Favorite head & beater for Mapex Armory

drummom

Hi,

Drum boy busted through his base drum head (and for the other drum heads as at some point those will be an issue - do you get the same brand/style or different). Clear tape and a patch are working now but I've got to replace it at some point. What is the best sounding/most reasonably priced/will last the longest as he hits hard (he's in private lessons and they are working on that)? (please be really specific or otherwise I have no clue what you are talking about).

Also, his beater on his base drum pedal is worn out. What's the best replacement? Looked online and there are tons of options.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

What brand/model is the head that he broke? The stock one? And what brand/model bass drum pedal?

For the head I personally like the Evans EQ3, Remo Powerstroke 3 is the industry standard (can't go wrong with that) and there's other variations on the Powerstroke model (I also like the Powerstroke 4). The Evans EMAD and EMAD2 are good if you want a quick pre-muffled solution. The important part of this is, to prevent another broken head, you have to use the beater impact patch on the head. The models I mentioned have the patch included. If it's installed correctly then you won't have any broken heads. For the beater I would just go with the matching one for that pedal but if you know what brand it is I can suggest a replacement.

Thanks. The heads are just the stock Mapex Armory. Haven't switched the out. They are fine but when I watch the youtube videos on the armory there seem to be better options. My son is 9 and really has no opinion. He says to ask you guys and mom always picks well. I want a good sound as I have to listen to it, long lasting. I'd say quiet but I gave up that wish a long time ago.

No idea what the beater is. Larry here kindly gave it to us. Back up plan was to bring it to the music store but their advice is not always the best.

Wow, the beater is worn out? I've never seen a worn out beater before. I'd just replace whatever the factory beater is for his pedal. Can't go wrong with a double-sided beater either and pick and choose which one you like best.

Kick drum head? Emad all the way. I switched from Remo Pinstripes to Emads years ago, and I love them. They come with a clear patch that doesn't look like it does much, but it does.

Yeah I would just get the factory beater. Do you have any muffling in the bass drum?

Well you will get a lot of different opinions on the best combinations, my preference is a simple Remo Powerstroke 3 with standard felt side of a DW beater. This for me gives the best balance of impact vs musical note vs ability to control the volume/dynamic.

I have been gigging for 35 years and have never worn out a beater - something has to be wrong with the setup or the way it is being used.

I don’t like any of the pre-muffled emad heads overly complicated and less dynamic, lots of slap but very flat sounding. The best of the pre muffled kick drum heads are Aquarian super kick. But really these all try to shape the sound too much for my tastes.

If durability is an issue, I'd go with a two-ply head AND a patch.

I've used Aquarian Super Kick 2 with great results for a long time and I use a version of that head on all of my bass drums.

Most of the time I use an Evans clear EQ patch as well. It doesn't really change the sound or feel but increases the durability quite a bit.

BD batter heads are chosen based on how they present/color a note, and not necessarily by genre or make/model.

I would recommend getting an EMAD, as they can be made to sound three distinct ways via removable foam rings.

I would recommend a felt/plastic reversible beater like the ones that come stock on a DW 5000.

The EMAD will include an adhesive strike-pad to prolong the longevity of the batter.

In addition, here is some advice on what NOT to do:

zkBMm68.jpg

Thanks all.

So, can anyone do a consensus on which head is the favorite? Remember this is a 9 year old not a professional player though he thinks he is. If he is playing seriously in 6 more years, then I'll upgrade him sets if we can afford it or needs to but he has a very nice set. :)

My husband said he needed a new beater head. It was a handy down so no clue how old. So, maybe its fine fine as my husband has less of a clue as I'm the one buying it all. Son isn't complaining but he usually doesn't complain or ask for much so I can't tell. (I tried to get son to teach me but I'm just not coordinated so I don't get how you/son all do it).

I did get a patch for the old head and taped it so its ok now but probably better to replace at some point and want to be prepared. I wish I knew sooner to get the patch.

