Favorite head & beater for Mapex Armory

drummom

I know some will not agree, but if one is not micing the bass drum, there is very little reason to cut a hole in the front head. With a EMAD head there is little reason to put a pillow inside the bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

Husband said no to cutting the head. For the front we have the original mapex head (though at some point want to change it out for something cooler).

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
For what it's worth I use the Aquarian Force I Clear batter head with an Aquarian Modern Vintage with internal glued Felt Strip for the reso head.
No real need for any internal dampening but I still throw an Evans EQ Pad inside to absorb some frequencies.
Favorite pedal beater is the Danmar Signature Zoro Square Felt beater. Nice punch.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Lots of information here. Lots of confusing information also.
He's 9 so stick to basics. A Clear Pinstripe & a small pillow will work perfectly on his kit. (I still use this combination after 40 years) Have tried everything else but have always come back to this :)

gish

What do we do with those foam rings?

The foam rings are meant to be inserted into the plastic tray to muffle the head. There should have been 2 rings included, a thin one and a wider one. Try them both, see which one you like best. Should be plenty of YouTube videos if you need a visual example .

drummom

Back... only replaced the base drum and now need to get a new head. Someone gave us a not so great 16x16 pacific floor tom. Our Armory has a 16x16 so will this give us a different sound or just fix it to donate to the school? I was looking at this for price to replace all our heads and use the old head on the pacific. Any opinions? Trying to keep cost down. We got the EMAD base drum head (which was expensive) and its held up really well. Other drum heads are ok but the snare is getting really worn. Considering these. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Evans/...D-Dry-Snare-Head-10-12-16-in-1500000149205.gc

Back... only replaced the base drum and now need to get a new head. Someone gave us a not so great 16x16 pacific floor tom. Our Armory has a 16x16 so will this give us a different sound or just fix it to donate to the school? I was looking at this for price to replace all our heads and use the old head on the pacific. Any opinions? Trying to keep cost down. We got the EMAD base drum head (which was expensive) and its held up really well. Other drum heads are ok but the snare is getting really worn. Considering these. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Evans/...D-Dry-Snare-Head-10-12-16-in-1500000149205.gc
Yeah that's a good set if you're going to stick with Evans.