Favorite Hi Hats?

Wopsey

Alright well I just recently won some money playing Online Poker. As such I've got an extra $400 to spend on whatever, and I'm pretty sure I want that whatever to be a set of Hi Hats and a hi hat stand.

I recently had to sell my drum set because I moved to the city. I'm now in the process of rebuilding and want to slowly build a nice drum set.

I play a variety of music, more so leaning towards hard rock/metal. I've been browsing ebay and seen tons of different hi hats, however the pair that sticks out would have to be Zildjian K/Z set for $190 plus shipping.

What's your favorite set of hi hats/what would you recomend for my particular situation.

Wopsey

Man, you guys have gotta learn to search. How did you miss this when you went into the Cymbals forum to post? It's right under yours which means it was the first thread before you posted.

Anyways, check it out: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71564

And good win!! :)
Lol yes I literally just saw this after I finished posting, immediately regretted using the exact same thread name. Guess I shouldve made the topic title 'what should I spend $400 on' seeing as that's truly the nature of this thread.

Regardless, I apologize :( ill troll better next time haha.

Wick

I was playing some Meinl 14" Sand Hi Hats in the store the other day-very lovely.

I also like any K or K Custom, except maybe the 'High Definition' pair. I've never played them in person though, only heard sound clips.

icedgreece

Hey Whopsey.

Right now I'm currently using 14" Sabian AAX X-celerator hats. I might say, I love them. I bought them a couple months ago because Jimmy (The Rev) Sullivan used them, and he is one of the biggest inspirations for my drumming.

Here's a song I believe he used them in. All I know is mine sound identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNpy2K27PKU

If not, here's a Memphis drum video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NDqqZQ3Vk

But, as usual, the video does not do it justice. I believe they come in an 13" and 15" as well, but when I bought the 15", it was way to low of a pitch for my liking.

Anyways, best of luck man.

-Travis.

bolweevil

Alright well I just recently won some money playing Online Poker. As such I've got an extra $400 to spend on whatever, and I'm pretty sure I want that whatever to be a set of Hi Hats and a hi hat stand.

I recently had to sell my drum set because I moved to the city. I'm now in the process of rebuilding and want to slowly build a nice drum set.

I play a variety of music, more so leaning towards hard rock/metal. I've been browsing ebay and seen tons of different hi hats, however the pair that sticks out would have to be Zildjian K/Z set for $190 plus shipping.

What's your favorite set of hi hats/what would you recomend for my particular situation.
For rock and metal a K/Z combo is pretty nice...I had a set a few years back but the Z was too stiff and loud for the groups I am in. I've got a Sabian HH bright on top of a HH dark and it's the best i've played.

But for loud music a K/Z combo would do the job nicely.

loki03xlh

I have a pair of 14" Zildjian A Rock HiHats that sound good playing hard rock/metal. A friend has a pair of 13" K top/Z dyno beat that sound pretty good too, but don't cut quite as much.

Luke50001

I love my Sabian Vault Hats, I think they are great for the metal that I play. My friend owns a pair of AAX stage hats that I think are pretty good too. My hats are the only thing on my kit not Paiste, but they sound so good. If i get enough money I may get Paiste 2002 Heavy hats or some soundedges :)

rollkno

The New RollKnot!

RollKnot is a high quality designer band designed to keep your cash together! Forget the the money clip or rubber bands, our product is meant to replace these and other wallet type products. The RollKnot is made of a high quality fabric and is more durable than your standard office rubber band.

Spectron

Silver Member
Re: The New RollKnot!

RollKnot is a high quality designer band designed to keep your cash together! Forget the the money clip or rubber bands, our product is meant to replace these and other wallet type products. The RollKnot is made of a high quality fabric and is more durable than your standard office rubber band.

WTF????????????????????

BigDinSD

Gold Member
New Beats...New Beats...New Beats baby!. :)

Oh, and rollkno?, no thanks...
2nd for the NB's! Extremely versatile.
I also use the A Mastersounds, IMO, have that versatile NB tone with more volume.
Not sure, if they are both the same make-up, with the MS bottom having ripples.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Ask 100 drummers what their "favorite" hi-hat is ... and you'll probably get 60-80 different answers. What you need to do, is figure out "your" sound ...​
What I will talk about, is my basic "philosophy" ... of what a drum kit is/should be. The kit foundation is 4 voices. Kick, snare, hi-hat, ride. I have three sets of cymbals ... and within those three sets ... the hi-hat/ride are a "team".​
One team ... my Istanbul Mehmet Turk 20" ride/15" Turk hi-hats.​
Another team ... my Paiste red Colorsound 5 20" ride/14" Colorsound hats.​
My last team ... a Zildjian 18" Breakbeat ride/10" Zildjian Special Recording hats.​

Homeularis

Gold Member
I also use the A Mastersounds, IMO, have that versatile NB tone with more volume.
Yup, I'd like to get a pair of MS's too.
I wonder if the tops are pretty much the same (New Beat tops basically) because I could just buy an MS bottom and switch up when I wanted. :)

I guess I could just buy an MS bottom anyway, then it would have a different sound than both pares. :/

cobamnator

For rock / metal...

Sabian 14" AAX X-celerator Hi Hats

or

Zildjian 15" A Series New Beat Hi Hats

however, I use

13" K standard Hi hats...Best ever...But I don't really play metal though.

Homeularis

Gold Member
MS's have more volume?. Wow!, the NB's are already monsters...lol. :)

Do you find the MS's to have more "sizzle" than the NB's also?.
Thats really the only reason I would want them for a second set.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I wonder if the tops are pretty much the same (New Beat tops basically) because I could just buy an MS bottom and switch up when I wanted. :)
I always thought they were, until I picked up a set of Mastersounds a year or so ago. My MS are deifnitely heavier than my New Beats.....no weights though unfortunately and as this was determined using the age old scientific approach of holding one in each hand.....make of it what you will. :)

The MS are newer than my NB's though, so it would probably be more fair to compare cymbals of the same era....but all in all, the MS (both top and bottom) feel heavier than my NB's.

That said, if you picked up an MS bottom I believe it would take a pretty special ear to determine the diff.