favorite groove songs for you drummers?

jasyr

... was talking to a friend and he said his favorite tune to play drums to is Everyday People and Thank You by Sly. I googled this topic and there were no threads about it. So as a bass player, (& drum player when no one's around) what are some pocket numbers you really dig to play? can be metal, blues, soul, R&B, jazz ( though i can't play it), rock etc. Doesn't need to be as uplifting as EP... can be any feeling as long as it grooves! I often play Girls Got Rhythm from AC/DC by myself for 20 minutes or more.

?
j

To many to mention. Cinnamon girl...Back in black....Bowies rebel rebel...a good train beat groove by The Ranch called clutterbilly...there are so many that I can't even think!.

I have a whole host of songs that I enjoy playing over the years whether live or just for practice that help "reset" my pocket and groove. They may not be the most complex songs in the world which is the point, the point is just to find and sit in that pocket and make music that "feels" good again.

A few off the top of my head:

Night Moves - Seger
Anything Motown.....but Midnight Train to Georgia is a favorite
Stevie Wonder as mentioned above
John Mayer - Gravity......for slow blues plocket, or the Live version of "Don't Need no Doctor"
Lawyers Guns and Money
SRV for Texas shuffles
Roomful of Blues "That's Right" for classic swung blues......frankly anything on that album is worth playing
American Girl

... was talking to a friend and he said his favorite tune to play drums to is Everyday People and Thank You by Sly. I googled this topic and there were no threads about it. So as a bass player, (& drum player when no one's around) what are some pocket numbers you really dig to play? can be metal, blues, soul, R&B, jazz ( though i can't play it), rock etc. Doesn't need to be as uplifting as EP... can be any feeling as long as it grooves! I often play Girls Got Rhythm from AC/DC by myself for 20 minutes or more.

?
j
I like to play usually complex (or more complex I should say) songs, but when I just want to jam and practice precision I play the surprisingly hard Billie Jean, or Papa Don't Preach (Madonna) or Shot in the dark (Ozzy). They sound really simple (and they are) but the trick is to keep a machine like tempo all the way through. You really have to fix your focus to prevent you from drifting. Papa don't preach has some very fun snare rolls that you can really wail on. Other simple (less simple) song is Over the mountain (again Ozzy).
now not simple but fun to play Stand up and shout (Dio), Still of the night (Whitesnake) ,Dead Cell (Papa roach), Laid to rest (Lamb of god), Waking the demon (Bullet for my valentine) it has an awesome paradiddle part with double bass and snare). Red hot (Motley Crue), God of emptiness (Morbid Angel), Spheres of madness (Decapitated). Juular (Devin Townsend) In this song the snare plays doubles in 1,2,3,and 4, the hats play singles and the bass is I believe 32nds... maybe 16ths I can't count.. The living infinite (Soilwork) very very fun song to play.
now on the machine like double bass Road of resistance (Baby Metal). and I stop there for now.

Son of s Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield
Getaway by Earth Wind and Fire
Sing a Simple Song by Sly and The Family Stone

Last edited:
Oh Pretty woman is a really easy song to play but I like the transitions and driving nature of it.

here is a playlist of some of mine:

it sometimes changes, but these are my standard favorites

"Come Dancing" from Jeff Beck's "Wired" album, 1976

I always dug the chorus section? to that tune. Great memories. Oh..i remember seeing this band called Sylvester..a group of Berkley musicians doing Led boots that rocked that tune like you'd never believe. This was over 20 years ago yet I've never forgotten that band..wow.

?
j
Damn straight AC⚡DC is the most versatile rock band with hits and some if the most iconic and enduring music of the last 40+ years.
I’d also suggest some of these classics:
Steely Dan’s Deacon Blueshttps://youtu.be/ICK6e9WK2A8
Three Dog Night - Old fashioned love songhttps://youtu.be/xYV1QyMMFSw
Lynyrd skynyrd- I Know a Little
Bread- Mother Freedom

Just some tunes I got groovy memories from...not every one is a "groove" per se but all are tunes that really speak to me on a 'timing' level. There are so many more, practically endless really, to be honest. Some drum grooves that are completely embedded into my being from childhood on aren't even integral parts of songs, like this one on Vangelis's To The Unknown Man....I don't know who played that, maybe Vangelis himself, but to this day I consider it some of the grooviest playing I know. Of course, tastes are individual...

Green Onions
Moanin'
Stratus
Wildlife
Chill
Ginseng Woman
Eminence Front
Shake Everything You Got
Blues For Los Angeles

Ohhh I forgot this one, it's super easy but its got the groove!

Every 1 loves some Hot Chocolate.

Back