completely stopped singing backgrounds, and Jonathan Cain sings fewer backgrounds than he used to. With backing vocals such a huge part of Journey's sound, and that Deen sounds more like Steve Perry than Seve Perry himself does these days, I assume Neal reached out to Deen to sing back ups.

Notice, Journey also has a 2nd keyboardist in the band, and well, Jonathan Cain doesn't need help playing keyboards, but the new keyboardist seems to be singing more background vocals than playing Jonathan's parts. (though in some clips, Jon seems to have a touch of arthritis, so maybe the 2nd keyboardist is playing more keys than I think).

But then this video came out yesterday, and it's just Deen on drums, no Narada. But the kicker is Deen is clearly playing Narada's drum kit.

So, go figure.

Last edited:

Jml

At first, I thought so too. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/deen-castronovo-back-in-journey/

121781_0_wide_ver1627601070.jpg@642

But I suspect it has more to do with Deen's vocal abilities than Narada's drumming.

From watching a few clips here and there, it seems like Neal has almost completely stopped singing backgrounds, and Jonathan Cain sings fewer backgrounds than he used to. With backing vocals such a huge part of Journey's sound, and that Deen sounds more like Steve Perry than Seve Perry himself does these days, I assume Neal reached out to Deen to sing back ups.

Notice, Journey also has a 2nd keyboardist in the band, and well, Jonathan Cain doesn't need help playing keyboards, but the new keyboardist seems to be singing more background vocals than playing Jonathan's parts. (though in some clips, Jon seems to have a touch of arthritis, so maybe the 2nd keyboardist is playing more keys than I think).

But then this video came out yesterday, and it's just Deen on drums, no Narada. But the kicker is Deen is clearly playing Narada's drum kit.

So, go figure.
Cover band. 😬