Any other advice to maintain it/make things last longer? Been watching youtube videos so thanks to all who do them for mom's like me.

BD batter heads are chosen based on how they present/color a note, and not necessarily by genre or make/model.

I would recommend getting an EMAD, as they can be made to sound three distinct ways via removable foam rings.

I would recommend a felt/plastic reversible beater like the ones that come stock on a DW 5000.

The EMAD will include an adhesive strike-pad to prolong the longevity of the batter.

In addition, here is some advice on what NOT to do:

zkBMm68.jpg

I've got tape on it but not that... that's too funny. Kid can get a new head before I'd do that. But, we probably have the home depot paint stick somewhere.

Hi, great job Mom!!! You are an inspiration, my parents were very supportive when I was learning bass and guitar as a child. I’m 46 now and have a daughter of my own and will do the same.

I don’t think you will get consensus of which head is the best, just too many personal opinions involved. I would suggest a variant of the popular EMAD and that is the EMAD heavyweight. Link below. It is a 2 ply head that will last a very very long time and will allow you to adjust the dampening without stuffing the drum. PS adding a 5” port (hole ) to the front head will help to add muffling in the drum.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvMob...=563&productname=EMAD_Heavyweight_Bass_Batter

No muffling. Was thinking of putting a pillow or buying the pillow but too lazy to open up the drum to put one in. :)

Well you're going to be opening the drum when you replace the head so you can put a pillow or something inside if you like. I use the DW hourglass pillow and it works great. For your purposes though a regular bed pillow is fine; I like the generic brand ones from Walmart. I used EMAD family heads for 10 years before I decided I didn't really like them anymore so now I use the Powerstroke 3 or 4. For durability another head to consider is the Powerstroke 3 with the black dot. One of my pro touring friends has been using it on his current tour and he loves it, says you don't even need a beater patch with it. But if you get any other head then you need the patch for sure, and most Remo and Evans heads have one included in the box.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/remo-powerstroke-3-clear-bass-drum-head-with-black-dot

Thanks all. I went with the EMAD since more people recommended it and we got a new instructor today (loved the old one but he moved) and he also recommended it.

So, I want to add a regular pillow or cut a hole or both? If Dad cuts a hole, what is the best way to do it or just wait till I replace the front original head which isn't happening any time soon. Or, should I buy one of those special pillows?

You all should have warned me drumming is an expensive hobby (especially with some of the cool gear). Didn't think that part through when I agree to all this. :) Oh well.. he loves and and he is sounding better and better all the time.

I know some will not agree, but if one is not micing the bass drum, there is very little reason to cut a hole in the front head. With a EMAD head there is little reason to put a pillow inside the bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

The EMAD is designed the way it is so you don’t need pillows. Between the plastic tray and the foam rings there’s plenty of built in muffling. For tom heads I would recommend Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2s. Both have built in muffling to kill some of the high pitched overtones, and are 2 ply so will last a long time. They are easy to tune and sound good close up. Both are easy to get a good sound out of for a younger drummer still learning how to tune. Also, beater doesn’t really matter at this point, just make sure you install a protective patch of n the head as stated above.

Last edited:
We got the head, so when its open, just put a regular pillow in it? With a case or without? What is the foam for that came with the head? Thanks

The EMAD is designed the way it is so you don’t need pillows. Between the plastic tray and the foam rings there’s plenty of built in muffling. For tom heads I would recommend Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2s. Both have built in muffling to kill some of the high pitched overtones, and are 2 ply so will last a long time. They are easy to tune and sound good close up. Both are easy to get a good sound out of for a younger drummer still learning how to tune. Also, beater doesn’t really matter at this point, just make sure you install a protective patch of n the head as stated above.

Should of read your post first. Tom heads are good for now but thanks as we will probably need one sometime. Got the new beater and not sure if it makes a difference but made husband happy. What do we do with those foam rings (or look for a youtube video on how to install?

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it as does my son.

Back